Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How well do you think the 2017 movie is going to do?

TheAnimatorOfficial

Its success depends on a few things, IMO. The biggest one is the marketing. They confirmed in that email that this will be more standalone from the series, leading me to believe that they will take major strides into marketing the film to a non-Brony audience, especially the males.

Also, it depends when it's being released. I've heard March 2017, which is good because there isn't major competition usually in that month. Lack of competition is one of the reasons why the Lego Movie was so huge at the BO, so ditto for MLP.

Finally, appeal to film critics as well. Having a RT rating of at least 86% will help tremendously. Nobody was interested in the Lego Movie or HTTYD until the reviews came out.

With that being said, I am going to boldly predict an 88% on RT and around $400 million worldwide if Hasbro can accomplish the above.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going to guess way more conservative. I predict 70%+ RT and between 75 & 100 million worldwide. I still think that would be a success because the budget will likely be less than 50 million.

• Brohoof 1

Will this be released in theaters? If so, it will be funny to see how many full grown adults attend a childrens movie without children with them. Movies that spawn from TV show are always hit or miss. It will probably be pretty good, or everyone will hate it (the children probably won't hate it, but you get the point). No in between.

(edited)

Will this be released in theaters? If so, it will be funny to see how many full grown adults attend a childrens movie without children with them. Movies that spawn from TV show are always hit or miss. It will probably be pretty good, or everyone will hate it (the children probably won't hate it, but you get the point). No in between.

Then again, look at the Simpsons Movie's success...

I agree that this is either going to be a huge success or a massive flop.

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial
  • Brohoof 1

Actually going back to look at the budget the studio gave its last two movies (5 million) I bet the mlp movie won't have a budget more than 10 million. Still I think it will do fine.

Actually going back to look at the budget the studio gave its last two movies (5 million) I bet the mlp movie won't have a budget more than 10 million. Still I think it will do fine.

I don't know, this is all spark productions first movie and one of hasbro's crown jewel franchises. I expect more than that for a budget, like 15 million. They're going to want to do this movie HARD.

That being said, I think its all going to come down to marketing. They're guaranteed a decent turnout from their intended audience fans, but if they really push the envelope they could get alot of little children from outside the show's normal fandom.

It also remains to be seen how much they're going to push trying to attract bronies. Adults can have a huge impact, but at the same time advertising in a way as to yell "We want adult males here too!" could frighten soccer moms.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The movie is going to bomb straight into the earth. Bronies won't see it in major theaters. This movie was a mistake that will cost Hasbro big money.

Sarcasm?

Although I'm sure the Bronies will be turned off if they do something stupid like bring back the human forms.

I don't know, this is all spark productions first movie and one of hasbro's crown jewel franchises. I expect more than that for a budget, like 15 million. They're going to want to do this movie HARD.

That being said, I think its all going to come down to marketing. They're guaranteed a decent turnout from their intended audience fans, but if they really push the envelope they could get alot of little children from outside the show's normal fandom.

It also remains to be seen how much they're going to push trying to attract bronies. Adults can have a huge impact, but at the same time advertising in a way as to yell "We want adult males here too!" could frighten soccer moms.

In this day and age, 15 million is unrealisticly low. I remember seeing in a video that the animation will be updated a good amount to be more suited towards (heavy) action.

If that's the case, it's going to cost them in the range of 40-60 million to make, unless it's a 90 minute slice of life film.

40-60 million to make

No way it will cost that much, just a perspective the movie crimson peak that just came out and is in my opinion one the best looking movies ever was 55 million.

Also They would be silly to blow that much money on it I would say 20 million max.

As for how I think the movie will do, well if they market it will I think it will do good or at least be profitable. But once again no way would they make back a 60 million dollar movie. 

No way it will cost that much, just a perspective the movie crimson peak that just came out and is in my opinion one the best looking movies ever was 55 million.

Also They would be silly to blow that much money on it I would say 20 million max.

As for how I think the movie will do, well if they market it will I think it will do good or at least be profitable. But once again no way would they make back a 60 million dollar movie.

Maybe I'm underestimating what flash can do. We'll just have to see what direction Hasbro is going in.

The biggest thing is marketing. This isn't like the EQG movies that were released in only select theaters, this looks bigger. So you have to have a hooking in trailer and enough advertisment to bring in the crowds. Another thing to consider is there isn't really that much of a market for 2D animated films in theaters. The last 2D movie released in theaters I can think of was the 2011 Winnie the Pooh film. Thay might help with making the film more unique in a sea of CGI or it might make companies not want to advertise it as much.

The biggest thing is marketing. This isn't like the EQG movies that were released in only select theaters, this looks bigger. So you have to have a hooking in trailer and enough advertisment to bring in the crowds. Another thing to consider is there isn't really that much of a market for 2D animated films in theaters. The last 2D movie released in theaters I can think of was the 2011 Winnie the Pooh film. Thay might help with making the film more unique in a sea of CGI or it might make companies not want to advertise it as much.

what about the dragon ball Z: ressurection F movie that was shown recently? It did pretty well and was 2D.

