Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

am I the only person that just.. watches.. the show?

Chronamut

seriously I feel like to be a brony you have to have this whole culture around you of buying the toys, ponifying everything, and that you can't just be oh I dunno..

just someone who watches the show.

I am pretty much just someone who watches the show. I used to be a flash animator so the graphics fascinate me, as well as the in depth storylines..

sometimes the community makes me cringe a bit I will admit. Then again I'm the guy who thinks that people like tirek and iron will should be love interests so who am I to call out others lol..

anyways what about you guys? Anyone here "just" watch the show?

• Brohoof 11

When you watch the show enough the merch and the ponies will find their way into your apartment

I have watched it all, and the comics, and the spinoffs

there is no mlp merchandise in my apartment.

Although I wouldn't mind an iron will one.. but that would be it :P

• Brohoof 2

I have watched it all, and the comics, and the spinoffs

there is no mlp merchandise in my apartment.

Although I wouldn't mind an iron will one.. but that would be it :P

I was once like you but then 
post-28950-0-17749100-1435312934_thumb.jpg

and before i knew it i was commissioning custom Rarity plushie

• Brohoof 4

Personally what I find is that everyone look on "What's is a Brony" Just like religion. People have a different idea on what being a Brony or part of a religion should be.

I say it's anyone who watches and likes the show. And is willing to classify themselves as a "Brony" as I know some people don't like the stigma that comes with it. Which I understand (You don't have to be called a Brony if you like the show. Remember that!)

The only type of Brony. That I do not consider a Brony regardless of what they say. Is those who do not like the show and just like to be a part of the fandom.

I have nothing against these people. They do them. It doesn't really affect me so it's not a big issue.

I just think some. Yes some not all. Some minority of them just want to be a part of it. So they can feel that there apart of something bigger.

But I only consider people a part of a fandom. When they at least like the source material to some at least small degree.

But who cares what I think anyway. This topic is completely subjective and opinion based. And these are my thoughts. If you are a Brony just because you like the fandom. Don't let me change your mind otherwise. You do you.

The fact that you're happy is all that matters nothing else.

So yeah that is my opinion. On what is a Brony.

Edited by CoderSexyToucan

There is definitely nothing wrong with this. I....fall into the other category, I have bought tons of pony merch, I have ponified a bunch of stuff and what have you, but I think you should never force yourself to do anything like that. Just simply watching it and enjoying it is all you need to do to be a fan. ^__^

• Brohoof 1

I definitely watch the show.

I would be buying this many toys and stuffties as I would any other honestly; I'm a huge child.

I watch a lot if toddler-ish cartoons, and this is the only one with an adult fandom so I'm enjoying it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not allowing myself to "just watch" My Little Pony. Go hard or go home, I'll explain better in PM

everyone is entitled to their opinion - it's when you try to force your own on others that there is an issue imo.

Just watching the show and enjoying it for what it it is fine.

Thats what I planned to just do until I bought my first merch (so far I only have four things but want to expand my collection a bit more) and did a bit of fan art.

Basically just do what you enjoy, its up to you and no one else!

Edited by Wonderbolt

(edited)

personally I have never identified with being a "brony"

I am just a guy that likes the show - just like I am a guy that likes watching a lot of cartoons. I don't label myself for each cartoon.

Personally I would only do fan art if people bought it from me. I am a businessman at the end of the day and one thing I know is that bronies have money - LOTS of money haha..

all the money I earn goes towards saving up to bring my american partner to canada to sponsor him, which involves several thousands of dollars :(

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 2

I'd have more merch if I wasn't broke all the time, haha. I have a small collection of my favorites but for the most part I just enjoy the show and draw the occasional fan art...and read fan fictions and watch PMVs and join in (some) conversations and.... yeah. I'm probably way past the "normal" stage, whatever that is. Oh well. Everyone should be able to enjoy the fandom however they wish, it doesn't make you "less" of a brony if you don't wear "20% cooler" t-shirts.

I see it this way, since the Majority of Mlp Forums are either about G4 or about the older Toys and neither of them are about the older Gen Shows, i started my Brony being completely alone.

I still called myself a Brony, because i like Mlp and thats the point of being a Brony, right ?  :ooh:  I think so.  :)

I dont consider, having to be a part of the community, to be a essential need for being a Brony.

I mean, even if i would have registered myself on a Mlp Forum back then, i still had no one to talk to.

So, it isnt even possible to always be a part of the Brony Community, if you watch the older Gens, since their are no real topics for them, except for one tread, that talks about everything at once and a bunch of Bronys say : " Man that was horrible, look at this abominations! God thanks that Lauren Fuast was our savior. "

I had enough of this kinda comments, so i stayed completely away, from everything Brony like, since i really felt, that they left me...my own Fandom,,,and i had nothing to talk about.

So whenever someone says, you have to be part of the Brony Community to be a Brony, i say : Nonsense ! If you want, that i i feel welcome to your community, than you should live up to your name as a " Mlp Fan " , because it seems that almost all Bronys are only G4 fans and not My Little Pony Fans.

I always considered myself a Brony, because im an adult fan of My Little Pony, but i stayed away from the Community at first, because it wouldnt make any sense. Most Bronys dont care about the older shows, so was there even a point to join the Brony Forums way at the start? No.

And for the Merchandise thing :

I hate merchandise. I dont have money for it and i dont want it. So, i also dont consider merchandise to be essential.

I mean, im still a Mlp Fan, with or without Mlp Merch.

And before you say : " If you would really like it, you would buy Merch . "

Nah.  :lol:  I like many things, but i never even once, bought me any merchandise from anything. ( except one shirt from Comickpro, the one time i bought Merch, the ONE and only time because i wanted to support the Artist )

As i said : I dont like Merchandise. I just dont need that in my life. 

