Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Furry, brony, synonym?

Shadowrunner

I was just wondering what others thought of the similarities between the two fandom. I find both to be vary similar in that they tend towards tolerance, and are in general kind people and was wondering what all of you thought about this. Are furries and bronies the same similar or completely different? 

Nope. Not all bronies are furries and not all furries are bronies. The two words aren't interchangeable.

• Brohoof 15

(edited)

I've always seen the furry fandom as a huge umbrella encompassing vanilla furry and every sub-fandom, like the MLP, Sonic, Pokemon, and FNAF fandoms.

If your fandom is under that furry umbrella, you're basically diet furry. I find that nobody in this fandom likes being called a furry as if it's some derogatory term though, so I guess in the end self-identification is all that matters.

Edited by Teddy :3
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

One thing that is certain that Bronies and Furries are two distinct fandoms; fans of MLPFIM are Bronies and fans of anthropomorphic animals are Furries.

But some say that Bronies are subset of Furry fandom though I don't have particular interest in anthropomorphic animals. If I'm technically a Furry by being a Brony, I'm certainly inactive in Furry fandom. I suppose people will have different opinions on this, though I asked a Furry if I was technically one but stated no.

Edited by Luna the Great
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think the fact that MLP art can be found on e621 is enough to classify the MLP fandom as sub-furry.

One of my Furry contacts stated that what defines you as one depends on something like... if the fact that [insert whatever here] having anthropomorphic animals is a significant reason why said thing interests you.

I used to have interest in read a comic that had anthropomorphic animals, but the contact stated that because I haven't developed an interest in other Furry things, it's perhaps more accurate to say that I was a fan of the specific comic rather than being a member of the fandom. That was the contact's opinion on the matter though I'm not sure how broad of a definition "Furry" is exactly.

Edited by Luna the Great
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I consider myself to be a Brony, and a Furry, though I hardly interact with the Furry community. I can see why people would come to those conclusions, that the fandoms are so similar, but I have to disagree. You can love anthropomorphic animals, and not particularly enjoy MLP. You can be a huge Brony, and not find interest in general anthropomorphic animals.

I was introduced to the Furry fandom as a very young child, and didn't become a Brony until almost a year ago. I don't automatically like everything that has to do with anthro animals. That being said, it's not impossible for people to be Bronies and Furries.

There is a line between Furries and Bronies. Individual people simply choose for themselves whether or not to cross it.

• Brohoof 2

One of my Furry contacts stated that what defines you as one depends on something like... if the fact that [insert whatever here] having anthropomorphic animals is a significant reason why said thing interests you.

I used to have interest in read a comic that had anthropomorphic animals, but the contact stated that because I haven't developed an interest in other Furry things, it's perhaps more accurate to say that I was a fan of the specific comic rather than being a member of the fandom.That was the contact's opinion on the matter though I'm not sure how broad of a definition "Furry" is exactly.

Possibly the best counter-point I've ever heard, that really is something to consider.

Furry art is a very specific art style focusing on anthropomorphic animals.

MLP is a television show featuring quadrupedal ponies animated in the style of 90s saturday morning cartoons.

I see absolutely no connection.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a fan of Disney and Warner Bros. Does that automatically make me a furry? I don't think so.

There does seem to be an argument that anyone that enjoys anything to do with anthropomorphic animals, be it Disney, MLP, Sonic or whatever, falls under the "Furry" category but I don't agree that furry should be used as such a generic term.

I think a true furry is someone that is interested in anthropomorphic characters specifically because they are anthropomorphic.

A fan of MLP or Loony Toons could be a furry, but I think it's up to the individual to make that determination for themselves.   

• Brohoof 3

Oh boy, this subject again.

I'll keep my opinion simple: you are who your choose to be.

(edited)

Possibly the best counter-point I've ever heard, that really is something to consider.

Going by explanation said by contact, I don't call myself a Furry; previously I was more unsure if not calling myself one would have been incorrect. Edited by Luna the Great

(edited)

I just see the two as similar do to the fact that while they are not completely anthropomorphic in a body sense  the ponies in mlp are still in a way anthropomorphic. They are animals with human traits (Ie building talking and the like) 

Edited by Shadowrunner

(edited)

No, they aren't. There are similarities here and there, but the furry fandom is in no way related to a show and bronies are in no way animal enthusiasts who dress up in fur suits, make fursonas to identify with, choose an animal that they feel they connect with deeply, or anything else. Yes, some furries are also bronies, and some bronies are also furries, but the fandom themselves are not similar enough to be called the same thing. If there's anything similar at all, it's that they both involve animals.

I find this constant comparison irritating. As someone who is both brony and furry I can tell you quite surely with 100% positivity that they are not the same thing. :)

Edited by Felix
  • Brohoof 2

There does seem to be an argument that anyone that enjoys anything to do with anthropomorphic animals

But MLP isn't even anthropomorphic. The characters walk on all fours and maintain strictly equine anatomy.

The only thing even remotely human about them is their faces, but again, those are far more reminiscent of 90s and early 2000s kids cartoons than they are of anthropomorphism.