But yeah, marketing is going to be HUGE for how this movie turns out. Kind of wondering if the movie's going to be the toyline for that "guardians of harmony" trademark hasbro filed earlier this year? I could see them trying to market the movie with a less emasculating name to make adult males feel more Self assured in buying tickets for it, like how TMNT was always referred to as "ninja turtles" in marketing despite its full name being "teenage mutant ninja turtles"

I don't really know.  Seeing how the show has been popular enough to get six seasons, I am sure it will make at least a decent amount of money.

If Hasbro advertises the movie well enough, it could be really successful.

This will show if it will suck or not: 

1. Is there music? 
    Yes: Go to 2
    No: Go to 3
  2. Is there a story? 
    Yes: Go to 4 
    No: It will suck
  3. Will it be so awesome that it would make up for the lack of music?
    Yes: Go to 4 
  4. Will all of the Mane Six play a role in the story? 
    Yes: Go to five 
  5. Will the characters be in character? 
    Yes: The movie may be great 
    No: The movie will suck. 

It actually depends on a lot of things. I can't say if it will be good or not right now. 

(edited)

I don't really know. Seeing how the show has been popular enough to get six seasons, I am sure it will make at least a decent amount of money.

If Hasbro advertises the movie well enough, it could be really successful.

They need to advertise it like a fantasy epic like HTTYD rather than something specifically suited for the fandom. For example, use darker colors when needed and use a song to get you pumped up (like Baba O'Riley or Immigrant Song) in the trailer. Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial

If they're still using flash to make it then I think that would reduce the budget. And if we look at Hasbro's track record we can see that with something like the recent Jem movie they gave it very little money and Jem hasn't really had as much of an audience since the 80s. MLP is currently very popular and if the movie uses flash then I think that will make things a lot cheaper. So I would say 20 million seems like a good estimate (maybe 30). I'd also like to point out that Hasbro wants to "broaden" the audience for the movie so I imagine they will market as such and will ask critics to emphasize that it's not just for little girls. So at the end of the day I see this making something like 80 million at the box office. 

I would say it has great(immense) potential to impress not only baronies but also new viewers.

It comes down to two things, one as many said was the advertising. Hasbro has not really advertised FIM a lot. They should not make the same mistake with the movie.

Secondly, this needs to be like a movie. It needs to stand out and not just be like an extended episode or another EqG.

I hope it at least gets nominated for an Oscar.

I'm more curious to know what will parents think when they see a lot of bronies coming into the theaters to see the film, I mean, chances are they're going to get really creeped out to the point where they start sending in complaints to the theaters, and as a result, the theaters will start prohibiting bronies from getting a ticket to see the film. How likely is that going to happen?

Edited by Spark Prickle

(edited)

I would say it has great(immense) potential to impress not only baronies but also new viewers.

It comes down to two things, one as many said was the advertising. Hasbro has not really advertised FIM a lot. They should not make the same mistake with the movie.

Secondly, this needs to be like a movie. It needs to stand out and not just be like an extended episode or another EqG.

I hope it at least gets nominated for an Oscar.

Knowing the Oscars they'll give it to Cars 3 or Despicable Me 3 because they view animation as something to shut up brats instead of an art form. Just look at the Lego snub.

Still hoping it does get nominated though, both Animated Feature and Original Song.

So it is going to be a super girly movie only for the little kids of the world?

I meant in addition to the Bronies. As in, males that haven't experienced the "ERMAGHERD GERNIUS" of the show".

I'm more curious to know what will parents think when they see a lot of bronies coming into the theaters to see the film, I mean, chances are they're going to get really creeped out to the point where they start sending in complaints to the theaters, and as a result, the theaters will start prohibiting bronies from getting a ticket to see the film. How likely is that going to happen?

Not very likely. I doubt it will be any different than adult men watching other animated films.

• Brohoof 1

Knowing the Oscars they'll give it to Cars 3 or Despicable Me 3 because they view animation as something to shut up brats instead of an art form. Just look at the Lego snub.

Still hoping it does get nominated though, both Animated Feature and Original Song.

I meant in addition to the Bronies. As in, males that haven't experienced the "ERMAGHERD GERNIUS" of the show".

Not very likely. I doubt it will be any different than adult men watching other animated films.

its a Sad thing about MLP having such a stigma; I know other kids movies like kung fu panda had tons of adult males going to see it and there was absolutely zero shame for anyone to buy a ticket to it.

It's hard to predict, but I imagine it will just be a modest success-- not a blockbuster or anything like that.

I'll probably end up waiting until I can just watch it at home. Going to the theater for this is just too awkward.  :lol: