Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else both a furry and a brony?

Inkscape

Was a fur, now a fur and a bro. 

Never quite as into the furry fandom, I guess because it was just so much larger and more spread out- too spread out! And the fact there's no agreed-on definition of the term 'furry', despite what anyone tells you, I've always found it a harder fandom to navigate, if that makes any sense. 

With the pony fandom, everything's more related to the core of it all- MLP, which means it's easier to find things you like, and that you share interest in with other. It's hard to explain..

Have to say, it does all blend very nicely though, in terms of art, music, fiction, etc, but I can see people wanting to distance themselves from either due to both of the fandoms', thanks to the thoughts people have of each.

(Fun fact: My first topic post on MLPForums was on the same subject as this. It was my most popular one, loads of comments, etc, then got locked. I remain proud of it to this day)

I'm both a furry as well as a brony. But I'm a brony first.  I've made a lot of friends in the furry fandom, as well as the brony fandom. Hell,some of my furry friends are bronies. Being a furry is what actually got me into FiM, and eventually turned me into a brony. Since the furry fandom is everywhere, I caught wind of Friendship Is Magic in late 2010, when it was still new and relatively unknown. This was also back when I was as active in the Furry fandom/community as I am the brony one now.I may have gravitated towards being a brony more, but I still consider myself a furry.

I'm more of a Furry first and brony second. I got into FiM through mostly the same circumstances you did and always thought the Brony fandom was just another branch of the furry fandom, which is not a bad way to see it.

Also about the sexual sides. Let me make one thing crystal clear: Every single fandom has a sexual side to it, the furry and brony fandoms are nothing special in that regard, get over it.

Edited by HopeTheWanderer

Used to, I don't participate in the fandom any more but I still bear some passion for anthro.

Ehh... a brony is basically a furry, like it or not. I know a lot of furry artists are perfectly okay with MLP. We try to not see ourselves as furries because of the even worse connotations around them, but we pretty much are.

Actually not really. Bronies don't often adopt the title because they simply don't identify with the furry community, not because of how "hated" furries are. Not to mention bronies are an entirely different fandom centered around something a little bit different, I believe our size and diversity has earned us a fair amount of distinguishable traits from furs anyways. For example, Star Wars and Star Trek may fall under the science fiction genre, but that doesn't mean Star Wars fans are Trekkies.

It's a bit unfair to label an entire fandom as part of something else whether we "like it or not", no?

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Me! Along with the pony fandom I also am involved in the furry fandom a bit. I even have a furry OC, just never got any art of her yet. 

22 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Me! Along with the pony fandom I also am involved in the furry fandom a bit. I even have a furry OC, just never got any art of her yet. 

:pinkie: You’re a furry??

Me too!  I’ve been one since technically 2002 since that’s when I started getting interested in anthro stuff.  I didn’t consider myself one till 2012 though when I learned about the fandom and went to a convention.

I have yet to even make a fursona though, lol.  All I know is it’s gonna be an arctic fox whenever I get around to it if ever. 

• Brohoof 3

Yeah i'm involved with furry stuffs

I remember on the furscience panel the guy said that he is a brony too and that they were always welcome in the furry fandom lol There were some comparative studies between the two.

(edited)

I am a full on brony but not a furry. I do support the ones who are but I'm not, as far as I'm concerned. People in school used to say, 'If you're a brony, that makes you a furry as well!' I couldn't come up with anything witty to say back so I just kind of thought, 'You probably don't know what either of them mean!' :mlp_smug:

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

For a time I was both. If memory serves I was a furry before finding MLP, but I haven't considered myself a brony in quite some time now despite at least still appreciating the show.

That being said I've never actually been involved in the community aspect of being a Furry. It's just an aspect of life for me and my partner's.

Edited by TheBronyHeart

No, I'm not a furry. But I use some furry sites to look for MLP art. :fluttershy:

As a brony, I'm connected to the franchise. If someone draws MLP art or wears some kind of costume, I would recognize it immediately and naturally like it. But all the different furry OC's on the other hand are unfamilar to me, there is no connection. Unless I know a furry on a personal level, I wouldn't have any special feelings towards...all of it. But I really like the general attitude you see in many videos, like how playful they are and hugging each other. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, AppleBolt ️ said:

:pinkie: You’re a furry??

Me too!  I’ve been one since technically 2002 since that’s when I started getting interested in anthro stuff.  I didn’t consider myself one till 2012 though when I learned about the fandom and went to a convention.

I have yet to even make a fursona though, lol.  All I know is it’s gonna be an arctic fox whenever I get around to it if ever. 

Omg that's awesome!! I've been into anthro since around 2014 but then it wasn't until around 2015 when I realized there was a name for it. That's when I officially considered myself a furry haha. The furry fandom is one big reason why I love the movie Zootopia so much. I watched it and instantly thought "furry!" :ButtercupLaugh: My fursona is a rabbit, but yeah like you I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to getting art of her. Cool to see another furry on this site. :sassy:

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Princess of Luck 🍀🔥 said:

Considering I still don;t know what a furry means, i'm pretty sure that I'm not a furry

It means you like to dress up in a fur suit for a convention 

Like an anthromorphic animal suit and cosplay as an animal foxes dogs cats anything animal related foxes are really common so are dogs

1 minute ago, Rainbowdash69 said:

It means you like to dress up in a fur suit for a convention 

Like an anthromorphic animal suit and cosplay as an animal foxes dogs cats anything animal related foxes are really common so are dogs Ears tail and paws shoes also

4 hours ago, Princess of Luck 🍀🔥 said:

Considering I still don;t know what a furry means, i'm pretty sure that I'm not a furry

new003-600x600.jpg

Furnal_Equinox_IMG_1463.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I think I'm more furry than I am brony these days, even though I have a more concrete ponysona than I do a fursona.  I think my fursona is constantly evolving.  When I first made him(funny his name is also sage along with a few other OCs), he was a jackalope, then I wanted to make him a deer, then a bear and nowadays, I think he would be a mix of deer and bear.  I could never decide with him but one of these days I think it would be neat to have a fursuit but for now I'll settle with pinpointing his species and making some art of him...  When I improve in drawing furries, that is.

• Brohoof 1

Me me me!! I like to joke that I was born a furry because I’ve been obsessed with lions and the lion king since I was just a baby and still am today as an adult. My fursona is a lion but I want to make a ponysona too.

I believe I was a furry before I even started watching G3 in my childhood. I discovered and joined the furry fandom somewhere around 2010, then I became a brony somewhere around 2013. I'm currently active in both fandoms!  :squee:

• Brohoof 1