Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OC Question

Birdy the Phoenix

I was wondering if there is any good way to make an alicorn OC that is not at all OP and is just like a normal pony.

I'm thinking of a pony that comes from outside of Equestria, in a land where Alicorns are common. They don't have extreme powers, they can just fly and use magic.

Is that a good way to make an alicorn OC, or are there better ways?

Thanks in advance.

• Brohoof 4

The way I see it, the only opinions that you should take into consideration about your OC, are the people you are role playing with. It doesn't matter how OP or mary sue your OC is, as long as whoever you're RPing with doesn't care. Some people also make alicorn OCs just for specific RPs, so do whatever you want friend! If you want an alicorn, make it happen! (But don't expect many people to agree with it... :P)

• Brohoof 5

It's easy to make an good alicorn oc. Just follow these three easy steps.

Step 1: Don't make an alicorn oc.

Step 2: ????

Step 3: Profit.

Edited by Gestum
  • Brohoof 8

In a kingdom I made up (kinda) named Avalon they have a Alicorn king in taking the throne gives up half his power to feed the land and immortally which is taken from a old celtic traditions of the king giving up part of himself to make the land healthy and etc to help out his people.       I think the big thing for making any OC is balance and how you write them out,  so they are a alicorn,  does not mean they are all badass and control and everyone pony loves them off the tail.  Give em flaws,   and such but also room to change and grow in say a story or role play,   people are the same way,

• Brohoof 5

I think it's pretty much impossible to place an alicorn in canon Equestria and have them be just like a normal pony. Even without special abilities, they're bound to (almost by design) attract attention. It's like wanting someone with blue, scaly skin to blend into a crowd, when you have a choice of being normal to begin with but opted not to. :please:  Having an alicorn come from a distant, unheard of land where everypony is an alicorn feels like a justification to have one rather than a feature to build interest in their origin, in my opinion, but some of that might just be the pitch you presented honestly.

I like @Tao's sentiment. Just because they're an alicorn, they don't have to fit the stereotypicial flawless/amazing image. They can legitimately be good characters with well rounded strengths/faults, and be interesting to read about. I think they're just some of the hardest to pull off, because too many people have jumped on the bandwagon of alicorns being special, and they want to be special themselves, so they make alicorn OCs. But, like normal ponies, they're still essentially like all others internally, with perhaps an exception that canon alicorns tend to represent one of the major balancing/important factors of the world from what I've seen. I'm not saying all alicorns have to be that way, but I don't think you can escape an alicorn OC being special or remarkable in canon Equestria simply by virtue of being one of the five or so alicorns known there (the other four all being royalty, which is important to note). I think the best thing to do is simply roll with that.

Though, I have to ask, if you're so big on them being like a normal pony, why are you set on an alicorn OC? Part of the limitations of being a normal poy is that they generally can't have both magic and a natural flying ability.  :) It gives them a very visable area that they lack, and others nearby may possess, which is a pretty up-front confirmation that they have strengths and weaknesses.

If you're set on an alicorn, I think that could work just fine too, but you'll have to address that they're likely not ever going to be "just like a normal pony" in canon Equestria. ;)  --which could very well be a point of interest, growth, or character development depending on how you play it.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 6

You know.. It could still be from another land..

But they're unicorns who focus on flight spells ;)

They need to because they're land is very mountainous and they've developed

these flight spells to make it easier to get up and down the steep cliff faces :D

Or what if their land has floating islands? They'd need flight to easily navigate

through that too..

"But i still want a horn AND wings on my OC pony.."

Well.. Illusion magic is actually fairly common in the show of you really think about it..

What's to say your OC is a unicorn who has learned some flight spells but is adept in the

art of illusion magic.. and uses this to portray as an alicorn despite being a unicorn :)

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

@, I think that's getting closer to a realistic justification, but I fear that may drift into character building. You have to think about the type of unicorn that would purposely represent themselves as an alicorn of all things, in the second case.  :huh: I don't think it's an easy fix for sure, haha.  :lol:

Edited by SFyr

@, I think that's getting closer to a realistic justification, but I fear that may drift into character building. You have to think about the type of unicorn that would purposely represent themselves as an alicorn of all things.  :huh:

Just wanted to suggest that as a nudge in the realistic direction.. After all, OP said:

They don't have extreme powers, they can just fly and use magic.

I see this as the OP trying to make an OC that sorta fuses ordinary pegusi with ordinary unicorns..

but most others don't like the aspect of having an OC as an alicorn.. for numberous reasons..

I wanted to help give OP an option to stray from the alicorn path while still achieving what they want in their OC character.. being flight and magic..

Which i why i suggested the unicorn magic approach ;)

On a side note.. these unicorns of flight.. like most unicorns.. have a limit, like all ponies with their abilities..

They can't fly forever.. and certainly can't fly longer or faster than most pegusi as it is a unique trait of theirs..

EDIT:

The most likely style of flight these unicorns have are an adaptation of levitation spells.. just more efficient..

