Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Retired

Hey guys! I was wondering what others think about this?

Is the correct term for our characters in the MLP fandom a pony OC [or Original Character], or Pony FC [or Fan Character]?

I personally think that fan character is the most correct term due to our characters being only fan creations... but! I want to see what others think about it! :3

• Brohoof 3

Pony FC is the correct term, you're right. I tend to use FC a lot more, but at other times I'll use pony OC as it's more universal.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 1

I personally thought the correct term is Fan Character, but over the years, I've stopped being so spergy over the two terms and use OC much more often...

• Brohoof 1

i don't suppose it matters one way or the other, but I always her the term as "pony OC".

Yeah, I always hear it too. I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on the subject. ^.^

Pony FC is the correct term, you're right. I tend to use FC a lot more, but at other times I'll use pony OC as it's more universal.

Hmm, that's true!

You could use whatever term you like. Most people use "Pony OC", myself included.

I'm sure! I tend to use Pony FC, although I think I can understand why others prefer to use OC instead. ^^

I personally thought the correct term is Fan Character, but over the years, I've stopped being so spergy over the two terms and use OC much more often...

Heh! That makes sense as well. ^^ I am just curious. xD

• Brohoof 1

...I think people may be right with FC, now that I think about it. At some point I think OC just caught on more, and self-perpetuated a good deal.

Kinda tempted to call my OCs FCs now, but it may be a little more confusing. Hm.

I had never actually heard the term until you said it here.

Really? :o Ah, that's odd but totally possible! 

For the benefit of those who do not know, as pointed out earlier, a fan character is a creation of a fan of x or y show/videogame/story/book/etc. that has been created by another person. It usually means that you have created a character that belongs to an already existing world, of course, created by someone else, and you create a fan character about that certain show/videogame/etc.. As an example: MLP fan characters, The Lion King fan characters, Harry Potter fan characters, etc. 

Original characters, however, are characters entirely made by you. Their entire being does not exist anywhere else, only through your own head/art/stories. They are not linked to any previously existing setting like fan characters are.. it's somewhat complicated but... As an example, my wolf fursona, Katja, is an original character. My ponysona, December Morning, is based on MLP, therefore, she is a fan character. :>

...I think people may be right with FC, now that I think about it. At some point I think OC just caught on more, and self-perpetuated a good deal.

Kinda tempted to call my OCs FCs now, but it may be a little more confusing. Hm.

I do not think it would be confusing at all. But whatever you decide, I'm rooting for ya. :D

• Brohoof 1

I tend to OC personally; though I can see where FC would be much more appropriate. While I am familiar with it, it's not one I've considered using. In any case, OC is my go-to phrase. ^^

I say OC to make it easily recognizable to others on this forum and pony people, but I personally prefer to say "character" or "char" in general.

Edited by bronislav84

I tend to OC personally; though I can see where FC would be much more appropriate. While I am familiar with it, it's not one I've considered using. In any case, OC is my go-to phrase. ^^

That makes sense! ^^ <3

I've never even heard of "Fan Character". When did that become a thing? It's always been "OC" from what I know.

Ah, it is a term widely used more in the deviantART community; it is where I started to get involved in the internet. It was used to make a distinction that you made an "original character" that is not tied to any other copyrighted setting. This character is completely mine, however, a fan character is one that is based upon a copyrighted franchise/character ["Sonic fan character, MLP fan character] etc. I have recently discovered that the term is not common in the brony fandom. That's why i was curious about the subject. :>

I say OC to make it easily recognizable to others on this forum and pony people, but I personally prefer to say "character" in general.

That is another good option too! :D

• Brohoof 2

I think for people that aren't in a fandom, they tend to use the term "Fan Character", since they may know the canon characters in something, but not familiar with people creating their own characters,so they'd call them Fan Characters, or they simply don't know a term such as "Original Character" exists" so seeing fan art, they just say "fan character".

Where as someone in a fandom, would more than likely use the term "Original Character" Since they're very familiar with most/all the canon characters and a fan of whatever the character might be from.

I use OC. FC might be the correct term, but it always brings to mind "football club" to me. :P Pony Football Club? Trottingham Hotspur, perhaps. XD

Both Pony OC and Ponysona are correct, similarly, fish and fishes are the correct use to the singular form "Fish". I use both terms, for I like variety to my vocabulary, so if you wish to use either names, go ahead and speak as you will.

• Brohoof 1