Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Hasbro try to make amends with the changelings?

ManaMinori

I never like how people paint the Changelings in a bad light, when Chrysalis was only trying to feed her people. Doubt ponies or other species would just willingly offer their love to a race that literaly needs to feed off it to survive, so of course Chrysalis and her race needed to adapt, invade, and take by force if they wanted to live. It's pretty tragic and unfair, and I think the way Twi and friends handled it was wrong. Who knows how many changelings died, without feeding, after they were blasted out of Canterlot?

What I think should happen is the cutie map suddenly sends Cadance and Twilight to somewhere, Twi confused as to why Cadance's mark appeared on the map. They discover a pony who has a changeling friend, having found it, weak and alone, and rescued it, letting it feed off her love. But the townsponies shunned them, banishing them to the outskirts of town, and Cadance and Twi need to understand the Changeling ways, and find a peaceful solution that would allow the changeling to feed (without altering its diet with a spell. Looking at you, Twilight.) And the townsponies to befriend and trust the Changeling.

Or something to that extent

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 2

Changelings remind me of vampires. Both of them need something from ponies/humans to survive but they go about getting it all the wrong ways. They attack and kill to get love/blood instead of finding an alternative way.

I understand a lot of people see Changelings as being treated unfairly, but remember what Chrysalis and her Changelings did to the ponies of Equestria? They kidnapped one of their princesses, took her identity, destroyed the magic shield protecting Canterlot, attacked the Royal Guard and citizens, almost killed Celestia, and captured the Mane Six.

Instead of doing all that, I'm sure Celestia could've reached an agreement with Chrysalis if Chrysalis had just come and knocked on Canterlot's door and asked nicely for some love to feed her children.

Besides, we did see a Changeling at Cranky and Matilda's wedding. Maybe not all Changelings are evil but just the ones that follow Chrysalis?

Edited by Rainblow H.
  • Brohoof 2

Changelings remind me of vampires. Both of them need something from ponies/humans to survive but they go about getting it all the wrong ways. They attack and kill to get love/blood instead of finding an alternative way.

I understand a lot of people see Changelings as being treated unfairly, but remember what Chrysalis and her Changelings did to the ponies of Equestria? They kidnapped one of their princesses, took her identity, destroyed the magic shield protecting Canterlot, attacked the Royal Guard and citizens, almost killed Celestia, and captured the Mane Six.

Instead of doing all that, I'm sure Celestia could've reached an agreement with Chrysalis if Chrysalis had just come and knocked on Canterlot's door and asked nicely for some love to feed her children.

Besides, we did see a Changeling at Cranky and Matilda's wedding. Maybe not all Changelings are evil but just the ones that follow Chrysalis?

like I said, it most certainly wouldn't be as easy as just going up to Sunbutt and asking to borrow a cup of sugar, or in this cae, feed an army of hungry mouths with somepony else's love. even if they waltzed right up to Sunbutt do you think peaceful negotiations would be in order? The onies have already shown unfair judgment to Zebrakind, right off off the bat, without Zecora even doing anythinb but coming into town. How much moreso would they do the same for a race that feeds off others?

like I said, it most certainly wouldn't be as easy as just going up to Sunbutt and asking to borrow a cup of sugar, or in this cae, feed an army of hungry mouths with somepony else's love. even if they waltzed right up to Sunbutt do you think peaceful negotiations would be in order? The onies have already shown unfair judgment to Zebrakind, right off off the bat, without Zecora even doing anythinb but coming into town. How much moreso would they do the same for a race that feeds off others?

Remember that Celestia wasn't even involved with Zecora. We're talking about the ruler of Equestria who is wiser than most of the other ponies and has shown better judgment in delicate situations like this. After all, she was the one who ordered the Mane Six to reform Discord, the Lord of Chaos, because she knew there was a kinder side to him and that his magic could be used for good instead of evil.

I think if Chrysalis and her Changelings presented themselves differently to Celestia and perhaps to Luna as well, it would've went better than invading them and trying to take over the whole kingdom.

