Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

why does everyone think twilight is autistic and has OCD?

ayetwili

I used to think many bronies make assumptions based on stereotypes. Twilight has Asperger's because she's smart. Rainbow Dash is gay because she's a tomboy. Applejack is straight because she's a farmer. Pinkie Pie has adhd because she's hyper. I don't know about Fluttershy. She does seem to have social anxiety, and that's based off of observation.

My headcanons, even the crazy ones, use things from the show, not stereotypes.

All ponies have some traits of autism, even Rarity. It takes more than a symptom or two to have autism.

Twilight may have autism. The symptoms are different for everyone. Take myself for example. I take things seriously, I'm easily obsessed with stuff, I have poor social skills, but I love people, I can read people, I show plenty of emotion, and I don't speak in a monotonous voice.

Not all introverts are autistic, and not all autistic people are introvert. Twilight is probably not autistic, and she's an introvert. I am autistic, and I'm an extrovert.

• Brohoof 1

I dislike all those arguments like Maud has asperger syndrome or Twilight is autistic etc.

I'm sure they're all fine.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

Twilight could potentially be on the Autism spectrum but then again so can any of them yet since we don't have any confirmation of it we can definitively say so. AS for OCD if it wasn't for the episodes Lesson Zero and It's About Time I would agree that while Twilight may have some obsessive and OCD like qualities that we couldn't confirm it but those episodes demonstrate such an obvious severe case of that I don't know any other explanation for Twilight's behavior in those episodes.

As for why so many people think Twilight is Autistic it is a combination of overthinking things a bit along with self projection/wishful thinking. Twilight may or may not be Autistic but she does have a lot of traits that are very common among certain points on the Autism spectrum which again dosen't mean she is on it but does mean that a lot of people particularly a lot of people that may be on the Autism spectrum do in fact notice this.

The reason for said wishful thinking speaks to how well these characters are written, a lot of people identify so strong with certain ponies that sometimes that can seep in a bit. Of course I caution anyone who is on the spectrum or not to be careful when trying to retroactively diagnose fictional characters. I have been meaning to do a youtube video stating just that for a long time but have just been too busy to do it.

Edited by Black Adam

I've always quite liked this analysis of Rainbow Dash's sexuality:

Maybe you'd better watch that video again because RD being gay is not the conclusion he comes to.

There is zero evidence from the show that suggests RD is gay and I don't buy the "wing boner" theory. 

I would say that RD shows many signs of having ADHD tho.

I was reading something online and everyone kept saying twilight has autism and OCD? Do you think she has autism and OCD because I don't think she does.

I don't think twilight has OCD, but I was unaware of her having mild high functioning autism (aspergers). There's nothing wrong with her, she just views the world differently and is smarter and just a little shy. The fact that no one cares she could have a mild developmental disorder and that the ponies all still stick together means they could all flourish and be the best that they could be.

I have mild high functioning autism too and I watch Seinfeld sometimes. I'm smart. I have seen "normal" people act worse than me.

The way the ponies get portrayed and get along, no one would even think taht some of them might have disorders. I believe they in a world that allows them to transcend labels almost like a kindness filled transhumanist utopia.

Einstein had high functioning autism.

He was quite the ladies man in adulthood and had plenty of friends and like-minded friends. No one cared he had a disorder. The only ones who made it a problem was those in school(schools are often a flawed system. College is more sophisticated).

I still see Twilight as pretty normal.

• Brohoof 1

Never seen anyone claim that Twilight is autistic. I certainly think there is no basis for it, either. She's a bit of an introvert, but that's it.

As for her having OCD, there's a slightly stronger case to be made for that, but I think it's more likely she's just a neatness freak.

About the above posts, what does Rainbow Dash being a lesbian have to do with the topic? Not only am I sorely confused, but not all cartoons need sexual representation. And two, Rainbow is a tomboy. Being a masculine girl doesn't make a character gay. Sheesh.

Anyways, about Twilight being autistic. I never heard anybody say this about Twilight, like ever....and it's odd someone would come up with that theory considering that not only have I seen any signs of autism in Twilight, but i'm not even sure how it derived. I wouldn't have a problem with it if she was.

About the OCD part, I believe people put her in that category because she's organized and has a spaz attack if something goes wrong or unorganized.

• Brohoof 2

i do see SOME similarities. and this comes not from an observer, but from someone whos high functioning autistic

Yay! I have high functionig autism too and she does seem to obsess over books and stuff. :D

It sort of reminds me about how I obsess over reading about chemistry(especially organic chemistry).

Maybe I should try getting back into college instead of being a little lazy, sad, and and sometimes unmotivated.

Edited by Microghost
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...
46 minutes ago, Scootaloo9074090 said:

Rainbow dash is autistic and Twilight might have ocd

nah they just crazy and stupid:derp:

why do people need to say complicated words to describe them.....

On 2015-04-23 at 10:45 AM, Fluttershutter said:

Because everybody thinks everybody is autistic these days.

true words of wisdom right here

• Brohoof 3

People like to put lables on everything and categorise people. Every charecter in MLP is unique and has their own personality. Does Twilight like to orginise things? Sure. Does that make her autistic or have OCD? Not really. :twi:

I don’t think that Twilight has Autism, but the way she goes nuts over things like getting a pony a present for Christmas makes me think that she has OCD, which would make sense because she needs everything perfect.

People too often confuse OCD with perfectionism and confuse autism with being socially awkward. While I understand the appeal in analyzing whether a character has a mental illness or not, I believe it would have been given more attention if Twilight actually had OCD or autism.

• Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, Kujamih said:

nah they just crazy and stupid:derp:

why do people need to say complicated words to describe them.....

true words of wisdom right here

character act like people too and also all of the mane six might have different mental illness.

• Brohoof 1

I've never really heard if it has been confirmed or not, I mean she's does like scheduling, and keeping things in order, but we don't know if Autism, and OCD should be a main cause of it.

I wonder if the writers ever got asked that question?

• 1 year later...