Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever wonder why you're watching this?

cider float

Please keep your posts on topic. The discussion has only just started so there's no need to derail it so soon.

• Brohoof 2

At first, i didn't know why i decided to watch. Mainly curiosity i think and a saturday morning with nothing to do. My first thoughts were, 'well their eyes are way too big and their muzzles are way too small but their feet look proper(compared the mlp i was used to) and the animation style is interesting and wow their personalities are cute and haha there was a funny clever thing that pink one said so hey i think i like this show!' And then i watched another and another and then i found it on netflix so it was a new obsession after that. I watch because i like the cheeriness and positivity of the show and characters. i like the fandom and being a part of the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

I experience that all the time. I call them my mini-existential crisis'! it usually involves me laughing my arse off at myself. Also because "just an average unicorn" XD

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Every once in a blue moon I'll be watching the show and start thinking "What the heck am I doing watching this kind of stuff??"
Then I'm reminded why I love it so much, whether it be a really good joke or I just catch how over-the-top the animation can be sometimes.

Then the thought becomes "Yup. That's why."

• Brohoof 1

While I'm watching MLP sometimes I wonder why am I watching this? Then curl up into a fetal position and shake back and forth.

Not at all, I inherintly know why I like the show at a basic level, and it's becuase it makes me feel good, or it's fun to watch. I think this becuase I love the shows visual aesthetic, and I find the character interactions to be entertaining. I've always put good character interactions and visuals over top of like, cohesive, tight nit narratives, or large over-arching plot lines, so this kind of show already appealed to me long before I had even seen it. It's just good clean fun.

Not at all, I inherintly know why I like the show at a basic level, and it's becuase it makes me feel good, or it's fun to watch. I think this becuase I love the shows visual aesthetic, and I find the character interactions to be entertaining. I've always put good character interactions and visuals over top of like, cohesive, tight nit narratives, or large over-arching plot lines, so this kind of show already appealed to me long before I had even seen it. It's just good clean fun.

I also like it because of this. It's a very well written show that feels like it could be a "grown up" show. It just has these attributes while having "girly" pastel ponies. It's just a change of pace and I love it

Not usually unless I'm watching Princess Spike or any of the relatively few " bad" episodes that I don't really care for. But then I quickly realize that five years later, MLP:FiM is still highly entertaining and among the best animated cartoons of this decade. And cartoons are actually quite good these days, so that says something. :D

Whenever anyone sings in MLP, I usually fast forward it (I have a DVR that can pause, rewind, fast-forward, etc.) or mute it.

Not usually unless I'm watching Princess Spike or any of the relatively few " bad" episodes that I don't really care for. But then I quickly realize that five years later, MLP:FiM is still highly entertaining and among the best animated cartoons of this decade. And cartoons are actually quite good these days, so that says something. :D

I disagree about cartoons being "good" these days. Now they are terrible. I mean, just look at how Cartoon Network was in 1992-2012, and look at it now.

It really disgusts me.

I get what you mean.  I've had a couple of moments, not so much when watching the show, but when making my MLP Redbubble art, having a tough time, getting stuck and frustrated, and I stop and wonder for why I'm working so hard on ponies.  Are they really worth it?  Are they really as wonderful and awesome as I think?  And then I pull up a 5 second clip on youtube, maybe Dashie's impression of Twi, maybe "..and then I said, oatmeal, are you craz...?!", and then I know, yes, they are worth it.  I think it's the same thing anyone goes through when they put a lot of work into something.  I'm sure there were many days working on The LOTR or The Hobbit when Peter Jackson just said, "Why the f*ck do I do this?"  But then you see it come together, and remember.

But ultimately, for me, when I have a moment in which I wonder if the ponies are really worth the effort, it's always a moment like this:

But when I watch the show, I don't wonder why I'm watching it.  It's great.  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy wuzzy.

• Brohoof 1

When I first started watching the show, I was trying to keep an open mind but thought it was still kinda weird. As time went on I started caring less and less until I got to the point where I realized that I was having a lot of fun watching the show, looking at art, listening to music, etc. Nowadays, whenever I question why I still watch the show, I immediately tell myself it's because the show makes me happy and I don't really care what other people think. 

At first, I wondered all the time but that was when I first started watching the show. Now I know why I watch this show and I don't question it anymore. I love cute little, pastel coloured ponies and that's the end of it

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...