Also remember that a lot of fantasy settings, MLP included, have "evil races". Lord of the Rings has the Orcs for example. Should I feel bad for the Orcs since no one likes them, thinks they stink, and won't give them the time of day? No, because Orcs choose to act evil and slaughter and burn villages to the ground. Just like the Changelings seem to be a mostly evil race who just want to rule and conquer and feed off of their victims.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah I'm not seeing a solution here. I have to assume a changeling stealing love is like a vampire stealing blood. Whether it's given or taken, it's still harmful. And no way in hell would any species agree to be fed upon regularly.

• Brohoof 1

As far as a return of the Changelings goes, we're dealing with two perspectives; Hasbro, and the show production/writers. Hasbro has to see money, and the writers have to make it fit the story. Hasbro I see being in favour of a return of the Changelings and an alliance with the Ponies, simply because it is a good merchandising opportunity.

Ever since we first saw the Changelings, there has been discussion and speculation regarding their return. From what I have read and theorized myself, it would be beneficial to both parties to form a friendship. The Ponies could provide love (which is nutrition to Changelings), and the Changelings could endear themselves to the Ponies by providing companionship and solace to the lonely. Not only is this sensible, but it is writable. My personal theoy is that the attack on Canterlot was not standard Changeling behavior, but a symptom of starvation; an absence of love, and that a treaty in which they recieved it would alter their behaviour. The presence of a Changeling at Cranky and Mathilda's wedding (as well as the reaction of the fireworks) adds to my theory by suggesting that love is a magical force or effect given off by most other beings that Changelings feed on but do not emit. Basically, I think that emotional energy gives off magic among most species, but Changelings do not give off this energy in their own interactions, hence the emotional "vampirism".

I'm getting sidetracked in speculation, but I do think it's possible for Hasbro to try to bring Chrysalis and her hive back. Until then, I shall await my Queen...

• Brohoof 2

I hope they come back. To be honest, the writing hasn't changed much and I think the mane 6 are being executed fairly well. I even appreciate how better Pinkie has gotten.

Chrysalis and the changlings deserve a comeback and I have faith the writers will do a good job

The writers would have to completely ignore all the comics, if Chrysalis and her changelings are supposed to be misunderstood and kind.

If now even Chrysalis and the changelings would get more development and will be portrayed in a good light, then you finally can count me out.

It's Celestia's turn for some development without sucking hard.

There is plenty of potential for more of the Changelings. I'd like to see them further. If it happens, it'll most likely be in the form of a reforming Chrysalis episode. Perhaps the Cutie Map will take the Mane 6 to the badlands itself. That's something I'd like to see.

The writers would have to completely ignore all the comics, if Chrysalis and her changelings are supposed to be misunderstood and kind.

If now even Chrysalis and the changelings would get more development and will be portrayed in a good light, then you finally can count me out.

It's Celestia's turn for some development without sucking hard.

The comics are more-so an AU(Alternate Universe). They try follow the show and avoid breaking from what would be canonically feasible. But the show itself takes priority, so any contradictions fall in favour of the show rather than the comic.

Not really given the depiction they have had so far both in show and in comics. Frankly I think it is best to leave them alone as not everything or everyone can be reformed.

Edited by UnknownFry
  • Brohoof 1

They were shot out of the show Team Rocket style....Due to their very nature as creatures, they should be reformed and doubt they will return (except for fan shoutouts like ep.100)

So if a Mosquito went on your arm and sucked on your blood you would let the mosquito suck away because that's its only way of living? no you wouldn't you would try and swat the thing. That's kind of what the changelings represent in my opinion.

Edited by Zach
  • Brohoof 1

Assuming I'm not reading too much of my own headcanon into their depiction in the series, then I have nothing but sympathy for the changelings.

Changelings subsist on love but are clearly unable to produce love themselves.  Changelings seem to be despised by everyone other than themselves so they cannot earn love on their own merit.  They are forced to survive like parasites, stealing love from other races by living a lie, pretending to be someone that they are not.

A lifestyle like this would surely leave one jaded.  I can't blame the Changelings for their predatory mentality and view their actions in A Canterlot Wedding as those of starving, desperate creatures.  And it would be their queen's responsibility to provide for her subjects.  Surely Chrysalis thought that securing a better life for her people was worth the risks of revealing their existence to another race and subsequently declaring war on them.  Maybe she could have chosen a less violent approach to solving her problem.  But she wasn't in any position to accept "no" for an answer.  Hence Chrysalis took the most direct route towards achieving her goal.  

