Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I want to write fanfiction but Im really scared to start. Any advice?

ZapFirePrincess

I've wanted to start writing fanfiction for my favorite fandoms (MLP mainly) but Im so afraid to go and do so when the skill level is raised so high. I am a decent writer and would like some tips or stories of how some of you guys started writing fanfics and how you got better.

To be honest. I've never posted any of my fan fic until recently (1 on fanfiction.net and a few others kinda hidden until i finish them) but I've learned to ignore the other writers. Just take your time to really get embedded into the story! read-reread and then post mabye a snippet or two for public reading. then just post the whole thing. (that's how I got my start) The one thing you really have to take in is Users input. Good and bad. This will allow you to learn where you need to tweak your writing. 

Bottom line: Just do it. write your heart out and just let others tell you what you need to change to make them the best they can be. 

Never let anyponies suggestions or comments stop you from writing. and ignore the raised bar, once you become more engulfed into writing fan fics then you can chase the higher marks. just write. and get comfortable with your fanbase, and build it. 

• Brohoof 2

The world needs great writers and classical authors, but as far as I can tell, it needs people who write fanfics much more. My advise, draw from your own life as much as you can; Blend your family members to create new people, go nuts with setting, push your plot to it's stretching point, and have fun in anyway you can. If you have fun and enjoy yourself and what you made, it won't matter if it's any good or bad, because in the end, happiness has a longer shelf life than popularity or money.

I got started by using writing to avoid getting therapy,  (long story). I improved immensly by exploiting my natural need to express myself perfectly, and studying writers from all times, places, colors and creeds. 

In hindsight, this whole post might not mean anything to you, but to summarize:

Write your stories, study famous writers, draw from your own life, tell haters to take a long walk off a short bridge, write, write, and write some more. Oh, and have fun!

• Brohoof 3

The biggest tip is to enjoy it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Write what you love, write as often as you want, don't force yourself to do it, accept constructive criticism... If you don't have an idea of what to write, I would start in the slice of life genre. It's the easiest to start out with, but it arguably has the most potential and the most chance that people will relate to it. I started with a slice of life romance and I consider myself a decent writer, but people tend to be drawn to something they can relate to. : P

• Brohoof 8

Realize that fanfiction does not sit at the very pinnacle of literature.  It's fanfiction; it's inherently derivative.  The point to fanfiction is, or had damn well ought to be, fun.  Exploring the preexisting world as you would like to explore it.  Don't expect accolades.  Don't expect a Pulitzer. xD  Just write it for yourself and for your own enjoyment.  Share it because that's what people do with creative works.  If you get positive feedback: Great.  If you get negative feedback: Great.  Because, so long as you're writing to satisfy your own interests, it doesn't necessarily matter if you get either, both, or neither.

How does a writer improve at writing?  They write.

• Brohoof 4

Don't be afraid to fall. A lot. In everything, you will do errors, but you need to acknowledge them and fix them as good as you can. Just to give you an idea, I'm rewriting a 5000 word long fic after hearing criticism, so don't be afraid to take some and do the good changes.

• Brohoof 1

I started less than two months ago. I write what I feel like which is something that works well for me. My range is bizarre, but I know I couldn't write a piece 'to order'. My big motivation is writing with the intention of having them as sound files on YouTube.

It's nice to have a well written piece with a cracking good story. I would rather read a good story with rough writing than an excellently written bore.

I've got in-house editing from CutGlass, which makes a huge difference. I think it has to involve a least two people who are serious. One writes, one checks. You can swap roles as you go. I mean, hell, you could swap half way through a piece?

My next statement is probably controversial and relates to the audience. Based on the response I got on Fimfiction for Pony Poets I felt it was the right thing to follow. Based on folk actually reading the piece in their hand it was way higher! Based on the ratio of likes/dislikes I wouldn't have bothered. Don't let low views numbers put you off. Basically I have an mlp fanfic about ponies on their holiday that does way better outside of the mlp fandom!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

It's all about how you do well in story. You might need a few plots to get somewhere.  If your going for epic then you need 20 or more plots.  You want to make an outline, beginning, middle, and ending  unless your going to continue and make 2 more books for it like I am or a few more.  But that's up to you.  To make a good book you must put details.  If you happen to get stuck try dreaming. That's what I use.  Although other people use different methods such as like writing stuff down, Art or just imagination.  Ok important parts you want to know if you want to make a first person book or a second person book or a third person book.   Popular is either first person or third person.  As a person is reading it... Or you can be epic and try to put all 3 of them...  Writing skills level 8 to 10....  Anyway start off easy first when you improve try to make a master piece to cherish.   Your main goal is to reach to the top.

Edited by Rye Snoot

The story you write is a story you get to enjoy before anyone else. 

It is a work from the heart, of blood sweat, and tears, to give back to the community.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As an hispanic author, all I can truly say is go for it. Trust me, starting off writing within a fandom of such proportions, which is filled with countless artists of all sorts, will most certainly stir a feeling of insignificance to the majority of 'newbies'. It's natural to flinch when exposed to an audience that might or might not hold esteem towards your work, but the point of dedicating your time on the crafting of a fanfiction, pictures or music is to enjoy yourself whilst improving your capabilities.

Remember, any detrimental critic towards your art just translates into another reason to soar, to show not only to those cretins, but to yourself as well, how much you can truly achieve.

Not a walk in the park, no one's ever said that. However, giving it the best I've got was all what I needed thus far, and results I've seen plenty.

