Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did anyone on here have to watch previous gens?

SteveMorison

I never watched the show proper back in the day, I only saw the product placement and the stuff that goes with it. Needless to say I did not find much appeal in it. It just seemed...exploitive. With that in mind I would have never in about 3.3 billion years would have guessed that MLP would become what it is now, a breakthrough against gender roles with such an amazing fanbase. :3 

I actually owned a whole bunch of G1 episodes myself when I was a kid, haha. As for how I feel about it prior to G4, I thought it was cute. I didn't think it was the greatest thing as I was not into many things that were aimed towards my gender, but I always liked watching those G1 episodes regardless. I wouldn't think that this franchise would eventually have one of the most successful TV shows, however. I also can't say too much about G3, as I never saw it until after the arrival of G4.

• Brohoof 2

Have to? I watched the G1 movies on my own accord! Escape from Midnight Castle, and whatever the Smooze came from were the shit!

It made Tirek's appearance in this all the sweeter for me. I just adored how evil he was! Whether it was a quiet, whisper lined with contempt or a roaring blast like he was second's away from choking the nearest living thing! He lived up to my memories as a corrupting, forcibly transforming force, but exceeded them in other ways.

As evil as the original Tirek was, I think the VA knew exactly what kind of movie he was cast in so he didn't give Tirek a lot of range or even that menace. The scary part was carried in his design and actions, admittedly good ways to define a character but still. This Tirek however, delivered a ranged performance. Nuanced it ain't but you could listen to the dialogue of this guy alone and get shivers down your spine.

I won't say the Smooze was . . . a disappointment because I actually liked what they did with it. But I still would have liked to see what they would have done if it was the evil in the upcoming movie. Like this really dark Lovecraftian entity swallowing Equestria!

• Brohoof 1

I have a younger sister and was a kid in the 90's. I remember we used to try to get up earlier than each other in the morning to get the TV remote first. I know I lost more than once and ended up seeing at least part of a few older my little pony episodes. I usually would get annoyed and go do something else.

I know I didn't like the old show for the same reasons now still. I don't like the old pony design and animation, voice acting, and usually the story didn't keep my attention either.

I only checked out the current MLP because I found out Tara Strong was in it. I thought they were somehow still making the old show and wanted to see how crappy it was just for kicks.

post-24370-0-67108600-1408572273_thumb.jpg

Basically I went in with a, "This show is bad and you [Tara Strong] should feel bad" mentality.

As you can see by my being here- that's not how things panned out ^_^
Edited by Cirrus.

Have to? No. I did. I watched all of them. ALL OF THEM Including the live action ones.

And honestly, the live action FiM one from a couple of years back came awfully close to being the worst, simply because it was confusing and nonsensical in ways that the previous generations rarely came close to.

Except for the Newborn Cuties from G3.5. That was terrifyingly bad. Especially when you consider that MLP:FiM came out only a year or so of those being broadcast.

I watched them, but not because I "had to", but instead because I chose to. I noticed that this fandom had corrupted even my view of the older generations, even though I came into FiM with nothing against the franchise whatsoever.

Indeed when I went back and watched them, they were not the atrocity that this fandom made them out to be. Not always amazing, sometimes dull, but certainly not anything terrible.