So, all in all, i consider myself a Brony because i like Mlp.

Everything else is not needed, in my opinion.

(edited)

as an outsider looking in I just find a lot of this classification stuff to be silly, and to be made MUCH TOO BIG of a deal over.

You're all just a bunch of "non 5 year old girls" who like the show. Any other labels are applied and adopted to you as a community.

Personally I hate the term, as it still evokes images of fat sweaty basement dwellers who wear wings and horns at brony conventions - but that's just me. I also don't like comic cons for the same reasons - just replace horns and wings for geeky costumes.

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 1

Eenope, you're not the only one. I don't know why'd you have to do all that to be a brony, just watching/liking the show is enough. Then again, it's just a label, so it's up to none other than yourself if you want to 'adopt' it. :P

Personally, I think I'm an in-between of sorts. Don't have any merch (nor do I plan to get any), but I do a little more than only watching the show, like browsing through the forums and dA, making some MLP drawings, etc.

• Brohoof 1

I have just watched it. Though I have been guilty of buying some merchandise. I'm not as avid as most are, but it's always nice to see creativity in the fanbase. I've kinda taken akin to finding new pony art daily to look at. Clean or otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

There's totally nothing wrong with just watching the show! Like VengefulStrudel said, I don't have much merch, but I do some mlp drawings and obviously, I browse the forums. As a brony you're not "expected" to do anything. Just be you! :fluttershy:

I don't have any pony merchandise, nor do I plan to get any. Not because I don't want any...but it's because I'm afraid of what might happen if someone finds out. That would utterly suck and my life would be ruined. Wait, what?

No, seriously, I'm already getting bullied in school and if THAT slips out, well, they're never gonna let me live that down. And of course, they'll mock me even harder. 

Geez, I live a depressing life when I join the fan forum for a show about friendship...yeah, it's kinda weird. 

So, I just watch the show in secret. I haven't told anyone and I don't plan to do that either. 

I'm too afraid...I'm worse than Fluttershy. 

...I'm just gonna sing the Smile Song to myself now.

• Brohoof 1

For me, I have purchased numerous MLPFIM merchandise (none of them are official Hasbro toys as I consider them too low in quality) and I have also made quite a bit of artworks related to MLPFIM. Never would have expected I would earlier in my life.

personally I have never identified with being a "brony"

I am just a guy that likes the show - just like I am a guy that likes watching a lot of cartoons. I don't label myself for each cartoon.

Personally I would only do fan art if people bought it from me. I am a businessman at the end of the day and one thing I know is that bronies have money - LOTS of money haha..

all the money I earn goes towards saving up to bring my american partner to canada to sponsor him, which involves several thousands of dollars :(

I would disagree. I go by the 4Chan definition (where Bronydom originated) of MLPFIM fan being same as Brony; no requirement of having merchandise, no income prerequisite, no need to be solely dedicated to MLPFIM of all cartoons, no need to even be involved in fandom at all. It's a very general for me which also means that it requires the need for many subcatagories within; so beyond the fact that all Bronies are fans of MLPFIM, it's difficult to properly define the fandom beyond that point. So the question of whether someone is a Brony to me depends on the more general question: what exactly defines someone to be a fan of something?

People will disagree with me (and you may as well) and say that it should depend on whether individual self identifies as being part of said fandom (regardless of level of involvement), though it wouldn't make sense to me if someone had a particular fascination with anthropomorphic animals but didn't identify as a Furry. I'd still call you a Brony though the term, to me, has neither a positive nor negative connotation (perhaps slightly positive only because it guarantees common interest in the series) and it doesn't associate you with any particular characteristics except that you are a fan of MLPFIM (as much as people say things like Sonic fanbase or FNAF fanbase being terrible, I'm not one who would generalize entire fandoms because that's unfair and would be hypocritical because Bronies also don't like to be falsely negatively characterized as a whole).

I'm in a similar situation but as a furry rather than a brony. I love anthropomorphic animals and enjoy looking at the art of them. I also love shows or movies that have anthropomorphic animals. (My Little pony, for example.) I don't typically draw furry art (I suck at it) I don't have a furry name, a fur suit, or role play as a different animal (except pony. I do My Little Pony roleplays.) Overall, the only contribution I make as a furry is due to me being a brony. Other than that, I just like anthropomorphic animals, that's all. So I'm sure there are bronies who just watch the show and don't do all those brony things. I'm not one of them. 

You just like the show, and that's fine. You don't have to buy plushies, go to conventions, create music, draw, have an OC, write fan fictions, or anything like that. 

• Brohoof 1

personally the whole drawing of the stuff is a bit of a rabbithole for me that I am unsure of whether I want to jump down or not.. 

I mean if people paid for it then hey, money is money.. but yeah..

• Brohoof 1

I'm with ya, I just watch the show, movies and comics.

No fanart, fanfics, musical remixes, merch(aside from a couple of gifts and a T-Shirt), etc.,

Then again, I can't draw, write, or write music for shit

I don't really care much for the culture myself, I find a lot of it annoying. I do sometimes think there might be more to certain aspects of episode plots but I don't make complicated theories out of simple jokes. I watch this show quite casually these days. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't really care much for the culture myself, I find a lot of it annoying. I do sometimes think there might be more to certain aspects of episode plots but I don't make complicated theories out of simple jokes. I watch this show quite casually these days. 

I agree, although sometime I like to play the devils advocate or imply there might be more than meets the eye - there usually isn't but I like to make people think :)

• Brohoof 1