• Brohoof 1

No, they aren't. There are similarities here and there, but the furry fandom is in no way related to a show and bronies are in no way animal enthusiasts who dress up in fur suits, make fursonas to identify with, choose an animal that they feel they connect with deeply, or anything else. Yes, some furries are also bronies, and some bronies are also furries, but the fandom themselves are not similar enough to be called the same thing. If there's anything similar at all, it's that they both involve animals.

I find this constant comparison irritating. As someone who is both brony and furry I can tell you quite surely with 100% positivity that they are not the same thing. :)

I get what you are saying, i am also a member of both, hence why i asked (Also sorry for any irritation, i am just a curious fellow) 

But MLP isn't even anthropomorphic. The characters walk on all fours and maintain strictly equine anatomy.

The only thing even remotely human about them is their faces, but again, those are far more reminiscent of 90s and early 2000s kids cartoons than they are of anthropomorphism.

Anthropomorphic means any non human thing with a human trait (Speech, sapience and the like) So wouldn't they be Anthro if only by the fact they talk? 

• Brohoof 2

Anthropomorphism is not 100% about physical forum. Anyway, the ponies are physically anthroized to a point. They can use their hooves as hands and walk and stand on two legs for extended periods of time.  

I get what you are saying, i am also a member of both, hence why i asked (Also sorry for any irritation, i am just a curious fellow)

It's okay! :) I figured, and what I said wasn't particularly pointed towards you, it's just that this has been brought up before quite often. My apologies. ^^

(edited)

It's okay! :) I figured, and what I said wasn't particularly pointed towards you, it's just that this has been brought up before quite often. My apologies. ^^

No problem friend :)

Anthropomorphism is not 100% about physical forum. Anyway, the ponies are physically anthroized to a point. They can use their hooves as hands and walk and stand on two legs for extended periods of time.  

My point exactly, tho it being Anthrow dose not make it furry. I wonder where the line for that lies? 

Edited by Shadowrunner

The way I see it is they are a fandom first and the first part of being in a fandom is identifying you're self as part of the fandom second its really unfair how broad people define furry so just because I like something with anthropomophic any thing i'm all of a sudden a furry. Yes I like my little pony and the anthropomorphic side of it but so what I don't like it as a whole or for the sake of it the only reason I give 2 squats about it is its part of my little pony. Furry isn't even a real term  but if you are part of some thing they deem sub furry as a tag you are now a furry so it just went from a tag to you being part of a fandom which is complete bs.

I'm pretty sure you've heard of analysis community member Dr.Wolf. He's actually covered this topic rather eloquently. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqsBocZDug

I'm a member of both fandoms, and it's more accurate to say that there is a bit of overlap. It's more accurate to say that they're branches of the same tree, and that's an overall interest in anthropomorphized works (animals as characters).

• Brohoof 1

The way I see it is they are a fandom first and the first part of being in a fandom is identifying you're self as part of the fandom second its really unfair how broad people define furry so just because I like something with anthropomophic any thing i'm all of a sudden a furry. Yes I like my little pony and the anthropomorphic side of it but so what I don't like it as a whole or for the sake of it the only reason I give 2 squats about it is its part of my little pony. Furry isn't even a real term  but if you are part of some thing they deem sub furry as a tag you are now a furry so it just went from a tag to you being part of a fandom which is complete bs.

I suppose the want to sub classify bronies as furries comes from a want to better understand, as some do not under stand why bronies like mlp but may under stand what furries are. Thus lumping the two together. 

(edited)

Anthropomorphic means any non human thing with a human trait (Speech, sapience and the like) So wouldn't they be Anthro if only by the fact they talk? 

Anthropomorphism is not 100% about physical form. 

By this definition, kinda, but this is a very broad definition that includes such things as "depicting deities with human form."

From a visual and artistic standpoint, MLP art and furry art look nothing alike; barring deliberate, fanmade crossovers.

Anyway, the ponies are physically anthroized to a point. They can use their hooves as hands

My dog uses his front paws as hands. He's not anthropomorphic. Besides, most of the time they use either a TK spell, their mouths, or a tool of some sort.

and walk and stand on two legs for extended periods of time.

I recall Pinkie Pie doing it very briefly, about the same time my dog can but certainly not for any "extended period."

Edited by Mand'alor Dash

(edited)

I suppose the want to sub classify bronies as furries comes from a want to better understand, as some do not under stand why bronies like mlp but may under stand what furries are. Thus lumping the two together. 

Like I said its a fandom first the only reason the word brony and furry have definitions is so it has substance but in order to be part of ether you need to identify you're self as one and fit some of its definition.

Edited by flutersparkle

Well, i dont have anything to do with Furrys, i dont have a Fursona nor do i talk to furrys or have interest in register myself on some furry forums.

But i automatically end up on furry sites when i search for Mlp stuff and upload my art there, so...i dont know. If someone wants to call me Furry, im ok with that.  :lol:

I mean, i like cartoon animals. So, i guess i am a kind of Furry then. :wacko:

• Brohoof 1