Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Religious Tolerance Thread

Shenron00

As much as religion supposed to be a good thing .some  people use it to bash others. and that makes it hard to accept and tolerant it.

but it's not just religion people use there race, sexuality and other things to bash others who are different.

I am not perfect and i never will be but i believe that everyone  should try and be tolerant wither they agree with it or not.

but i understand it's hard . i have a hard time being open-minded about religion but i still try and Tolerant it

• Brohoof 1

If everypony kept their religion to themselves and themselves only, did not teach creationism, or use their beliefs to persecute others or try to forcablly insert their beliefs into ours court rooms, schools, town halls, or any part of our government and politics and all the money that was spent on a church was spent on each other, rather than building a new building or a megalythic structure to support Jebus, than there would be no more problems.

The problem comes from those teaching their children creationism, that gays are horrible and evil people that deserve to be put to death and than go get law degrees to insert their beliefs into everyone elses lives. :okiedokielokie:

So if none of that other stuff happend, we could tolorate other ponies beliefs, but they don't want to keep it to themselves so tolorance is not what they get. -_-

• Brohoof 5

If all religion disappears off the face of the earth, I'd actually believe in God. Human beings are not perfect (even if we're supposed to be in "his" image) but some religious teachings are so screwed up it makes me seriously wonder if they're worshipping someone else entirely...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@,@, @@1Bit,  

For those of you who know me, I have a question. Is this thread really worth my time? Is it worth commenting upon? I don't want to keep talking to a wall and get nowhere because some people have already made up their minds about this subject.

Edited by Steel Accord

@,@, @@1Bit,  

For those of you who know me, I have a question. Is this thread really worth my time? Is it worth commenting upon? I don't want to keep talking to a wall and get nowhere because some people have already made up their minds about this subject.

It may be worth commenting upon. I believe most posters here have written things because they are curious about what others think.

• Brohoof 1

@,@, @@1Bit,  

You're aware of some of the issues I've had with religious persons in the past, and it benefited me to hear that you didn't subscribe to the same things I'd been exposed to as a young person.  Things that colored my impressions for a long time.  I think you make the most headway just by being someone who doesn't fit the stereotypes I'd come to expect.  You can do that in any topic.

• Brohoof 3

I'm not by any means religious, but I can appreciate the fact that people are (So long as it doesn't lead to discrimination and whatnot).

Used to be intolerant as fek tho, when I first became an atheist (Constantly getting involved with derpy religious arguments in youtube comments >.<). Although from what I can tell that does seem to be a pretty common trend, realized later on that I was being really petty >.<

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I tolerate any faith-based belief system by default, and only revise my opinion if someone starts to wield that belief system against others. The tricky thing about religion is that because it's faith/interpretation based, a particular religion can mean many different things to many different people. The fact that we have so many different denominations of Christianity is a testament to that.

So when someone says "oh they're not a true Christian" it just seems kind of pointless since what they're saying is "they don't believe in the specific interpretation of Christianity that I subscribe to" which, really, any Christian can say about any other Christian. The homophobic religious person believes their interpretation is valid, just as the non-homophobic person thinks their interpretation is valid, with the only difference being their individual beliefs or what they were told by their church. So I just treat each situation on a case-by-case basis; so you're Christian? Are you the type of Christian who is going to try and force others to live by rules from your religion? No? Then you're fine. Want to pass legislation that will keep same-sex couples from getting married due to your "beliefs"? Then we have a problem.

Really, it seems like this whole thing can be pretty soundly handled by saying "Every religion is both terrible and great depending on who you ask and who is using the label. Don't jump to conclusions based just on someone's religion, or any isolated facet of their identity."

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 5

I think this thread is quite a nice idea =) 

Well when it comes to religion, I really dont know I guess. I have no beliefs and follow no religion, but I don't really think I'm an atheist, purely because I don't NOT believe there's God(s), I just don't know what to believe really =3 I guess it doesn't help that Christianity is so negatively viewed in my school as well. Most of the students there are extreme atheists =(

So, basically, you're agnostic?
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Most super-atheist-science-is-everything types need to know two things:

1. Science = Religion

and

2. Current popular beliefs =/= The truth forever.

Psh. Thing is, most atheists believe that science is changeable.

Sort of the thing with science : P

Also I don't see why you need to be an atheist to follow science .-. A LOT of religious people do as well. [The whole 'lol science is a religion' thing is fairly derpy tbh >.<]

Doesn't really seem to be fitting with this thread tbh

Edited by Aleh
  • Brohoof 1

Note i put quotation marks, mocking the people in power who think that they, infact, THE "Religion", who think they are, even if they dont say it outright, God and they can say whatever they want because they believe they are above people and can do no wrong. Sorry if i did anything offensive. However, my first post was true, I do hate Religion, but I dont hate the Religious. Also note that while most consider Religion and Spirituality the same thing, I do not. Spirituality is what something like Christianity or Islam or whatever should be, a personal relationship with God/ Allah. Religion, however, is an institution made to control people. Thats just my opinion. If you believe differently, power to you.