That's not to say a peaceful solution isn't possible though.

Here's what I see as a possibility; With the Crystal Heart's ability to harness the "light of love within" the citizens of the Crystal Empire it might be possible to generate enough love to feed the Changelings en masse.  The crystal ponies activate the heart, creating that aurora of light over the palace and the Changelings swarm into the sky to feed.  It'd be a solution to their dilemma as well forge a strong alliance between the two races.  Plus it'd provide Chrysalis and Cadance an opportunity to reconcile. 

Even if this scenario is beyond the scope of the show's development I would still like to see a Changeling character who isn't a villain, possibly one in a symbiotic loving relationship with a pony as @@Nightmare Muffin suggests. Or the one suggesting that Twilight and Fluttershy encounter a colony of hungry Changelings are are at odds over how to deal with them; by escaping their clutches or trying to come to their aid. 

Edited by J. Brony

Honestly, i don't think they will. When they first "came up", on the show, they were depicted as entirely evil. Or atleast Chrysalis was. Spoiler to first issues of the IDW Comics

She even is horribly evil in the comics, "enslaving" ponyville and tricking the mane six into the castle, trying to corrupt Twilight for her own evil gains.

. Even in the Season 2 Finale, she is a "Queen", which was depicted as a evil ruler due to Disney's stuff, and Hasbro wanted to follow that so children don't confuse Celly as evil. That's why its Princess Celestia, rather than Queen Celestia, for example. Though, that was to the demographic if children, i suppose. Anyway, i do hope we see changelings again, though i do not believe the ponies will make amends with them. Perhaps if it was another "Hive", or if Chrysalis was no longer the queen. That's just a maybe, however.

All this talk of changelings makes me want to see Fluffle Puff become canon. Besides that, I'd like to see them do something at least with the changelings, so they can tie up that loose end. I mean you can't just introduce a new race and their queen and then just kick them out. Changelings were a really interesting add to the series I think. So it kinda bothers me they just left all that potential behind. If you can befriend the embodiment of chaos, and turn Nightmare Moon into the lovable (best princess) Luna, then I'm sure you can probably do the same with Chrysalis. Pretty sure some love and friendship ought a do the trick.

tumblr_nbjca0snzY1td2fqeo1_400.gif

• Brohoof 1

I never like how people paint the Changelings in a bad light, when Chrysalis was only trying to feed her people. Doubt ponies or other species would just willingly offer their love to a race that literaly needs to feed off it to survive, so of course Chrysalis and her race needed to adapt, invade, and take by force if they wanted to live. It's pretty tragic and unfair, and I think the way Twi and friends handled it was wrong. Who knows how many changelings died, without feeding, after they were blasted out of Canterlot?

What I think should happen is the cutie map suddenly sends Cadance and Twilight to somewhere, Twi confused as to why Cadance's mark appeared on the map. They discover a pony who has a changeling friend, having found it, weak and alone, and rescued it, letting it feed off her love. But the townsponies shunned them, banishing them to the outskirts of town, and Cadance and Twi need to understand the Changeling ways, and find a peaceful solution that would allow the changeling to feed (without altering its diet with a spell. Looking at you, Twilight.) And the townsponies to befriend and trust the Changeling.

Or something to that extent

I don't know how to say this without sounding rude...I'm sorry but are you really this daft? Did Chrysalis and her minions look like good guys to you? Be honest...Kind Changelings only became canon in Slice of Life. Hasbro apparently did this to cater to the Changeling fans. The Changelings were clearly originally intended to represent pure evil demonic creatures. Chrysalis tried to ruin a wedding and was going to steal Shining Armor and suck all the love out of him and make him her eternal slave for the rest of his life...Does that sound like a good or redeemable race to you?

There could however be a possibility that Hasbro will decide to go with the fans headcanon and make it so there are different Changeling Hives which are ruled by kind queens and have the Changelings of those said hives be good. Maybe...But I have my doubts since they were originally going to make Celestia a Queen instead of a Princess but decided not to because of how Queens are typically Evil in fairy tales whereas Princesses are typically good in fairy tales.

