Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What's your opinion on Furries?

Rivulet

Hey all,

So I'm pretty sure we've all heard people hate on furries and such, but what do you think about them? It's a fandom I've been wanting to get into, and I ignore anything I see negative about them. Mostly because 99% of the time it's all rumors or misconceptions, which is the same kind of things people who hate this community use against us as well. But the things my friends see about it is going to get some gears turning in their heads and they're most definitely going to think about those rumors and misconceptions as an all around truth of the fandom. And that is making me hesitate defining myself as a furry, or when I do define myself as one, hesitate telling them.

One the greener side of things, I've learned from joining this fandom that at least one person is going to hate on you 100%. Once you learn to ignore those people who talk bad about you, then you're golden. The reasons I joined this fandom is because I like the show, I like the fandom's creativity and how welcoming the whole thing seemed. There's little to no difference on how I see the furry fandom. I like their fandom's creative side and they seem welcoming looking from the outside in. It's absolutely no different from my reasons for liking this fandom.

So what have you heard about 'em, and what do you think?

[P.S] Tried to keep this shorter than it originally was going to be, but it's still pretty lengthy. Srry :3

• Brohoof 1

Do what you want, it doesn't effect me whether you dress up in furry suits or not. I think people are far too concerned with what other people do. As long as you aren't hurting anybody carry on. 

The fandom has never really intrigued me personally but do what you like.

• Brohoof 1

I've been a furry for fourteen years, and while I've met a lot of awesome people I've also met a lot of bad ones. I've met enough weirdos that these days I shy away from it. Thing is, the people that are really messed up and strange are a minority -- but they're such a loud minority that they can tarnish the rest of the fandom. Just know that, like any fandom, it has good apples and bad apples. :)

I'm a furry myself, their fandom is kinda cool and I fell into this. Like the brony fandom, is haves its darker sides, but globally, it's nice, people are cheerful and cute, like the bronies. (I have to say that the french part of both fandoms really sucks )

The same as any fandom. There's good people and there's bad people, though my experiences of the furry fandom makes me believe that the good people outnumber the bad people in the fandom.

• Brohoof 4

I'm always amazed at how many times this topic pops up. 

I hate to be that guy, but we kinda already have a Mega Thread dedicated to Furries. 
https://mlpforums.com/topic/59649-furry-discussion-thread/page-55?hl=furries#entry3984240

But to answer your question, I think there awesome considering I am one, and have been one in one form or another for as far back as I can remember.

This is a thing? I had no idea this was a thing. 

-What furry artists do you follow?
No one in particular really. I just look for pieces that I like, usually on Tumblr feeds (most are NSFW)

What furry series do you follow?
-I was a big fan of Road Rovers. That's probably where it started for me. There was sonic X , the video games from 03-06. I kinda fazed out of the fandom when I found other interests, but been coming in and out over the past year or so. 

-What's your favorite type of furry?
I'm highly partial to wolves & foxes, followed by ponies (different than horse anthros apparently), and felines.  

-Do you like when non-anthropomorphic characters are turned into furries?
Yup. It's like becoming a were creature. What's not cool about that?

What is your opinion on the notion that bronies and furries are one and the same?  

While it's safe to say were branches on the same tree, I wouldn't say we're the same, or even that bronies are a furry subset. Not all bronies like the ponies in the same way furries like various characters. Some aren't even a part of the fandom due to ponies, but their personalities, characters & storytelling instead. Likewise not all furries are gonna enjoy MLP obviously. However, that's not to say the two are mutually exclusive. There is indeed overlap, and mlp could be counted in furry lore, just like Pokemon, FNAF, Looney toons, Sonic, Star fox etc, are. Just like being a fan, and calling yourself a brony, it's comes down to what the individual chooses. 

-What do you think of anthropomorphic versions of MLP characters?
Awesome.

Now have some artwork!

post-18785-0-60215500-1430199208_thumb.jpg
post-18785-0-07421300-1430199257_thumb.jpg
post-18785-0-25540800-1430199294.jpg
post-18785-0-47063000-1430199309_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Not much to say. I'm not a very big furry anymore. I kinda drifted away from the fandom. Most of the furries I knew were nice. Since the furry fandom was such a huge part of my childhood, I still cherish it, in some way.

