Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bass Player's Thread.

Vox

Don't really know what to expect to come out of this thread, but i'm just going to throw it out there.

This thread is for any of you fellow bass players out there, be it the acoustic double bass or the modern bass guitar. Feel free to discuss gear, techniques, styles of music, etc. 

I'll start....

I currently play a Fender Standard 5 string Electric Jazz bass guitar in standard black.  :squee:  

EM_013-6600-306.jpg

I'm also a (learning) double bassist. I play a Samuel Shen acoustic upright and a German Schmidt bow.

499_499_csupload_37557775.jpg?u=12757925

I'm a guitarist who has a bass, thus I am probably lacking in some crucial bass technique. It'll probably do me a lot of good to get into it properly. I can read bass clef fairly well and there's probably a lot more bassist work to be found.

Well, I just got a bass clarinet. It's the best kind of bass. =P No, I'm just kidding... In being rude like that about it, anyway. xD

The (double/upright) bass is pretty neat, though. I've always loved the walking bass in jazz and jazz-influenced music. But I can't say I've ever really wanted to play one. Although I know someone in my family who does, so who knows? We might get one someday...

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Darn, just missed it by an octave or so...violoncellist here. Technically it plays the role of bass in a string quartet, but more often than not I do believe it is considered a tenor instrument. Ah well. I shall let you bass in peace.

Edited by Wubtavia

• 3 weeks later...

Darn, just missed it by an octave or so...violoncellist here. Technically it plays the role of bass in a string quartet, but more often than not I do believe it is considered a tenor instrument. Ah well. I shall let you bass in peace.

True, and even if the notes of the individual strings on a Cello are different from the bass, the pizzicato and bowing technique is still nearly identical for both instruments. 

• 4 years later...

I remember hearing @Cagey might be playing the bass.

I am only emulating bass playing through a synthesizer. I never expect to be able to play a real bass, but if I had one, I would practice every day!