Cheers, and good luck.

Edited by Shadow Beam

• 4 weeks later...

I started writing fanfics back in the late 1990's for Pokemon (Yeah, I'm 37.  Old brony, LOL)  I took a long hiatus from it and came back recently with a MLP Octavia/Vinyl fic.  I was afraid I was a bit rusty, but it's like riding a bike.  

All in all,  write what YOU want.  Some will love it, some will hate it,  but what matters is how much YOU love it.  If you don't enjoy writing it, what's the point?

A few tips I would give (and am guilty of ignoring) include:

Re-read your story after you write it, or chapters after you finish them.  Take time to re-read at least 3-4 times.  So many little errors slip by on the first proofread.  

Pay attention to your wording.  I've come to find that I overuse phrases a lot.  "She wondered idly", "Of course....", and so on. Not bad once or twice in a chapter.  Several times...  yeah.

I am very guilty of ignoring this tip, but...  If you're writing a long, multi-part story, and you don't have everything preplanned the way you want it to go....  resist the urge to post chapters as you finish them.  I was setting up for a certain character to set a happy ending in motion for my story, but the more I thought about it, the more deus ex machina (More on that one later) it felt to me.  I switched gears and had a more satisfying path that felt more believable to me, but I was also stuck with a chapter that suggested a plot thread that was ultimately scrapped.  (Not that I couldn't go back and re-write, but you get the idea)

Deus Ex Machina.  (Literally "God from the Machine") defined as "an unexpected power or event saving a seemingly hopeless situation, especially as a contrived plot device in a play or novel" (Thanks, Google)  This is when the day is saved out of left field by something with no real explanation.  Example: The Mane 6 are about to be devoured by the big bad. All hope is lost. Equestria will burn in flames.  All of a sudden, Twilight digs in the dirt and finds an ancient trinket that has never been referenced yet.  It glows and defeats the evil, and all is well.  SOMETIMES THIS WORKS.  In my humble opinion,  it always feels like a cheat. 

Anyway,  those are what I would suggest.  Feel free to do as you will, and best of luck to you!  Again, though,  I stress,  do what YOU like best!

• Brohoof 1

This topic seems to be asking for assistance concerning a fan fiction rather than showcasing completed work, and as such, I've moved it to the Writing & Fanfiction sub-section from Creative Resources.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For works over 5k words, remember to add problems, unexpected "walls" and other minor inconveniences to stress or challenge your characters; using their (previously established) skills and wits [or even better, use those to developt new ones with the sacred rule "show, do not tell" ].

Place them sparsely between the "main quest destination" and each key / plot element / event.

One of the things brony analists dislike more is when life contrivances [casualities] somewhat helps the story to advance without a proper reason for it [causation].

Of course, keep in check the pace (so your plane of narration does not "stall" and fall like a brick).

Edited by SilverComet

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Be open to critique! For the most part the fimfiction community is helpful and not overly elitist, as far as I can tell. But if that step makes you nervous, try posting stuff here to the Creative forums first. There should be a few people floating around willing to give your stuff feedback. Writing as an art is about improving and always expanding your horizons so you have all the tools needed to execute whatever crazy ideas come to you.

Edited by Ribbonfree

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to produce good material then encouraging proof-readers and editors are probably the most important assets - a well presented mediocre story is far less objectionable than a truly original piece hidden in a jungle of painful syntax errors and dismal spelling mistakes (or at least, I think so) and being encouraged to keep going (especially by the person / people who will be pointing out your mistakes) really helps.

One thing that encouraged me to post my first (and thus far only) MLP fan-fiction was realising that it really didn't matter and almost certainly won't be noticed. Listening to a few reviews of fan-fiction works (specifically 'The Heroic Reviews') had made me somewhat apprehensive about being criticised for writing an awful story, but in reality your first story will probably be read by almost nobody... which is a good thing when you're just starting out. Plenty of the above posts highlight the importance of feedback, which I absolutely agree with, but in moderation - it's important not to destroy your self confidence. Slow improvement is far better than becoming convinced that your work is trash and never writing again.

Firstly I would say, is to understand what goes into making a good work. What makes a story so riveting you want to stay on to read it page after page? Understanding the tools someone uses will help you write your own.

Plans. Dont underestimate the planning stage, but dont go overboard like me(I sometimes write out my first draft as a "plan") lay out characters, trace the story, and then write what comes to your head.

Grammar. Minor things shouldnt matter (being a grammar nazi is not needed) but something obviously wrong will ruin the mood, so a proofread is a must.

• Brohoof 2

Well I'm not what you call a good writer but I work at it everyday. I can't give you some great advise but I can share my experience so far. Who knows it might help or might not.

Biggest obstacles for me was learning what Show, don't tell means and finding a editor to help and making the characters stop going out of character.

If you want to do it then just do it.

No matter if anyone doesn't like it because at least, you know, that it came from the heart.

I did it and you can too.

Just be sure to read through your story once or twice to proofread because the people that read your stories can tell if you proofread or not.

I sometimes get too excited and release a story and may have skipped that step before. Learn from my mistake.

Focus on your strengths.

I'm not sure about this but I think my strength is action scenes where emotions are running wild. It is the parts, I'm most proud of.

If you at first you don't get feedback, keep trying and don't lose hope.

My first few months were an up hill battle but that is okay. It still isn't easy but it is a lot easier now.

Above all, have fun. Go nuts.

Edited by RainbowDarth