Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is this the end?

North

Greetings, everypony!

My name is North, and I'd like to talk about something.

I've been noticing people on the forums rumoring that Season 6 is the last season, and it could be a possibility.

On EqD, it has been confirmed that there are 26 more episodes in S6.

My guesstimates have predictajumicated that S5 might last until next spring.

I also guesstimate that next summer will be a S5 to S6 hiatus.

S6 will probably end in early (and probably spring, too) 2017, clearing up all summer to release the 2017 movie (the end?).

So, do you think S6 will be the end? Will there be a CMC spin-off? EqG spin off? Only time (and Lauren) can tell!

Discussion below.

I certainly hope it ends with the movie. There's only a finite number of good stories you can tell with one series.

And no, the show won't necessarily last until 2019. That's only how long the G4 toy line will last. The show could end any time before then.

Also, why do you (not necessarily North, just fans in general) care that it ends? It's not like the show will be erased from existence when it's gone. Shouldn't you be glad you even experienced it in the first place? If being bored is what you're worried about, there are plenty of other good shows out there once it's over.

Edited by SpaceOnion

Lauren Faust hasnt worked on MLP since like 2011 anyway, she just automatically gets a credit in every episode because she's the one who originally developed this generation.

Edited by Melon Blitz
  • Brohoof 1

While it could very well be the final season, there currently has been no confirmation as such, so I will hold my breath on it. I doubt S5 will last until next Spring, it looks on track to end sometime around the end of the year of 2015. Beyond that, the next season could become sometime late next year potentially. After that, who knows. There was the report that the show was renewed for at least 5 more seasons which includes season 5 and 6 here so we could very well be seeing ponies for years to come. Lauren Faust is not involved with the show anymore, she left it a long while back. 

All I gotta say about the last part, I really hope there is no EqG spin-off. That would be...blegh. I would much rather have the show continue, if not then I would just want it to end on a good note and leave it as that.

• Brohoof 4

Well, as it currently stands we do not possess enough information to make an empirical inference on when the show will end. A fairly vocal part of the fanbase believes it will end with season 6 and the movie, and it very well may, but we do not know that. It could also continue for an eternity like The Simpsons. So, I will refrain on making any kind of inference about when the show will end. There is also a debate as to whether the show should continue on forever or end on a high note. I fall more into the latter camp as I'd love for it to continue on but only so long as the quality is there and it doesn't become a fans only type of series as fans often stick with series like that based more on what they used to be than what they currently offer. I could easily see FiM going down that road if it carries on for too long.

I think the spinoff media might benefit from the show ending as even more fans will likely seek out additional pony stories that are licensed by Hasbro. The comics in particular might be less restricted as the comic staff won't have to be concerned with avoiding having stories that will either affect the show or create glaring plot holes when the show doesn't acknowledge them. Of course, Hasbro could just as easily pull the plug on the spinoff media so time will tell if even that continues on after the show.

• Brohoof 1

I remember the threads about the show being greenlit for 5 more seasons, so that part is true. However, just because it's greenlit now doesn't mean it will come to pass since each one seems to be getting renewed on a season-by-season basis. (Of course I'm not at DHX so for all I know maybe they really do have a document drawing out a whole story arc for the next 4 seasons?) If the audience completely drops off during S6 and the movie bombs, they could still decide to pull the plug on this generation, I imagine...

The fascinating possibility is the movie does OK and audience and merch numbers are OK but starts to decline. What does Hasbro do then, perhaps instead of jumping to G5 they simply "refresh" G4 to try to bring the numbers up by ending FiM and starting a new series with the same pony characters?

But if they do they face an interesting dilemma: Do they fall back on the style and themes of MLP of old, or do they go for a grittier version of MLP to try to bring in more of an older audience? Either way they risk alienating a large group of customers, so there's lots of potential for killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

I really hope not, personally. Season 6 just feels too early to me, I think the show could do at least 7 or 8 seasons. It'd feel like wasted potential if it ended so soon, and I'm not a fan of endings in general, so I'm not really looking forward to it in the first place. Endings to longer series never seem to satisfy me, no matter what happens, something always feels off, or missing. The show won't just spontaneously drop in quality without a reason, so it's a little annoying seeing everyone seemingly convinced that's literally the only way it could go.

