Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Physical Characteristics of the Species of My Little Pony

Sintanan

Because I like to do numbers (calculations will be done to the 6th decimal (hundred-thousandths), while displayed values will be round to the 2nd decimal (hundredths) or 3rd decimal (thousandths) for clarity's sake.  Also, assumptions are made that measurements mentioned or shown in the show are calculated from Equestria to Earth Imperial for the sake of simplicity on the viewer.  Much like how they speak English instead of whatever Equestria horse language they have.

sig-3963637.kX2JeiQ.png

In Hearth Warming's Eve we get an off-handed mention of an "eight-foot candy cane" which has a young foal beside it. Working off that, the candy cane is 243.8cm tall, and 210px tall. Thus we've learned for that one scene 1 pixel is 1.16cm. Using that scene we can measure a foal in MLP is 34 pixels tall at the withers. The head itself is 57 pixels from top of the head to the ground, and the x-axis (length) of the body is 27 pixels. Thus:

Foal:
34 * 1.16 = 36.47cm (1' 2'')at the withers,
57 * 1.16 = 66.17cm (2' 2'')tall,
27 * 1.16 = 31.35cm (1' 0")long torso.

sig-3963637.yrRu5er.png

From here we can take a scene in Stare Master where the CMC are exploring Fluttershy's cottage. There is a moment where we have Scootaloo standing next to Fluttershy, allowing for a comparison. In this scene Scootaloo is 122px tall, leaving a pixel being 0.54cm. We can also measure the front view of a foal and determine that a pony's head is spherical. Fluttershy is 202px tall, and the angle of the “camera” to the pony allows for measuring her height, z-axis of her torso, and both the diameter width and y-axis of a leg.

Pony:
202 * 0.54 = 109.57cm (3' 7") tall from hoof to head,
45 * 0.54 = 24.30cm (9 9/16") wide torso across the z-axis,
81 * 0.54 = 43.74cm (1' 5") length of a leg,
25 * 0.54 = 13.50cm (5 5/16") width of a leg.

Jumping scenes, lets swing over to a Bird in the Hoof and grab a shot of Fluttershy and Princess Celestia together. The “camera” in this scene allows us to get both the y-axis and x-axis of Fluttershy's torso, the diameter of her head; and the x-axis of Celestia's leg, the diameter width of Celestia's leg, her neck's diameter width and y-axis, and both the y-axis and x-axis of Celestia's torso. The scene is working off of comes out to be 1px = 0.676

Pony:
62 * 0.676 = 41.91cm (1' 4") torso x-axis,
36 * 0.676 = 24.34cm (9 7/16") torso y-axis,
54 * 0.676 = 36.50cm (1' 2") head diameter,
π * (25 * 0.54 / 2)² * (81 * 0.54) * 4 = 25,380.66cm³ volume of all four legs,
4/3π * (62 * 0.676 / 2) * (36 * 0.676 / 2) * (45 * 0.54 / 2) = 13,048.66cm³ body,
4π * (54 * 0.676 / 2)³ / 3 = 25,508.02cm³ volume of head.

Using a sum for the total volume (63,937.35cm³) and the average density of an equine body (999.958 kg/m³), we find out that an average pony weighs in at 63.94kg (141lbs).

sig-3963637.EYu5xfL.png

I have other findings regarding pones, but they don't fit the board's ratings. Let's just say you're too big for your pony waifu. Also, a human in Equestria would become famous at the bars for the ability to hold down drinks.

If we compare the numbers derived from these calculations to numbers derived from other means (such as the spoiled image below, where ponies are compared to apples, clocking in at about 40") we find the 3' 7" matches quite well with expected standards calculated above.  This leaves a single discrepancy in the show:  Rarity saying the heart-shaped ruby Spike finds to be at least 20 carats.  Using Earth standards, that ruby is closer to 2000 carats.  If the ruby was actually 20 carats, then ponies would be about as large as the actual toys.

EuepU.png

With base calculations out of the way, we can start to figure out the physical measurements of any character by comparing them to one another.  For the sake of presentation, calculations and will be posted at the end in spoilers.

