Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Religious Tolerance Thread

Shenron00

Nope, just looking for an answer. You say pretty confidently that the killer absolutely will get his justice one way or another (I'm assuming you mean in this life), but what about the killer who doesn't?

You presume too much, my words were "get his justice one way or another" I didn't say in this world necessarily.

@@NinjaPomeranian,

If you don't believe in a deity or greater order to the universe, might I ask what your view specifically is on the after life?

You presume too much, my words were "get his justice one way or another" I didn't say in this world necessarily.

I'm sorry. Forgive me for my presumptuousness.

Where will he get his justice, then, if heaven and hell are not real places but states of mind?

@@NinjaPomeranian,

If you don't believe in a deity or greater order to the universe, might I ask what your view specifically is on the after life?

Oh well,is hard to explain :blush:

I dont really know,hence sometimes I dont believe in afterlife at all and in the next minutes I do.However when I have moments I believe in afterlife ...I know it will sound stupid,but I view it as a hotel (yeah,yeah I know :unsure: ) or something where the persons that did good souls are going in luxurious rooms and the bad ones get dirty ones with shitty services or something.Again is hard to explain,I dont really know how to view the afterlife better than that

And when I dont believe in it I sorta imagine is the same um....feeling to before you were born,so to speak.

Oh well,guess I will find out when my time will come.With a little bit of luck,maybe I will have a fancy bed in my hotel room :lol:

I'm sorry. Forgive me for my presumptuousness.

Where will he get his justice, then, if heaven and hell are not real places but states of mind?

Who says they can't be both at once?

Oh well,is hard to explain :blush:

I dont really know,hence sometimes I dont believe in afterlife at all and in the next minutes I do.However when I have moments I believe in afterlife ...I know it will sound stupid,but I view it as a hotel (yeah,yeah I know :unsure: ) or something where the persons that did good souls are going in luxurious rooms and the bad ones get dirty ones with shitty services or something.Again is hard to explain,I dont really know how to view the afterlife better than that

And when I dont believe in it I sorta imagine is the same um....feeling to before you were born,so to speak.

Oh well,guess I will find out when my time will come.With a little bit of luck,maybe I will have a fancy bed in my hotel room :lol:

Well I'm a bit confused then. If the dead are rewarded or punished as per their deeds in life, how is that dissimilar to the concepts of Heaven or Hell?

Or even how the heroic were rewarded in Elysium and the wretched punished in Tartarus in the Greek underworld? Your version just sounds like a more banal, modern update to that.

Well it's entirely possible (by which I mean probable) that I misunderstood, but you said

Again, similar to what I was taught what Heaven and Hell really are. Namely, states of being.

When you say what heaven and hell “really are,” that implies that every alternative is not what they are. That may not have been your intention, but that's what was implicit in the way you put it.

Edited by Henny Penny Benny

Well it's entirely possible (by which I mean probable) that I misunderstood, but you said

When you say what heaven and hell “really are,” that implies that every alternative is not what they are. That may not have been your intention, but that's what was implicit in the way you put it.

I only suggested such, after all I can't claim to know, none of us can. The soul is not bound by physical laws so Heaven and Hell might be considered at once states of being as well as spiritual locations simultaneously.

• Brohoof 1

I only suggested such, after all I can't claim to know, none of us can. The soul is not bound by physical laws so Heaven and Hell might be considered at once states of being as well as spiritual locations simultaneously.

Forgive my unclarity, but I wasn't trying to ask about what heaven and hell really and truly are; rather, I was trying to get to and understanding of what you personally believe about them.

Forgive my unclarity, but I wasn't trying to ask about what heaven and hell really and truly are; rather, I was trying to get to and understanding of what you personally believe about them.

I believe I just told you.

Basically, I think that we shouldn't punish criminals, or "bad" people, but instead do everything we can to get them back into society as functioning members of it. In fact, our judicial system and many other parts of our politics are too preoccupied with the notion of deserving things. In a country as rich as the U.S., where there can certainly be more than enough for everyone, "deserving" things is a superfluous notion we can afford to do away with. We shouldn't ask what people deserve, but instead what they need.

So, in case you're wondering, basically communism. Real communism, not the horrible failures we've seen so far.

That's what prison are for, sweethearth. They are not the place where you go to get "punish" it's the plac where criminals go to be "re-educated" or at least that's what it "IS".

I don't know, i'm not from USA so i can't say how well your criminals are doing in the "let's screw with the system" party. What i do know is that over here jail is way, i mean WAY MORE THAN PUNISH. i think we should work on that...

I don't want to get your debate out the topic, what i'm trying to say here is that: Justice is a pretty hard concept to execute, and your system, no, wait; and our system is not perfect at all... some people just don't get "justice".

Even in "heaven" and "hell" i think justice would be a really hard concept to do well.

@@Qliphoth,

Kind of tangential to the topic at hoof and I would politely request further deliberation be taken elsewhere. To briefly elaborate though, it depends on the state the prison is in, some are more interested in rehabilitation than others. I agree in that we should strive for reconstructive justice rather than retributive justice.

Edited by Steel Accord

Well I'm a bit confused then. If the dead are rewarded or punished as per their deeds in life, how is that dissimilar to the concepts of Heaven or Hell?

Or even how the heroic were rewarded in Elysium and the wretched punished in Tartarus in the Greek underworld? Your version just sounds like a more banal, modern update to that.

???Again,Im not sure on what to believe.

And dont shove idk what concept in my throat.

• 3 years later...

