Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are we like furries?

Jamesblorg39welsh

Well furries are just fans of almost any kind of animal and sort of celebrate being that animal they like (correct me if I'm wrong. Just because I was friends with a few furries does not actually mean I'm an expert on them :P) . We just like the show MLP. Some furries like MLP but some people who like MLP aren't furries.

I met some furries online and to be honest, we have so much in common. But I also have to say, these two fandoms share  a lot in common with almost any other fandom xD

Edited by HoopHoof

In a loose sense, yes. The furry fandom's interest is based in anthropomorphic animals, and our own interest lies in ponies that are, at least in a behavioral sense, anthropomorphized as well. There are many other parallels between the two fandoms, to be sure, but none that we don't share with any other fandom out there. I guess the only thing that really makes bronies and furries like "cousins" is the fact that our interests are widely viewed as esoteric or outright weird by other fandoms, and accordingly, we both receive a lot more hate than...well, all anime fandoms combined, or so I'd estimate. Hell, even plenty of anime fans think we're the spawn of Satan. >_>

Also, just want to add that even though furries and bronies should be sympathetic towards each other for this very reason, I've seen a shocking amount of hate towards furries come from this fandom. I just wanna say...what the hell, guys? I know not every one of us follows the so-called creed of "love and tolerate", but one would think that our propensity for being constantly hated and trolled would soften our views on furries just a tad.

Edited by Lord Thrashicane
  • Brohoof 4

Furries follow a much more broad fandom than bronies. Besides that I do see a lot of things similar to the two fan bases, particularly the public perception of the two, which seems to be either "They're creeps synonymous with pedophiles D:< *rage*" or "They're weird and I'll just keep my distance".

• Brohoof 2

I say that we are NOT like furries because of our influence. We encourage VALUES, or at least love and tolerance. What message can we get from furries? I'm not saying that furries have not business of being in the world, but I'm saying that we bronies have an almost crusade-like pursuit of spreading love and tolerance.

I say that we are NOT like furries because of our influence. We encourage VALUES, or at least love and tolerance. What message can we get from furries? I'm not saying that furries have not business of being in the world, but I'm saying that we bronies have an almost crusade-like pursuit of spreading love and tolerance.

That's kind of ironic considering lots of bronies seem to use 'Love & Tolerance' as a shield from all kinds of valid criticisms. =P

• Brohoof 4

Furries and Bronies share a lot in common, you could say that we're almost the same because of how people judge us and label us as people who should be shunned from society. I think we have other things in common too.

... The argument isn't too far-fetched. Similarly to furries, bronies love and enjoy something derived with the base of anthropomorphic animals and just as furries, a minimal portion of our culture is sexually attracted to them. There are many romantic crushes within (some more playful than others), and fanart freaking galore. Not to mention a lot of unprecedented ridicule and judgement.

... But really, I'd have to disagree. Whereas the interests of furries are limited to the anthropomorphic creatures formed and made, bronies are a bit more than that. While we put some focus onto the characters and the designs thereof, our interests extend beyond simply the anthropomorphic creatures. Many bronies also watch the show for the effort put into the original media that the characters are a part of, and the values it has to offer. We appreciate the morals the show has to offer, and what it can teach a general audience.

Really, whereas furries are limited mostly to anthropomorphic artwork and designs, bronies extend to more than just the anthro characters, but also the show it revolves around. Perhaps even moreso the show than the characters.

So if you ask me, no, we are not a subdivision of furries. We are our own league, in love with a show, not necessarily the animals.

Edited by SomariFeyWright

No, alot of the early bronies are furries and there are plenty of bronies that are furries but being a brony is not the same as being a furry. Furries like anthropomorphic animals to the point where they like to pretend they are animals at least if I am understanding it correctly though I will admit I don't know that much about furries so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. This does not describe all bronies but it is not entirely off the mark there are plenty of bronies that are not furries that do the same thing with ponies which is for the most part harmless except for a few crazies here and there.

Nope.

At least, I'm not. I don't dress up as a pony, I don't draw myself as a pony, I only enjoy the cartoon and (for the most part)the fanworks.

• Brohoof 1

Nope.

At least, I'm not. I don't dress up as a pony, I don't draw myself as a pony, I only enjoy the cartoon and (for the most part)the fanworks.

Well not all furries dress up too as goes with someone who could be a Doctor Who fan but doesn't cosplay as any of the characters in the series :P

HAHAHAHAHA, oh wow. I don't even know where to begin on this. There are several things that are wrong here.

Ok, i will be general on all of this. First of all, a quick answer:

Yes, we are like furries. No, we are not necesarily furries.

First of all i will say the obvious. Furries are people with some affinity for anthropomorphised animals in general. The degree of preference and involvement varies. Bronies are people who like My Little Pony. Those two things are completely separate things, but we do have several things in common.

The first thing in common is the general aceptance. Furries are treated as psychos, and bronies as pedophiles. Furries and bronies shield themselves in closed communities (Like this forum) in order to feel accepted somewhere.

The second thing in common, is the misleading excuses. "This is not a sexual thing, we do it for aesthetic affinity", "We are not pedophiles or man-childs, we are trying to promote values". Lots of furries and bronies makes those excuses to avoid doing introspective.