Equestrian Ponies

average mare: 41.91cm by 24.34cm by 24.30cm , 63.94kg

average stallion: 

average foal: 

Big McIntosh:

Princess Twilight Sparkle (G4): 

Princess Twilight Sparkle (G5): 

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza: 

Shining Armor: 

Princess Luna: 

Princess Celestia: 66.25cm by 26.36cm by 28.32cm , 87.74kg

sevG47b.png

Celestia is base : 173.14cm / 348px = 0.49753cm/px
Shining Height : 262px * 0.49753cm/px = 130.35cm
Shining Leg d : 33px * 0.49753cm/px = 16.42cm
Shining Leg H : 94px * 0.49753cm/px = 46.77cm
Shining Body x : 149px * 0.49753cm/px = 74.13cm
Shining Body y : 77px * 0.49753cm/px = 38.31cm
Shining Head d : 87px * 0.49753cm/px = 43.29cm
Cadance Height : 249px * 0.49753cm/px = 123.88cm
Cadance Leg d : 22px * 0.49753cm/px = 10.95cm
Cadance Leg H : 91px * 0.49753cm/px = 45.28cm
Cadance Body x : 100px * 0.49753cm/px = 49.75cm
Cadance Body y : 43px * 0.49753cm/px = 21.39cm
Cadance Head d : 82px * 0.49753cm/px = 40.80cm

• Brohoof 3

These are some great calculations. Although I always wondered if the Equestrian foot is the same as the one on Earth.

I assume it's a case of numbers converted to our calculations simply to make it easier to understand.  Much like many a sci-fi short starts with "units converted to Earth basic for ease on the reader".

Seeing as the Imperial measurements we use (foot, hand, yard) were developed by and for the working class to spitball measurements (an inch being the thickness of a working man's thumb, a hand being the width of a hand, and yard being the width of a man's belt), I would assume Equestria has its own suite of Imperial standards.  Probably, hoof, leg, barrel, and length.  Most likely Equestria still keeps the concept of the acre - an area a single plowhorse can work in a day.

However, keep in mind that this is my opinion, not a fact.

(edited)

If you want to make a comparison of ponies with the Canterlot High School versions of the same characters, you can use the "Crown and Element of Magic" as a Rosetta Stone; since it has the same size (is not magically scaled up/down); being equivalent in both sides of the mirror.

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 2

If you want to make a comparison of ponies with the Canterlot High School versions of the same characters, you can use the "Crown and Element of Magic" as a Rosetta Stone; since it has the same size (is not magically scaled up/down); being equivalent in both sides of the mirror.

:o

This is even better than using Angel bunny for it, though the outcome is not much different.

• Brohoof 1

Preparing a compilation of my other calculations, and probably won't post it until later tonight or tomorrow... but I have griffons, Celestia, Iron Will, and Big MacIntosh finished.  Additionally, I forgot to take into account the foal is kneeling her front hooves downward.  It actually doesn't adjust the calculations on an adult any, but it does increase the foal's height by 1.5cm (0.59").

However, a quick highlight:  Celestia's torus she wears, if it is made of solid gold, would be 85 pounds of solid metal, worth a cool $1.4 million, and be equal to 47% of Celestia's weight.  Spitballing and extending that to the rest of her gear means she's walking around with between 50% and 66% of her weight in gold.

Things left to calculate:  Shining Armor and Cadance (the dude's actually larger than most stallions), Princess Luna, Princess Twilight (S4 and S5 since she gets bigger).  With that done I might toy around with other creatures like the tatzlwurm.  I'll also run the numbers using references I can get for Equestria Girls.  Might be neat to see how the humans in EG stack up for realsies.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Preparing a compilation of my other calculations, and probably won't post it until later tonight or tomorrow... but I have griffons, Celestia, Iron Will, and Big MacIntosh finished.  Additionally, I forgot to take into account the foal is kneeling her front hooves downward.  It actually doesn't adjust the calculations on an adult any, but it does increase the foal's height by 1.5cm (0.59").

However, a quick highlight:  Celestia's torus she wears, if it is made of solid gold, would be 85 pounds of solid metal, worth a cool $1.4 million, and be equal to 47% of Celestia's weight.  Spitballing and extending that to the rest of her gear means she's walking around with between 50% and 66% of her weight in gold.

Things left to calculate:  Shining Armor and Cadance (the dude's actually larger than most stallions), Princess Luna, Princess Twilight (S4 and S5 since she gets bigger).  With that done I might toy around with other creatures like the tatzlwurm.  I'll also run the numbers using references I can get for Equestria Girls.  Might be neat to see how the humans in EG stack up for realsies.

If you will take time to analize the size of the tatzlwurm... could you do the same for the "flower tree" of the same episode?

How about inanimate objects?

I would like to know the differences in size and weight of both wheel-less chariots used by Trixie in S3E05; in relation with the "standard" one of Twilight in S1E01 [or flashback in S2E25]; and the  giant one of Discord in S4E11.

Bonus points if you compare the Mustang of Flash Sentry in EG1; with the "Transformer/BassCannon" of Vinyl in EG2:Rainbow Rocks

Edited by SilverComet

Okay... These are taking a fraction longer than I thought.  I wanted to put up the numbers for all four princesses at once + white shield horse husband.. but I don't have a good full-body shot of Shining facing the camera, nor Cadance.  Gotta watch more pone.

I can say with confidence that Shining Armor is 4' 4", Cadance is 4' 1", and Celestia still comes under the human average at 5' 8".