Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Luna's Mane

Kivil

Ok, if you noticed when Luna came back from being Nightmare Moon in season one her mane wasn't all starry and night like it was a light blue kind of color. Was it because she was power deprived? Or was she younger? She couldn't have been younger because there was a brief flashback of Luna and Celestia in the Crystal Empire and Luna's mane was all starry and stuff not like this mane. Also she couldn't have been younger because there has been no sign of the princesses becoming younger at any point in time. It could have been the art crew changing up her character and that would explain why this happened. Also, her coat got darker as well. WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER?!

(Luna's weird mane)897305_1323308248191_full.png

(Flashback from the Crystal Empire) post-33640-0-50518600-1445694309.png

• Brohoof 2

After being released from her Nightmare Moon persona, she was temporarily depowered by the Elements of Harmony, and only later regained her power as Princess of the Night. There's also an arc in the comics that deals with the issue.

• Brohoof 3

I agree with Wubtavia. When NMM was hit with the Element's magic beam she "shattered" - meaning her magical power dispersed. It's only natural that her defeat stripped Princess Luna form her own power, with fuelled NMM. With time she regenerated her alicorn power thus transforming back to her royal form. I recall an interview with Lauren Faust in witch she said the so. Unfortunately I don't have a link, so let's say It's unconfirmed.

• Brohoof 1

I think it makes most sense if due to the fact that at the time she returned Celestia was still responsible for raising and lowering the moon, and ruler of the night as well as the day. When Luna got her night duties back - or the power/responsibility required to perform them, the mane would have been part of the process

Edited by BPCannon
  • Brohoof 1

The subject of the sister's manes/tails gives me an icecream headache.

The storybook images of Celestia from the pilot episode clearly shows that she used to have a pink mane.  And yet she was said to be in charge of raising the sun at this time.  Luna also appeared to have a monochrome mane in those pics and was already the princess of the night.  So I dunno...

I'm just going to chalk that bit up to being artistry in a book, shrug my shoulders and sweep the matter under the rug.  

• Brohoof 1

Gotta go with the Alicorn power level on this one, and her being depowered by the Elements.

I also have to point out that it's probably one of VERY MANY animation inconsistencies. The show's great, but man is it easy to spot screw ups.

• Brohoof 2

As a few others have said, it's a retcon. I do find that old design very intriguing since it's quite different from Celestia's, and that new design was obviously made to more closely match her sister's. I don't know if the comics are in continuity with the show (and I doubt it since the comic book writers and the producers of the show aren't communicating with each other), but I would've like some exploration behind that look in the show (and the Nightmare Rarity comics still didn't explain that much). It's just one of many pities that the show doesn't peel back its own mythology.

its luna's depowered state. When we first see her Celestia says "it has been 1000 years since I last saw you like this" being it was her form before she took on her nightmare moon persona.

Even her redesign can be explained in canon. Alicorns can shape shift and take on any form they wish. If you look at it it shares traits with a few things. Its taller and more regal, like her sister is. But its also darker and more foreboding like Nightmare Moon was and thats what Luna belives the "Princess of the Night" should be (minus the wanting to cause eternal night ofc).

In the comics, she temporariliy gets turned back into her original form when her power is decreased and her self doubts are strong enough. She gets better. XD

• Brohoof 1

I made a similar thread a long time ago. It was confirmed (I think by Meghan McCarthy) that Luna as we see her now was the same Luna before she became Nightmare Moon. However, after she was sapped of her powers by the Elements of Harmony, she was left severely drained. But after taking the time before Luna Eclipsed to recover, Luna regained her powers, and with them, her pre-NMM form.

• Brohoof 1