Oof, this thread has been dead since 2015! I’m not gonna try to revive it nor am I gonna be upset with the people who went off topic like 4 years ago, but I will say that I hope anyone reading this finds the religious view that best suits them and is tolerant of others! I have since converted to Agnostic Atheist, but I still respect those with differing opinions as long as they aren’t mean.

In all religions they  have one thing in common. Believing in a greater being and the afterlife. So I don't a damn what they believe or what the others do not believe. Just as long there's no killing each other over it.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I am very anti-religion and believe it's a huge curse to humanity. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut... some people believe in it, and that's fine too. I don't really care if people believe in it. If it brings you hope or comfort? Fantastic. You enjoy. It's when people use it as shield to justify being hateful and vitriolic when I begin to have a really big problem. Believe what you want but don't force it on others and don't use it as a shield against rightful criticism.

I don't care what your religion is as long as you don't use it to justify homophobia against bisexuals like me and gays. "My God said it's wrong" is not a valid argument against homosexuality. 

• Brohoof 5

12 hours ago, Celli said:

I don't care what your religion is as long as you don't use it to justify homophobia against bisexuals like me and gays. "My God said it's wrong" is not a valid argument against homosexuality. 

Amen to that.

I have an opinion on this that would definitely be seen as controversial by many. I personally don't actually tolerate religion as it is. I have made this clear before in the past, but I personally am anti-religion at this point. That doesn't mean I am anti-religious, you can have the beliefs all you want, but as the core of the beliefs themselves, I am against them. I am also against things like churches, which are on every street corner and quite a few are massive, taking in money tax-free with no penalty. In my case, my town has more churches than businesses and I have NEVER seen any of them help this town in any regard. We have had several businesses shut down in the past, and none of these places ever helped to keep them afloat. So these church buildings are a total waste of space and resources.

So yeah. I have no problem if you are religious unless you give me a problem, but religion as a whole is not something I like in the slightest. Mainly the Abrahamic ones.

Edited by Kyoshi

Personally, I love religion. I'm a strong Christian, and my church as been really good for me throughout my life. Of course, I'm also a strong supporter of religious freedom and tolerance. No one should be hating or shaming others for their religious beliefs. I don't mind too much what other people believe. I just hope that people can be friendly and loving about it. Perhaps the main thing I don't like is seeing misinformed and lies being spread about different religions. I've seen a good amount of lies spread about my church, and I feel pretty sad about it sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Celli said:

Well said!

As for me, It's the 21st century now. We don't live in biblical times any longer and what is acceptable or not has changed over the years.

Edited by Will Guide
My own thoughts
  • Brohoof 1

Pretty cool someone made a thread like this

I personally am Neopagan. My practice is technically eclectic, meaning I encorporate the beliefs of many ancient beliefs, and neopagan beliefs, but I mostly focus on Wicca and identify as a Wiccan typically. As a Wiccan, I work with 2 creator gods. The Mother Goddess and her her consort, The Horned God. Together they created the Earth and all life on it with equal love and effort. Certain beings who are deemed worthy go to the Summerland after death to learn divine secrets, then sent back to Earth to share divine knowledge with our kinsmen.

A common misconception is that we worship Satan. Namely because we practice the Occult and worship a god with horns and cloven hooves. This is simply untrue. The Wiccan faith has no mention of Satan, and the Horned One is an embodiment of the Universe's Masculine Energies and duality. He is nothing like Satan. As for the Occult part, we can only harm others within good reason, or our ill intent will be cast back upon us with equal force three times over. I only practice witchcraft to help those who seek my aid, and as a method for seeking enlightenment

As a whole, I believe that everyone should be free to believe as they do. I've spoken with a multitude of spiritual beings, and had 1 or 2 experiences which would be hard to explain or even prove, and yet, I don't know for sure what the whole truth is. My entire faith could be incorrect. But what I do know is that everyone deserves love and light in their lives, and I believe it is my divine duty to spread that light to everyone in my life. Blessed Be

Edited by Altastrofae
  • Brohoof 1

I am a Jedi. I believe in an all pervasive Force that speaks to us as we are able to understand it. Further Jedi are dedicated to self-mastery, service to their sphear hear of influance within reason and the tenets of the Jedi Code as they understand it. 

Common misconceptions

We DO NOT believe the Force works like Star Wars though some Jedi do believe in paranormal or supernormal happenings and abilities much like people that use Riki or other such energy work

We are allowed to love and have relationships but must be aware of the dangers of over attachment and being ruled by emotion rather than experiencing it. 

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, Jedishy said:

I am a Jedi. I believe in an all pervasive Force that speaks to us as we are able to understand it. Further Jedi are dedicated to self-mastery, service to their sphear hear of influance within reason and the tenets of the Jedi Code as they understand it. 

But I thought it was time for the jedi...to end

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

My beliefs go something like this: I am a Christian, therefore I believe in God, praying, reading the bible, and going to church, but I'm accepting of people who believe differently than me, I'm accepting of homosexual people and everything in between, I'm accepting of everyone, I don't push my religious views up people's faces, I believe you have the right to do whatever you want as long as you aren't hurting anyone, and it irritates me to no end how there's so many so called "Christians" that diss people for believing differently and all that. And this is where I refer to this....

On 4/6/2015 at 12:41 PM, Shenron00 said:

I just want to apologize for any homophobic, dishonest, oppressive "Christians" you may come across. I assure you that our religion does NOT encourage rudeness, or threatening people with Hell...

...couldn't have said it better myself. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 5