MLP is one of only two TV shows I even find interesting (The other being Doctor Who.), it ends and my life is going to lose a little bit of cheer, which I don't get enough of as it is.

• Brohoof 2

I really wish it will not end,its one of the greatest cartoon TV shows i ever saw,don't do it hasbro,please no ;-;

However, is that I would much prefer MLPFIM to end than have it continue indefinitely with terrible episodes.

Edited by Luna the Great

I really hope not, personally. Season 6 just feels too early to me, I think the show could do at least 7 or 8 seasons. It'd feel like wasted potential if it ended so soon, and I'm not a fan of endings in general, so I'm not really looking forward to it in the first place. Endings to longer series never seem to satisfy me, no matter what happens, something always feels off, or missing. The show won't just spontaneously drop in quality without a reason, so it's a little annoying seeing everyone seemingly convinced that's literally the only way it could go.

MLP is one of only two TV shows I even find interesting (The other being Doctor Who.), it ends and my life is going to lose a little bit of cheer, which I don't get enough of as it is.

I don't think that it will necessarily drop in quality, but you can never know. Powerpuff Girls also lasted 6 seasons and a movie, which is also a show that is heavily linked with Lauren Faust, so it would actually make sense.

Why not stop ponies on their height of their popularity, instead of playing risky?

I don't think that it will necessarily drop in quality, but you can never know. Powerpuff Girls also lasted 6 seasons and a movie, which is also a show that is heavily linked with Lauren Faust, so it would actually make sense.

Why not stop ponies on their height of their popularity, instead of playing risky?

You can never know, true. 

Why not play a bit risky? Even if the show did start to decline, I doubt it'd be sudden. I have enough faith in the staff that I doubt the show would go from great to awful in the span of a single season. It's possible, but I doubt it'd happen. Even if season 6 is amazing, and season 7 is just good, I'd still be happy. The next season not being quite as great wouldn't harm the previous season, or ruin the show, it could still be enjoyable. Also, you'll never know if you can reach any higher if you don't try.

I understand people's worries. They don't want the show to get old, to run out of ideas, to fall on it's face. I don't want that either. If it ends at season 6, I'll be disappointed it was so early, but I will also be glad that at least the show didn't suck at the end...Unless season 6 does suck, but I doubt that'll happen.

Really, it just bothers me to an extent, not that everyone wants it to end before it goes bad, but that everyone seems almost convinced that it absolutely will if it goes any longer. A longer show doesn't automatically make a bad one, and I think a show ending too early is almost as bad as one ending too late. Quantity doesn't have to destroy quality. For all we know season 8 could come out and be the fan favorite of them all, who knows? It just feels silly to wish for something to end so soon, unless you feel it's already started to decline.

Part of it I guess is just that I don't like endings to longer series though. They leave a sour, unpleasant taste in my mouth. They've always felt more like a crime that must eventually be committed, than an enjoyable part of an ongoing story.

I use the word doubt too much.

Edited by BasementPinkie
  • Brohoof 1

You can never know, true. 

Why not play a bit risky? Even if the show did start to decline, I doubt it'd be sudden. I have enough faith in the staff that I doubt the show would go from great to awful in the span of a single season. It's possible, but I doubt it'd happen. Even if season 6 is amazing, and season 7 is just good, I'd still be happy. The next season not being quite as great wouldn't harm the previous season, or ruin the show, it could still be enjoyable. Also, you'll never know if you can reach any higher if you don't try.

I understand people's worries. They don't want the show to get old, to run out of ideas, to fall on it's face. I don't want that either. If it ends at season 6, I'll be disappointed it was so early, but I will also be glad that at least the show didn't suck at the end...Unless season 6 does suck, but I doubt that'll happen.