Third, There are all kind of people on this fandom. On both fandoms there are people who enjoy an innocent cartoon (Like MLP or Disney's Robin hood), there are people who jack off to the cartoon, like previously mentioned, and there are people who dress up as anthro animals, hook up several animal strap on dongs simultaneously and do things that no living being should be ever be witness to. That doesnt mean that everyone in the fandom is like that, and that doesnt mean that this is exclusive to these two fandoms.

Yes and no.

I'm in both fandoms and pretty much any statement with the word "furry" can be replaced with the word "brony and vice versa. I've been in both fandoms long enough to notice it.

There's artists in both fandoms, there's charities in both fandoms, there's cons in both fandoms, there's people who dress up at meets and/or cons in both fandoms. There's NSFW stuff in both fandoms, there's bad media rap in both fandoms, there's good media rep in both fandoms.

The only real difference is the MLP fandom is based around a pre-created TV show. Which has spawned other's own ideas of fan fics, art and music. Where as the furry fandom has been around since the 1990s and even possibly the 1980s, which was formed based on peoples own ideas and their fondness of animals, which created their own works of art, writing and music. Some say the furry fandom got a boost in popularity because of things like Disney and other related cartoons such as Looney Tuness, Red Wood,and the like.

Both fandoms are usually pretty open minded too.

Edited by ~Daring Dash~
  • Brohoof 1

Furries and Bronies are similar in many ways we are both fandoms, both our fandoms are somewhat related to animal like creatures and we both draw pentagrams and sing chants at it. Furries are into half animal half humans, Bronies are just into ponies (with a bit more variety).

I've met furries and we get along quite well, its like the Brony and Furry fandoms are family.

Edited by SwigglySwiggly

In a loose sense, yes. The furry fandom's interest is based in anthropomorphic animals, and our own interest lies in ponies that are, at least in a behavioral sense, anthropomorphized as well. There are many other parallels between the two fandoms, to be sure, but none that we don't share with any other fandom out there. I guess the only thing that really makes bronies and furries like "cousins" is the fact that our interests are widely viewed as esoteric or outright weird by other fandoms, and accordingly, we both receive a lot more hate than...well, all anime fandoms combined, or so I'd estimate. Hell, even plenty of anime fans think we're the spawn of Satan. >_>

Also, just want to add that even though furries and bronies should be sympathetic towards each other for this very reason, I've seen a shocking amount of hate towards furries come from this fandom. I just wanna say...what the hell, guys? I know not every one of us follows the so-called creed of "love and tolerate", but one would think that our propensity for being constantly hated and trolled would soften our views on furries just a tad.

I like anime myself, but I just have to add the the minute lolicon become a thing and actual studio produced content started pandering to pedophiles, the anime community lost all ability to look down on anyone. I literally almost swore off anime when I found out how depraved some of the fans can be to make jokes about being turned on by cute little girls(and not intend it to be black comedy).

On topic, there's quite a bit of overlap between furries and bronies. There's even some big-name furry artists that do pony stuff on the side because it's almost become it's own sub-branch of furry fandom.  

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Besides animals, I don't think the two fandoms have that much in common.

Furries are fans of a very specific art style. They like seeing furry forest animals fucked six ways from sunday drawn with human physiques.

Bronies, on the other paw, are fans of a TV show about ponies that are NOT anthropomorphic, but have the general intelligence and communication skills of humans. A little like all those talking animal movies if they didn't suck.

For example, here's what furry cosplay looks like:

furry4.jpg

On the other claw, here's what MLP cosplay more commonly resembles:

tumblr_m75whdMjPv1qig9ulo1_1280.jpg

I'm a furry and I think in a sense we are alike, but y'know with obvious differences.

For starters, furries are fans of animals in general and not just one franchise. 

I've seen some pictures of pony fursuits, or ponysuits or whatever, so they share that trait too.

And both get some criticism for judging the community unfairly.

But one thing in personal experience, I'm kinda losing interest with furries. MLP is a show so I have more to talk about and with new episodes I have a consistent interest.

Furries follow a much more broad fandom than bronies. Besides that I do see a lot of things similar to the two fan bases, particularly the public perception of the two, which seems to be either "They're creeps synonymous with pedophiles D:< *rage*" or "They're weird and I'll just keep my distance".

No offense but that's what i think when someone drops the term "4 chan"

Would you tell a police officer you've been to 4 chan?  Hell i wouldn't LOL.

Well, my understanding of the furry fandom is that at it's core is the, uh, appreciation of antropomorphic animal creatures in general, while I know that at the core of the brony fandom is a TV show. So at the core, our fandom and theirs(or yours as well if you're into that, whatevs) are completely different. There may be a few offshoots of ours that may be similar, sure, but not enough to make the fandoms all that signifigantly similar, imo anyway. :huh:

• 7 years later...

In some ways we are similar, but we also have differences. Furries are fans of the idea of anthropomorphic animals. Bronies are fans of the cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. The characters in MLP are anthropomorphic animals, but that isn't the only reason bronies like the show. The largest difference between the two is that one fandom likes a general concept, the other likes one TV show.

• 2 months later...

As a furry myself. I think the answer is a yes and no. Both of them like the anthropomorphic animals. Although bronies/pegasisters tend to focus more on equines. While furries have a wide range of animals such as cats, dogs, raccoons, etc. If there is one thing that both communities have is unfair hate. They don't deserve the hate. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...