So in case anyone mistakes what I say, yes, I respect and/ or tolerate your beliefs. I dont respect/ tolerate those who abuse them.

I understand why you would hate people who abuse power, and use their religion as an excuse. But I don't agree that religion was an institution made to control people. How people use religion is their own choice, and it's not always a good choice. I don't think it's correct to say that religion is an institution made to control people, by saying that you're defining religion as a different term than others who use it. 

Just to clarify, here's the Webster dictionary definition of religion: 

religion

noun re·li·gion \ri-ˈli-jən\

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

I believe this is the definition that should be used when discussing this topic

• Brohoof 2

I been thinking.... why cant Science be considered ones own way of studying God's creation? Why consult a 2000+ year old book that may or may not have been modified by humans, when we can find out about God studying his creation?

I'm pretty sure a lot of people hold that belief. Obviously everybody will follow their own religion in a different way, but I've personally met very few people who have felt that there is any need for conflict between science and religion (Guess it depends fairly highly on where you are xD)

I guess it depends on how you interpret it though.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I been thinking.... why cant Science be considered ones own way of studying God's creation? Why consult a 2000+ year old book that may or may not have been modified by humans, when we can find out about God studying his creation?

That IS considered legit by many faiths from Catholicism to Hinduism to Buddhism. The Pontifical Academy of Sciences in the Vatican isn't just for show and Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama, is a world renowned neuroscientist.

The two are not antithetical. Like science, the structure of religion must adapt with new discoveries as they are made. The Catholic Church accepted the theory of evolution as being within our understanding of God and Pope Francis said he would baptize an alien if said alien wished to join the Church.

I myself am a transhumanist. For those of you who don't know, transhumanism is a theoretical idea that the human body as we understand it will become obsolete and that should be readily embraced. To me, this doesn't contradict my religious beliefs, in fact, it reinforces them!

well IRL, I know only one christian  :P Everyone else are atheist's

That might be a cultural thing. To my understanding, and I admit I could be wrong, the majority of U.K. citizens don't identify as being religious. Whereas the U.S. is one of the most religious countries in the world, even exempting the majority count of Christians.

Just to clarify, here's the Webster dictionary definition of religion: 

religion

noun re·li·gion \ri-ˈli-jən\

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

I believe this is the definition that should be used when discussing this topic

THIS! This is what most religious people define as religion. It's personal spirituality with an external narrative.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

Being a muslim, I treat everyone in a similar way, and I hate people who don't respect other religions or belifies. For me, everyone is a human and a brother/sister, I will hear every point of view unless it's only insults without and fundament

• Brohoof 1

Being a muslim, I treat everyone in a similar way, and I hate people who don't respect other religions or belifies. For me, everyone is a human and a brother/sister, I will hear every point of view unless it's only insults without and fundament

Did you mean "without foundation" at the end of that?

FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg

Sorry... I just had to... I agree with Shenron's opinion and am Catholic exactly... But I still have meh own doubts sometimes, but still am respectful and understanding of any religion.

• Brohoof 2

Indeed, I don't know what happened o_O

Whatever, we all make spelling errors from time to time. I was just confirming what you meant.

FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER

img-3645305-1-Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.j

Sorry... I just had to... I agree with Shenron's opinion and am Catholic exactly... But I still have meh own doubts sometimes, but still am respectful and understanding of any religion.

As one who was also raised Catholic, I was brought up by my parents and the priests telling me that doubt was healthy. How else can your faith be true if it's never tested? If you reject doubt entirely, you'll just be an unthinking cultist, droning prayers that have no true meaning to you. It's how you overcome doubt that defines you as a person of faith.

• Brohoof 1

@Steel Accord: I know. I may have doubts, and I know that that is an okay thing. I believe in what I'm saying most of the tme, but when I have a disagrreement in mind I just think: "If it's the will of God" instead. Since everyone and everything was made by God, it all must be good, since he is. If he planned it all beforehand, then everything that happens, was supposed to. That's meh view on things at least... If I made sense at all with what I just said. X)

• Brohoof 1

How much discussion can you have when every single person is completely agreeing with each other?

So then can I go into the gay thread and tell them I disagree with their lifestyle?

You don't necessarily have to agree with the religion, but outright bashing people's religions is something that should be saved for the debate pit.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

So then can I go into the gay thread and tell them I disagree with their lifestyle?

You don't necessarily have to agree with the religion, but outright bashing people's religions is something that should be saved for the debate pit.

I don't disagree with the lifestyle, just to prove the point we all don't share that view, but I do agree with your actual point.

This is why I don't go into threads speicifically asking for groups I don't belong to. For instance if a thread called for people who disliked Sombra as a villain, or pegasisters, while I'm neither so my posts on those threads would be an intrusion.

So if you're stance on religion is outright anti-theistic (which on a majority basis actually boils down to "anti-Christian") why would you comment on a thread called "religious tolerance?"

Edited by Steel Accord

Well, I consider myself a Christian yet I don't attend church  :P. I am rather religious tolerant. I don't care if someone is of a different religion or of no religion. These are all opinions in the end  ;)

• Brohoof 2