Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship Games

WubBeast

I loved the movie too. I don't think it quite topped rainbow rocks, the songs were good and catchy, but I think rainbow rocks had great songs and a great story line not forgetting great villans. I LOVED the idea of two twilights I thought it was very creative on the writers part, hopefully the ending of this movie will follow on to another series and film, because the films have gotten better and better!!

:)

It was probably the most concise and cohesive product of the Equestria Girls trilogy. I certainly enjoyed it, more-so as a story than the previous movies, but less as an eye candy spectacle. The biggest problem I had with friendship games was the contrived way the concept of magic is handled by the inhabitants of that world. The people tend to be completely willing to believe in the concept, and are completely accepting of it when the script requires them to, and alternatively, not so willing when the script requires it. Magic is much more difficult to deal with in this world, because our inhabitants and setting more closely resemble human beings and our own world, so suspension of disbelief becomes more difficult to expect from the audience going in. We know magic isn't a thing that exists, and the people in EQG hold a similar belief, this is clearly shown in the first movie. Hell, it's even showcased beautifully by SciTwi in Friendship Games, her reaction to magic in general, and her dog being able to talk is clearly reminiscent of a world where magic is not a governing force, but science and logic is. Magic is then used as leverage at the end of Friendship Games but comes off as silly because The Crystal Prep students seem to buy it at the end of the movie, and are never shown to question what just went down. Does the whole town know about magic? Is the government aware? The police? Surely they must have seen the beam of light at the end of the first movie and Rainbow Rocks, was there no investigation? Are all of these students really keeping quiet about the whole ordeal? You would think they are because nobody seems to be batting and eyelid. I'm sure you can see how contrived and silly the whole thematic element is. Even in the DVD commentary of Friendship Games, writer Josh Haber jokes that he just couldn't figure out how to write magic into the story that made sense with context from the previous movies. At least with the first EQG and Rainbow Rocks, the students seem to fall under spells, that at least can explain away them retaining memories, but here no such plot device is used, it becomes more and more difficult to believe that these students aren't consciously aware of what's going on, and that these situations should be inducing panic or communication to people outside of the school. In sort, it's a mess.

All in all though, the movie was extremely enjoyable, I especially loved the juxtaposition between SciTwi and Sunsets character during the whole movie, and how we finally got to close Sunsets three movie long arc. This show has always been character driven, and luckily the "character" parts of this movie are for the most part well put together. Minus the mane six and their often boring, one dimensional dialogue, but at least the jokes worked, and they did have a reason to be in all of the scenes they were presented in. There's defiantly some enjoyment to be had here.

Hasbro and DHX did a great job, I was expecting a disaster of a movie, but what I got was a humble, delightful treat that I'm sure none of us were expecting. Looking forward to the 4th movie.

Eh, it was so-so. While I do applaud how they introduced Equestrian magic to the Human world and Sci-Twi's character, I think it was lacking a bit in quite some departments. To start, The ShadowBolts should've been fleshed off more as characters, given they were heavily promoted in merchandise for the movie. Yeah, we have some clues as to what their personality is like, but they didn't get the screentime they deserved. Heck, the movie's intro shows the other ShadowBolts as evil counterparts of the rest of the Humane six, yet they barely interact at all.

As for the villain, Principal Cinch is rather unlikable. While I do admit her role shows why the Crystal Prep students are such jerks, she comes across as lacking the charm the Dazzlings had, not to mention I found her character rather clichéd. She's as annoying and lame as Madam Medusa. However, her villain song, "Unleash the Magic" is quite awesome and greatly reminds me of Ursula's "Poor Unfortunate Souls"

Overall, not bad, but could've been better.

Finally got around to watching FG! I really, really liked Sci-Twi because I was very similar to her at school.That whole 'Use the Magic' scene and Twi's transformation was rather dark I thought but very well done! 

9/10 for me :)

I think the highlight of the Friendship Games was the excellent animation. The best thing I noticed was the work they put into it. Next was the music-memorable (though not as enjoyable as that of Rainbow Rocks) and the character development was nice. However, there are so many things I was disappointed with after finishing the movie. While the pacing was good, there are much too many characters for one to remember, and many plot holes are left unexplained. Another complaint I have is that while Twilight is very smart, she doesn't seem to understand the very obvious dangers of wearing that magic-absorbing device around her neck everywhere she goes, which she should definitely know about by the third time an incident happened with it. It's so obvious that it's only for the sake of holding the plot together, although I can't blame them, with the ongoing production of the episodes. 

when i saw this movie on line i thought it was a bit of a let down after rainbow rocks but i thought i would give it a another go and went and saw it in the cinema it was a bit better but not by much but overall it was a solid 8/10. good movie not the best one in the trilogy but was good.

The funny thing is, I actually haven't seen the movie just yet! I'm going to try to watch it this Saturday. I've only watched clips of the film, but I like it already! Rainbow Dash is awesome as usual, and so are the events! Now, the character I really don't like is Crystal Prep's principal, Abacus Cinch. Let me just say that you don't make someone compete in the Games by threatening to take away their special class they're studying in!

Now, I also watched the clip on YouTube where Sunset Shimmer defeats Midnight Sparkle! That was pretty cool! I think it made the movie 20% cooler! Now, after that, both schools are declared the winner, which wasn't what I was expecting. I wanted Cantelot to win (another YouTube clip!). Suprisingly, when Principal Celestia said the Games were a tie, BOTH schools were happy!