Or perhaps it's using the power of wind magic to force currents underneath them.. or perhaps changing

the air pressure on opposing sides of the unicorns' bodies to give them lift.. :twi:

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

You can have an alicorn OC, but why make them from another world? Instead, have one who became an alicorn like Cadance or Twilight did; by performing a series of great deeds. I have two alicorn OCs, both of which I wrote up ascension stories to explain why. Both have faults, neither is perfect. For example, if your OC was originally a pegasus, they might have trouble performing magic at first. A unicorn might have issues with flight. And an earth pony, problems with both. XD They might get depressed cuz other ponies won't treat them like a regular pony, and end up isolated and alone.

Thing is, it is possible to have a good alicorn OC, you just have to work very hard to create a good backstory and to make them a well rounded character. One thing I will say, DO NOT be lazy and give your alicorn OC a broken horn or damaged wings. That really irritates me, cuz it's a silly way to attempt to round a character out. You want your alicorn to be bad at flying? Then make them bad in themselves; for example, have them crash whenever they land, or bump into things, or do a Fluttershy and drop like a stone. Don't take the easy way out by making them have crappy wings. Sure, they can have bandaged wings as a result of them being terrible flyers, but they can't have them all the time.

Do not be afraid of personality faults. They make your OC seem like a real person. Only Mary Poppins is "practically perfect in every way". Real people are definitely not. Just cuz a character is an alicorn doesn't mean that they're perfect and have nothing to learn. Look at Twilight. She still gets stressed out from issues, and still can react badly to a crisis.

Finally, give your alicorn a role. Twilight is the Princess of Friendship, who's job is to solve friendship problems across Equestria. Cadance rules the Crystal Empire. My OC Prince Starlight is the Protector of Trottingham. Royals who do nothing are not a good thing in Equestria.

• 2 weeks later...

You could always have a changeling OC if you're desperate  :P

Though the only real magic they have demonstrated is the ability to change form and magical charging attacks.. :/

Changelings are still awesome ;) Which is why i'm making a changeling OC who is a friend of mine (my unicorn OC)

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

A good alicorn OC is possible, but difficult to work with. Being able to fly and use magic is quite 'OP', but it's all in how you work with it. Look at characters like Superman, basically the most OP character ever yet written in such a way as to not be completely boring. The secret is to let your character have enough defects to allow conflict. So, sure! Make an alicorn OC! Go for it. Make her fly and use magic, shoot lazers, be a really good dancer, whatever you want. But maybe she's socially awkward. Or maybe she's full of herself because of her abilities. Get creative with it!

Here's a cool idea that definitely isn't boring. Consider the impact of an alicorn just showing up in Equestria one day. Heck, Equestrian citizens essentially equate being an alicorn with being royalty! So one just coming out of nowhere is a pretty big deal and would cause a lot of trouble. Even better, if your OC really does just want to be treated like a normal pony, having everyone reacting adversely would surely cause enough conflict to reamain interesting.

Just an idea, though. Do whatever feels right. Best of luck to all those out there who want to make a good and useable alicorn OC. ;)

Edited by Coltboy

The secret is to let your character have enough defects to allow conflict.

YES! and.. No.. The secret is not to just "give" your character conflicts merely to counteract the good parts..

It's to find the negative side of those so called "good" things and constructing it in a way that shows the good as well as the flaws..

But that's just my opinion.. Take my OC for example..

"With my "burst magic" and great timing I'm able to launch and remain airborne at high speeds..

But this tires me out really quickly, and there's.. well.. the case of landing.. that can be difficult xD

I'm able to repel objects and other things from the origin point of a "burst orb" I casts outwards..

The thing is, it doesn't actually do damage to anything.. so it's usefulness has a few limits..

Using any spell does take it's toll.. Which is why I rarely fly.. or even use burst magic at all..

There was this one time i was flying and i got so worn out i became unconscious mid air..

I was in the hospital for almost 5 weeks.. and if i'd have been of been like..

50 meters higher.. Well, let's just say it could've been much worse.." ~AURA

Edited by AURAequine

I think it's pretty much impossible to place an alicorn in canon Equestria and have them be just like a normal pony. Even without special abilities, they're bound to (almost by design) attract attention. It's like wanting someone with blue, scaly skin to blend into a crowd, when you have a choice of being normal to begin with but opted not to.   Having an alicorn come from a distant, unheard of land where everypony is an alicorn feels like a justification to have one rather than a feature to build interest in their origin, in my opinion, but some of that might just be the pitch you presented honestly.

Or they just always wear a hat! 

YES! and.. No.. The secret is not to just "give" your character conflicts merely to counteract the good parts..

It's to find the negative side of those so called "good" things and constructing it in a way that shows the good as well as the flaws..

But that's just my opinion.. Take my OC for example..

"With my "burst magic" and great timing I'm able to launch and remain airborne at high speeds..

But this tires me out really quickly, and there's.. well.. the case of landing.. that can be difficult xD

I'm able to repel objects and other things from the origin point of a "burst orb" I casts outwards..

The thing is, it doesn't actually do damage to anything.. so it's usefulness has a few limits..