Really, it just bothers me to an extent, not that everyone wants it to end before it goes bad, but that everyone seems almost convinced that it absolutely will if it goes any longer. A longer show doesn't automatically make a bad one, and I think a show ending too early is almost as bad as one ending too late. Quantity doesn't have to destroy quality. For all we know season 8 could come out and be the fan favorite of them all, who knows? It just feels silly to wish for something to end so soon, unless you feel it's already started to decline.

Part of it I guess is just that I don't like endings to longer series though. They leave a sour, unpleasant taste in my mouth. They've always felt more like a crime that must eventually be committed, than an enjoyable part of an ongoing story.

I use the word doubt too much.

With all due respect, you consider 6 seasons early?

In the 90s, i was glad if a cartoon lasted 3 seasons. 6 seasons for most of us back then, sounded astronomical and i just talk about Western Animation.

I am not simply talking about the show declining after Season 6. Like you said, it might not be. But i am also speculating that the movie is a fitting finish, instead of just finishing the series with a simple finale that just goes 40 minutes. I would rather have a finale in movie length and i kinda hope that this happens.

And i don't say that because i hate the show. I love this show and i like to defend it more then most people. But there has to be a time when you have to say "that's it."

• Brohoof 1

Here's the thing: almost all of the facts presented above are speculation. They're just guesses, as opposed to actual set dates and facts.

You also have to keep in mind that the show's primary focus is merchandising, and to make Hasbro money. It's no surprise that it has been a strong seller for Hasbro, but markets and economies fluctuate constantly. There is no telling what the market for MLP products will be like in a year, in five years... on however long.

You need to realize that you're getting stressed out over ideas and details that have yet to be set in stone, let alone even organized and presented better. For now, the show's going strong, the merchandise is selling, and there still tons of fans everywhere. Unless there's a serious, and I mean serious, change in direction, quality, or likewise, it's probably going to be around for a while.

The best example I can think of, somewhat ironically, is ST:TNG. Personally, I felt like the show really hit its stride in its later seasons, with the episodes taking on a much more thought-provoking, sci-fi nature instead of a lot of space battles with humanoid aliens in costume.

Then suddenly and without warning, Paramount announces S7 will be the last season so they can move the cast into the role of feature films.

We all know how well that turned out...  :unamused:

Oh well at least we got Discord out of the deal!  :squee:

With all due respect, you consider 6 seasons early?

In the 90s, i was glad if a cartoon lasted 3 seasons. 6 seasons for most of us back then, sounded astronomical and i just talk about Western Animation.

I am not simply talking about the show declining after Season 6. Like you said, it might not be. But i am also speculating that the movie is a fitting finish, instead of just finishing the series with a simple finale that just goes 40 minutes. I would rather have a finale in movie length and i kinda hope that this happens.

And i don't say that because i hate the show. I love this show and i like to defend it more then most people. But there has to be a time when you have to say "that's it."

What's early depends on what we're talking about. In the case of this show, yes. I feel like 6 seasons would be too early, maybe what comes in the rest of season 5 and beyond will change my mind, we'll have to see. I grew up mostly in the early 2000's, a lot of shows I liked lasted 4-5. That felt early to me too, more often than not. I guess I just have a preference for shows to go on longer, if at all possible.

I can see where you're coming from. A movie does sound like a pretty good place to bring the series to a stop. I accept that most shows have a point where continuing just isn't a good idea, but it feels like people are jumping on that too early. Nobody wants to see the show decline, but people seem too quick to want things to end.

Still, what happens, happens. Hasbro will probably do what they think will get them more cash in their pocket. Whether the show ends soon, or goes on for another 5-6 years, I just hope it turns out well. The ideal scenario in my mind is the show ending when the staff really feels like they can't do it justice anymore, when their well of ideas has truly run out of good ones. No sooner, no later.

It's okay. I'll hit my 20's before the show has a chance of ending. Also, I couldn't help but sing this the entire time while reading this topic.