I've never identified as a furry or really considered myself a part of the fandom (despite a few things that might lead people to think otherwise), but I don't have anything against the furry fandom.  There have even been moments where I was irked by someone who did take issue with it.  Given the fandom they were a part of, the old adage "people in glass houses" came to mind.  Or the whole pot / kettle one; one of those.

Every fandom is comprised of individuals.  You're going to encounter people who fit popular stereotypes and disparaging characterizations, and you're going to encounter people who don't.  Annnnd who cares either way?  If you want to be a part of a fandom, be a part of a fandom.  If you change your mind later on?  Stop.

They're neat. Supportive community from what I've seen, but they're just like any other fanbase. Not everyone agrees on everything and there is still drama. The brony/fim and furry communities overlap a lot, also. There isn't much difference tbh

I'm sort of a furry myself although I don't wear fursuits and I'm not deeply involved with the fandom nor cared much for r34, I'm more of a casual furry fan.

I don't mind them as long they don't act like pricks to me nor shove it down my throat(the same can be applied to all other fandoms, not just furry).

(edited)

Live and let live. I've met furries who are creepy and make me uncomfortable to be around and furries who are some of the nicest loveliest people Ive ever met. The community is too varied to judge it as a whole

Edited by QuirkyUsername

I mostly consider drawing anthros a fun art hobby, and mine tend to rest on the more cartoony side. Furries get an outsize amount of flak mainly because of their numbers and longevity, the fact that a decent enough amount of them have admittedly weird fetishes or art hobbies, and that there are enough that take their fandom so seriously that they draw the fandom into "acceptable target" territory. However, every fandom has its weirdos and I'd be an insufferable hypocrite if I thought any less of them for that. If you're looking into it, the suggestions I have are to do your research, know what you're getting into, and keep the right kind of company. If you want to be in it moderately, surround yourself with moderates. If you have a certain interest, find other members of that fandom who share your interest.

• Brohoof 1

I definitely have been fascinated by furry culture. I don't think I am one myself but the art is really interesting. From what I have seen, Furries tend to be really cool people and actually similar to the Brony fandom, in terms of friendliness and whatnot. Shame that Furries get so much hate on the internet overall but that is just general society for ya. 

On average the furry art and comics are a lot better than non-furry stuff.

I'd hesitate to call myself a furry since I have no fursona, take no part in the fandom and the only furry thing I typically care for is the above mentioned artwork and comics.

Fanservice is highly prevalent in the furry community and I'm perfectly okay with that. It's half the reason I like furry stuff in the first place! Give me a voluptuous squirrel any day.

I'm almost always on the side of the furries when it comes to sexual topics. I won't get into details since that'd be a bit inappropriate but almost every furry hater and a lot of non-furries don't, and won't, get it and they often have very wrong misconceptions about the whole deal.

And it goes without saying furry/anthro MLP characters are muy bueno imo.

Go furry community. I support you as a sort of fringe member. :D

• Brohoof 1

I am a furry, way before Friendship is Magic, I say since my freshman year in high school, I have been most active in this fanbase more than the bronies. Both groups are quite similar, furries encompass most of the animal kingdom, and bronies revolve around the pony tribes and the occasional griffon, so I know most of the misconceptions, that we are fursuiters, immature weirdos, with erotic desires for animals, which is what bronies get accused of too, the same goes for gamers, who get lambasted by the media, for violence and perversion, just for being different. As a furry and a brony, I can say that judging each group totally, is not possible, we are both too diverse to be judged as a whole, and this is a good thing, it makes people use nuance to research and understand fandoms, which can be applied to humanity itself, because we let other people umbrella entire groups, into something positive or negative, and use mob tactics to isolate and punish people, who go against the social stigma. Of course, we have jerks and perverts in our fandom, what group does not? I say harness, that energy into something noteworthy, because humanity is yin and yang, and the dots in the symbol tells you to see the whole image, in darkness you look for light, and in the light are the shadows, try to think past what the media might tell you, use the yin and yang and see for yourself, that not no fandom is completely good nor bad, it is who you chose to connect with, that makes all the difference in the world.