Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you rather be assimilated by the Cybermen, or the Borg?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

I'd escape. Everyone lives!

If I REALLY, REALLY didn't have a choice, I guess I'd choose to be a Cyberman. Maybe I'd end up like Handles.

12768cae030ba21134daf377fceb730f.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Borg. Because at least I would be somewhat human, and a skilled medical officer can fix me (if a starship ever finds me) and that there's kind of no hope to be saved if you're turned in a cyber man.

• Brohoof 2

The Borg.

While neither are what I exactly strive for in terms of transhumanism, the Borg at least have a little more going for them. They share their intelligence and absorb the knowledge, culture, and technology of those they conquer. Once you're a part of them, your mind becomes a part of an intelligence that spans multiple galaxies, your awareness suddenly stretches to the furthest stars, and you have the memories of billions of lives.

The Cybermen? You get all of the loss of self with none of the cool stuff mentioned above. Each cyber-unit is self contained, their orders come from regular updates and limited instructions. Honestly, for one of the Doctor's chief adverseries, the Cybermen are kind of pathetic as far as sci-fi bad guys go.

Yeah I have no idea who any of these guys are Ill go ahead and go down fighting rather than joining their communist regimes

Not know who they are? Oh kids these days not knowing two of the greatest science fiction franchises of all time.

The Borg are a hive minded race of cyborgs from Star Trek and the Cybermen are forcibly "upgraded" (although those like me would call the stiff movements and lack of sensory organs beyond sight would call that a downgrade) humans that frequently face off against the Doctor in Doctor Who.

Funny enough, but both factions actually were intentional satire's of communism for their respective shows.

• Brohoof 1

The Borg.

While neither are what I exactly strive for in terms of transhumanism, the Borg at least have a little more going for them. They share their intelligence and absorb the knowledge, culture, and technology of those they conquer. Once you're a part of them, your mind becomes a part of an intelligence that spans multiple galaxies, your awareness suddenly stretches to the furthest stars, and you have the memories of billions of lives.

The Cybermen? You get all of the loss of self with none of the cool stuff mentioned above. Each cyber-unit is self contained, their orders come from regular updates and limited instructions. Honestly, for one of the Doctor's chief adverseries, the Cybermen are kind of pathetic as far as sci-fi bad guys go.

Not know who they are? Oh kids these days not knowing two of the greatest science fiction franchises of all time.

The Borg are a hive minded race of cyborgs from Star Trek and the Cybermen are forcibly "upgraded" (although those like me would call the stiff movements and lack of sensory organs beyond sight would call that a downgrade) humans that frequently face off against the Doctor in Doctor Who.

Funny enough, but both factions actually were intentional satire's of communism for their respective shows.

yeah I had limited knowledge of the borg considering the famous quote "resistance is futile.." is as well known as "I am your father!"
  • Brohoof 2

yeah I had limited knowledge of the borg considering the famous quote "resistance is futile.." is as well known as "I am your father!"

A stock phrase indeed, one that gets parroted out of context too often, at least I think. In-context, to them, it's not always a warning, it's a genuine greeting. They believe their victory of total assimilation is inevitable, but they see it as a good thing to those they assimilate. By their very nature, they aren't motivated by selfishness.

For the Cybermen, they usually drone, "you will be upgraded" when they are being friendly and "you are not compatible, you will be deleted, delete, delete, delete" when they are not.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

The Borg.

"Concurrent" Cybermen are pathetic, yes. But their future version are more formidable and "Borg-esque"; just check "Nightmare in Silver" (238)-[NS7E12]

• Brohoof 1

"Concurrent" Cybermen are pathetic, yes. But their future version are more formidable and "Borg-esque"; just check "Nightmare in Silver" (238)-[NS7E12]

Oh yeah! That episode was great!

Finally though right?! For all their talk of "upgrading" the Cybermen's standard shell design looks about as technologically advanced as the stinkin' Tin Man! (Actually, with their very pointed lack of emotion, they almost make an interesting foil to him.)

I mean the Daleks were given a proper meta "upgrade" in their debut episode of the New Series in Dalek. One thing that impressed me was how they managed to take the admittedly silly looking monsters and actually succeed in making them legitimately threatening again.

• Brohoof 1

Given the choices, Borg. More likely to be saved by a Starship, than to become the Doctors new "Handles". :c

More likely to be saved by a Starship, than to become the Doctors new "Handles". :c

HEY. Life's about taking chances, and if I'm going to be mentally dead in one way or the other, I'd like to continue betting on fate.

Comfort is irrelevant.