Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it possible to be a fan and not watch the show?

Lektra Bolt

So a while ago I found out my friend liked pony. We got to talking and I found out another thing: He said engages in the fandom, but doesn't watch the show. I don't understand how this is possible. He doesn't get show references, and he can't use show canon to back up his ideas in talks discussing things in the show that need to be explained. Like pony names, or if so and so character has a likeable personality.

So can someone please explain this to me, and start a healthy discussion? Is it really possible to be a fan of FIM and engage in the fandom while not watching any episodes? How does this work?

• Brohoof 1

I guess you can enjoy different aspects of the fandom without seeing the show.

They could be a fan of other parts of the franchise like they like to collect toys/plushies. Or maybe they have read the comics or they just really enjoy the artwork. :)

You don't necessarily have to watch the show to love the franchise; I admit that it is odd but to each there own, you know :)

• Brohoof 2

He's definitely not a liar. He said he likes videos about pony and might have mentioned Flufflepuff. I don't recall now, but I do fondly recall he said he engages in the fandom but doesn't watch. He's incredibly hard to talk to about character stuff, cause if I reference something that happened in the show to completely disprove a theory he has he's like Huh. There's just things you can't learn by reading a wiki.

Anyone else?

Hey, a fan is a fan. I guess he just likes the vibe of the show, or some such thing. It is a toy commercial, after all. It is aesthetically pleasing.

Remember: Being a die-hard seen every episode 1,000 times owns every funko vinyl including the crappy translucent variants fan is not a virtue.

• Brohoof 1

As a new Brony who is still watching his way through Season 2, I know what it's like to be sorta out of the loop in terms of characters and theories and the like...but hey, if you love the fandom and all the creative stuff it fosters (as I do)...well, a fan is a fan, right?

That's not saying I don't plan to finish up to Season 4 though...just a few more all-night marathons should do it ;)

Edited by Strigidae
  • Brohoof 2

Well, you can really be into fan content like music and PMVs yet have little interest in the source material. You can also like the fandom itself; this one is quite friendly so I can imagine liking that. I do wonder why he would participate in discussions that assume knowledge of the show, then, though. This fandom is big enough that it's not necessary if your interests lie solely with fanmade content.

• Brohoof 4

It's definitely possible!

When I first became a brony, I didn't have the Hub and I was stuck with dial-up so I wasn't able to watch the show; but I gorged on fan media at school and talked to fellow bronies for almost six months before finally being able to 

I guess you can enjoy different aspects of the fandom without seeing the show.

They could be a fan of other parts of the franchise like they like to collect toys/plushies. Or maybe they have read the comics or they just really enjoy the artwork. :)

You don't necessarily have to watch the show to love the franchise; I admit that it is odd but to each there own, you know :)

That's true.  I consider myself to have been a fan of G3 back in the day, despite having never watched the movies.  

Mlp is first and foremost a toy franchise. You can like it without ever seeing the show. I know a number of collectors who have liked MLP for decades but don't watch it. Don't forget, it's been around for 31 years now.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't consider them a real "fan".

Chances are, if they're in the community but don't actually watch the show or read any canon material, it means they're just in it because its a fad and it gets them a new set of friends...there's a lot of people like that in the Homestuck community, and it bothers me.

I'm guessing hey're just involved with the fandom because they like the character archetypes and designs and shipping, but they know nothing about how they actually act or what they've actually done. It seems selfish to me.  :(

Edited by AmberDust

maybe.. what happened to me

the firts episode then I saw of MLP FIM was Dragonshy, and I liked the episode

but later, about eight days later I saw PONY.MOV, from this day I begin to take true interesting in the show and I became a Brony and I saw all the episodes of MLP FIM and all class to fandom too (music remix, parodies, comics,  rule34 etc..)

shortly, I am brony thanks to PONY.MOV because that's when I started to take interest in the show.

have a nice day /)

Edited by Samuelsky

If he considers himself a brony and hasn't watched the show, let him think what he will.  But honestly, I don't consider your friend to be a brony.  If he hasn't/does not watch(ed) the show and is only there because of the fanbase, he isn't a a fan.  He's more of what I like to call a "fanbase fan" or a bandwagon jumper.  It sounds like he's being a lemming and saying that because it's "trendy" or whatever.

It's like going to Alcoholics Anonymous having never tasted alcohol before.

Edited by Wyzecat
  • Brohoof 1

Smells like someone just trying to get in on the novelty of bronydom (not too novel after 4 years I guess), but it's possible to just support the fandom's love and tolerance message.

This fandom has sooooo much positive energy, it's amazing. I can definitely understand someone wanting to be a part of that even if they didn't like the show.

Edited by BronySteel

Yes, it is possible. However, not actually watching he show would leave you at a loss in some points. For instance, various jokes and references that bronies tend to make wouldn't make sense to you.

Yes, as I am kinda sorta in this boat. I have seen a little bit of FiM but never a full episode. I have watched some G1 (trying to get through the entire series there) and have every intention of starting FiM. For me MLP is a bit different as i remember when it came out - like 80's - then the internet got a hold of it and made it weird, so GIFS & college humor brought me here :)

OH - and I like the ice cream bars.    

• Brohoof 1