Edited by Asbel Lhant
  • Brohoof 2

I'm pretty sure there's good changelings out there, but Chrysalis and her army are as evil as they come. There's not point to redeeming them

• Brohoof 1

I don't know how to say this without sounding rude...I'm sorry but are you really this daft? Did Chrysalis and her minions look like good guys to you? Be honest...Kind Changelings only became canon in Slice of Life. Hasbro apparently did this to cater to the Changeling fans. The Changelings were clearly originally intended to represent pure evil demonic creatures. Chrysalis tried to ruin a wedding and was going to steal Shining Armor and suck all the love out of him and make him her eternal slave for the rest of his life...Does that sound like a good or redeemable race to you?

There could however be a possibility that Hasbro will decide to go with the fans headcanon and make it so there are different Changeling Hives which are ruled by kind queens and have the Changelings of those said hives be good. Maybe...But I have my doubts since they were originally going to make Celestia a Queen instead of a Princess but decided not to because of how Queens are typically Evil in fairy tales whereas Princesses are typically good in fairy tales.

I fail to see anything daft about someone voicing their own headcanon ideas on a public forum.  

For the record, no the changelings didn't look like good guys but they didn't look like "pure evil demonic creatures" to me either.  They didn't appear to be any more monstrous than gryphons really.  Besides, didn't we cover the lesson about judging someone by their appearance with Zecora aready?

It's what's on the inside that counts right?  But what do we really know about what makes a changeling tick?  Were they villains or victims?  Malevolent or misunderstood?  Be honest...did Canterlot Wedding Pt. 2 give us any sort of background information that would provide a definitive answer to the changelings' motivations? Was Chrysalis acting out of evil intent or desperation?  Does the actual show canon (not the comic books) offer any insight into what kind of person she really is at heart?

No.

So until any of these questions are addressed during the events of the show, one theory on the nature of the changelings is just as viable as another.  Nightmare Muffin's claim that changelings aren't the monsters people make them out to be holds as much water as your notion that they are utterly evil.  

Edited by J. Brony
  • Brohoof 3

What does that have to do with Hasbro? They don't write for the show. All they do is ask DHX to feature their latest toy.

Edited by SpaceOnion

I fail to see anything daft about someone voicing their own headcanon ideas on a public forum.  

For the record, no the changelings didn't look like good guys but they didn't look like "pure evil demonic creatures" to me either.  They didn't appear to be any more monstrous than gryphons really.  Besides, didn't we cover the lesson about judging someone by their appearance with Zecora aready?

It's what's on the inside that counts right?  But what do we really know about what makes a changeling tick?  Were they villains or victims?  Malevolent or misunderstood?  Be honest...did Canterlot Wedding Pt. 2 give us any sort of background information that would provide a definitive answer to the changelings' motivations? Was Chrysalis acting out of evil intent or desperation?  Does the actual show canon (not the comic books) offer any insight into what kind of person she really is at heart?

No.

So until any of these questions are addressed during the events of the show, one theory on the nature of the changelings is just as viable as another.  Nightmare Muffin's claim that changelings aren't the monsters people make them out to be holds as much water as your notion that they are utterly evil.  

He was basically saying that Queen Chrysalis was not really evil and only wanted to feed her subjects and shouldn't have been treated with scorn. But if that was true then she could've gotten love elsewhere and some other way. Sucking the love out of and attempting to ruin a marriage without even giving a damn at all is about as evil as something can get...

He was basically saying that Queen Chrysalis was not really evil and only wanted to feed her subjects and shouldn't have been treated with scorn. But if that was true then she could've gotten love elsewhere and some other way. Sucking the love out of and attempting to ruin a marriage without even giving a damn at all is about as evil as something can get...

And its perfectly reasonable to make an assumption that the changelings (or Chrysalis at the very least) are evil based on this.  I'm not denying that.

But the idea that Chrysalis is willing to commit such unspeakable acts of evil against the ponies to sustain the lives of her own people isn't too far-fetched if you ask me.  If her subjects were facing a similar peril, wouldn't Celestia have to entertain making such a hard choice herself?  And would she choose a more peaceful solution if doing so had a greater risk of failure?  Or would she choose the lesser of two evils and place the well-being of the ponies above a different race?  

Who can say?  There aren't any "right" answers in this sort of discussion.  Just thoughts and opinions to be shared and discussed.

And, as I said, one is just as good as another.   

Edited by J. Brony