Using any spell does take it's toll.. Which is why I rarely fly.. or even use burst magic at all..

There was this one time i was flying and i got so worn out i became unconscious mid air..

I was in the hospital for almost 5 weeks.. and if i'd have been of been like..

50 meters higher.. Well, let's just say it could've been much worse.." ~AURA

I'm afraid that we are talking about two different things. You are referring to game design and power/ability balance in a Role Playing Game, while I am referring to character design and basic storytelling. I did mention that an alicorn OC is difficult to work with, including the various powers and abilities they may have. That is especially true when it comes to RPGs. After all, having a character that is too powerful a fit for a normal adventure is not very fun. But adventures can be built with powerful characters and abilities in mind. It takes more work and planning, but with enough imagination and effort any character could technically be used in a roleplay. Find a DM who's willing to work with an alicorn in an RPG and you're set.

Again, however, my original post was not in reference to general game design or power balance, but in simply creating an interesting character to write about and participate in many kinds of roleplays with.

Edited by Coltboy

I'm afraid that we are talking about two different things. You are referring to game design and power/ability balance in a Role Playing Game, while I am referring to character design and basic storytelling.

Huh? You confused me  :blink: I don't roleplay with my character.. not yet anyways.. After reading through your sentence again i now get what you're saying :lol:

I was just explaining an example of the balancing of my pony's abilities.. when it comes to character though, it really has nothing to do with the powers.. but a portion of it is rather how they use.. or not use them.. this is one way to limit my character to a realistic basis..

Just like what the original poster was asking if it was possible to have an Alicorn OC with non OP powers..

As such, i tried to give a little example of how I limit my character..

Though you say about character design.. My example wasn't entirely about power balancing.. My character is hesitant to use his powers of flight due to the risk involved..

But of course i haven't really focused much on balancing the personality of my OC, due to the fact that it's based off my own personality and my own strengths and flaws..

With my other OC changeling however, i have given him a timid personality due to his back story of being vague but he's been shown to

have been ostracized from all the other changelings.. and as such he's quiet, silent, often nervous and/or scared about certain situations..

If there was any of my OC characters that runs of this "Character design and basic story telling" thing it's him..

But i didn't mention him as that wasn't the thing the original poster was asking about so much.. From what I see, the poster is asking for a good way to balance a pony

that is like an alicorn, but without the OP powers.. So pretty much a Pegasus with magic or a Unicorn with flight.. as such i suggested a way to balance the powers

leaving only room from there on to develop the character's personality and traits..

On a side note..

It seems to me that when people think of "Alicorn" they think Celestia and Luna.. The 2 most powerful in all of Equestra,with the power to move the sun and the moon..

"That's super OP!" But they you see twilight.. yes she is skilled in magic.. VERY skilled.. but that's her talent.. but she's not too good at flying (yet..),

in fact we rarely see her fly.. The only time she was "OP" was when she was bestowed powers upon her by Luna, Celestia and Cadence..

Which were later dispersed upon Tirek's defeat and returned to the other 3 Alicorns..

I'm sure if Rainbow Dash was an Alicorn, of COURSE she'd be a big show off and display her powers all the time.. that's because that's who she is..

While Twilight isn't like that and only uses her powers when she needs to.. She doesn't use a bunch of powers because she has them to use..

No-one does anything without the motive to do so ;)

EDIT: I'm in no way saying a right or wrong way to creating OCs.. I'm just helping by suggesting how I myself create OCs and attempt to balance them..

There is no "wrong" or "right" method to make a balanced OC.. just as long as it works, and results in the OC being balanced.. :)

I explained my method of balance.. and if the original poster wants to use another method that's fine ⁿ-ⁿ There are many ways to a balanced OC.. :D

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, to me to make a GOOD alicorn OC is just to not make one. People generally don't like alicorn ocs even if they make them themselves. The MLP Fandom is weird so just don't make an alicorn oc

• Brohoof 1

After reading through your sentence again i now get what you're saying :lol:

Haha, It was my mistake as well. We've both just been misunderstanding one another. You do make some very good points about finding the right mix between character and abilities. Thanks, mate.

• Brohoof 1

I was wondering if there is any good way to make an alicorn OC that is not at all OP and is just like a normal pony.

I'm thinking of a pony that comes from outside of Equestria, in a land where Alicorns are common. They don't have extreme powers, they can just fly and use magic.

Is that a good way to make an alicorn OC, or are there better ways?

Thanks in advance.

1. get a DAMN good reason WHY your oc is an alicorn.

2. by lore there is no such thing as a land-of-alicorns for aliconrs are defenetly seen as gods or godlike beeings on equus

thats all i can tell you ^^

Edited by TerribilisScriptor

The thing you need to strive for when making an alicorn OC is to make the design original.

A lot of alicorn OCs are red & black or rainbow.

Don't be lazy like that. Make the color scheme unique to you.

Another thing: Don't give your OC super amazing powers that can overthrow everyone and everything.

They have to have some sort of flaw.

• Brohoof 1