Like I said, I am going to try to watch it this Saturday, probably in the morning!

Andy Knapp

MLP Brony

Rainbow Dash is my favorite pony!

Each post will make me 20% cooler!

I liked the film, the concept was nifty but the music was definitely not as good as Rainbow Rocks. That being said, I was very sad to see that they apparently scrapped a huge subplot from the film with Sunset Shimmer that would have made her a bigger point in the story. It really sucks that everyone needs to move aside so Tara Strong's voice can be heard more. The original subplot would have made Sunset's conflict that much bigger.

I watched the movie!

It was a really good example of a good sports rivalry. Like I said in my last post, Rainbow Dash was awesome as usual! There were lots of songs, especially the mysterious and ominous one like Unleash The Magic. I also liked it when Rainbow Dash saved Sunset from the carnivorous plants, and she ponied up afterwards! The only thing I didn't like was Twilight's pendant. Overall, I would give the movie a rating of 8-9/10!

• 3 weeks later...

I like the equestria girls franchise but friendship games was simply awful. Regular twilight didn't play any part whatsoever in saving the day and she is supposed to be the main of the main characters. I didn't like the songs or the writing or the story as a whole. I love the series and like the other equestria girls movies but I think this is the only MLP-related thing that I can say was bad.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching it a second time yesterday I have to say that it might actually eclipse Rainbow Rocks as my favorite of the EqG movies. Really; the dynamic between Sunset and human Twilight, the conclusion to Sunset's character arc, the overall plot, and the music just all came together into a VERY nice package.

8.5/10 from me!

I tried watching this yesterday and boy this was the worst movie in the franchise and it wasn't even close. Couldn't even finish it was so boring. The dialogue and opening songs were just dreadful imo. My brother and I loved watching the first two and were disappointed at how this one turned out.

I personally LOVED the Friendship Games. For me anyway, I thought it was much better than the both original Equestria Girls movie and Rainbow Rocks, and cannot wait for Legends of Everfree (especially if LoE ends up developing some of the Shadowbolts, especially Sour Sweet, Lemon Zest and Indigo Zap, as well as more Sci-Twi, although she's a Wondercolt now). Sure, most of the reason why I liked the movie at all probably was because of Sci-Twi, as I feel like she is something the Equestria Girls movies needed a long, long time ago, and, if anyone has been stalking my posts on the Twilight Sparkle fan club, you may already be aware of just how much I like her, but I did also enjoy the songs (speaking of favourite Friendship Games songs, I've finally found my favourite, turns out it is "What More Is Out There" by Sci-Twi). I do have to agree, the writing of the movie could have been so much better, though. It feels like Hasbro read my mind a little while making this film.

Edited by shoyrumaster11
  • Brohoof 2

I really enjoyed this movie (not as much as RR ) I just really wish they would've shown us more of the shadow bolts :/ it had so much potential to be better than what it became :c still really good though

After much though, I would say this is my favorite of the three movies. True, the music was somewhat lackluster, but this comes fresh on the heels of a movie where music was the main focal point and thus needed to be several cuts above. 

One of my main issues with these movies was how they shoe-horned Twilight in, usually leading to cringe inducing moments. But thanks to the presences of SciTwi, that has been resolved. I also like how Spike is treated better here. Besides the call back to the first episode when he gets whacked by the door, he plays a crucial part in this film in being Twilight's best friend, much like his dragon counterpart. In fact, Spike ultimately saved the day, because he was able to snap Twilight out of her magic induced insanity long enough for Sunset to gain the upper hand

The only real issue here besides the music is how little development the Shadowbolts got, likely since they were greatly overshadowed by how much a crazy and petty woman Principal Cinch. Sour Sweet and Sugarcoat got the most scenes, with Sour Sweet staying true to her name and saying something sweet before following it up with something rude or mean and Sugarcoat's quick and tactless dialogue. Besides the bus scene, Indigo Zap and Lemon Zest didn't get much scenes and Sunny Flare... I actually forgot she was in this movie with what little she does. The only major thing I think she did was call out Principal Cinch when the latter tried to run away after Twilight turned into Midnight Sparkle.

Speaking of Cinch, early on Cadance says that Cinch is allergic to dogs. Nothing is ever made of this, especially in the scene after Spike gains the ability to talk. Not only should Twilight be covered in dog hair, but Spike is several feet away and yet Cinch shows no sign of any kind of allergic reaction. Also, I think Cinch could be seen as an antithesis to Principal Celestia. Much like the Princess of the same name, Celestia cares for her students first, school second and her own reputation third or fourth, whereas Cinch cares for her reputation first, her school's reputation (which is still linked to her own) and them maybe she can be asked to give a damn about her students.

So, in terms of the opening intro and music, Rainbow rocks was better. In terms of story and characters, Friendship Games won out. Overall, I'd gladly watch Friendship Games again over Rainbow Rocks. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

A popular point brought up about friendship games is that Sunset should already know about the games. 

I would like to refute this by pointing out the progression of the photos of Sunset's coronations that we saw in the first movie.

There are three, and the coronation is annual, meaning Sunset has been in CHS for three years.

The games happen every four years, so Sunset wouldn't have heard about the games.

Also, given the fact that for the better part of those three years she was a bully who everyone was afraid of, no one would have told her about the games.

Just something I wanted said. :)

• Brohoof 6