Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the hardest lesson you've ever had to learn?

StormLantern the 1st

Please note that this is not "The hardest thing you've ever had to do". You can go through an incredibly difficult experience and learn very little from it. Difficulty does not imply quality or self-growth. I'm not saying that those don't have their place, but that place is not here.

This is for the lessons that have hurt the worst, or taken the longest, or simply been the most difficult for you personally.

For me the hardest lesson has been that I can't help everyone, and that I can't make myself responsible for everything. For a long time I tried to make everything work, and to fix everything, and to make everyone ok. I wear myself out trying to make sure that everything is just so, and the everybody's happy. And if someone isn't doing their job, I can feel like it's my responsibility to pick up the slack. I try too hard to do everything, and be everything to everybody.

I know it doesn't work, but I'm still dealing with the fact that there are some things that I can't make better, and some people who I can't fix.

What's been the hardest lesson for you to learn? Are you still trying to deal with the consequences of that lesson?

• Brohoof 1

That the world isn't all about me,

It continues to be hard  to consider the consequences that my actions have on others,

especially the people I care about.

Edited by Vulcan

Probably for me it's was that the world doesnt have a specific set of rules, like when I was being bullied in school I thought "Oh, the teachers will help me" And the best advice they could suggest was to fight back, cause this kid would not stop hitting someone that wouldnt hit back (Just keep in mind that I'd been bringing this issue up to the teachers for about 3 years, and he got no punishment for physically assaulting me for all this time)

So one day, he pushed me to the floor while I was waiting for paying for my lunch, I got up, and punched him straight in the face, and I can honestly say it's nowhere near the worst thing he's done to me, so I think 1 punch compared to 3 years of multiple attack that were worse than punches doesnt seem that bad for my case. In the lesson after lunch, I was called to the head masters room, and was told I was going to have to serve detention because of what I did. Oh, and HE was the one that told me to fight back.

So when the bully tells the head master about being punched (and deserved it) once, I get punished, but when I tell the headmaster about it, I get told what basically translated to "Fuck you kid grow a pair or something, Im to lazy to try and explain to the kid that hurt you why his actions are wrong) So in the end I told my parents, they went and spoke to the head master, the bullies kids got called in, they took my side in the argument, turns out the school had never informed them about this entire situation for the whole 3 years.

I ended up realizing some people just wont care about you and that yeah, I have to stand up for myself, but this was not the time to try and teach a kid that lesson, or the way it should've been done either. So since then I stopped automatically thinking things like "Oh a teacher, how could they possibly be anything but a good Samaritan?" I guess you could say I learned the world isnt black and white, which is a good thing, just came about in a shitty way

• Brohoof 3

Be careful who you call friend, it could leave you 8 states away from home with no money or a way to get back, I have learned that lesson over time and time again, in different context, but all the same. I have been used and backstabbed, betrayed by a lot of individuals, it has given me that sense of street/ world wisdom, about how peoples intentions best concern themselves. I try to act in a different way toward those I befriend, but sadly I live with little trust due to my understanding of human nature.

The hardest Lesson was a bunch of things, combined with the simple problem with talking to peoplel

To make my depression go away, i should talk to people, right? Well, but since i only got bullied all my life until workschool, i pretty much just didnt want to talk to people and still mostly dont want to.

Its just, when an entire species makes your life horrible, all the time...except maybe the last 5 years so...do you really want to talk to them?

But now im seen as a Douche.  So first of all, i know have to be kind to the people i dont like and talk to them.I know that they are nice People out there, but i still simply feel very uncomfortable and nervous around Humans in general, because of my bad experience with them in the past.

But without any experience or something i can talk about, because i barely ever talked...well...i have nothing to talk about.

And to find something i can talk about, i have to find friends. But to find Friends i need something to talk about.

But in order to find something to talk about, i have to find friends. But to have friends, i need something to talk about. But to have something to talk about...yeah, i think you got the point.

And who the hell cares about, what old children Cartoon i watched recently? Here, maybe one or two. In reallife zero.

So my Lesson was basically : If you dont talk, to humans, that one Species that made your life miserable in the past and you normally wouldnt want to talk to , well, YOU HAVE TOO!

If you dont talk to people, you get lonely and depressed.

If you dont talk to people, you get even more bullied and even more people dislike you.

And if you dont talk to people, you can also get fired, because you dont seem very friendly.

And you can also never have your Dream Jobs, if you never talk to people.

So my Lesson was :

That one thing, that simple one thing you never wanted to do, its now an requirement. A demand. From the moment you turned 18 and want to go to work, this Thing! This thing you never wanted to do and still feel the most uncomfortable with:

Either you do it, the rest of your life, or you end up jobless, at some point homeless and probably die.

So...i already lost all my Chances of ever getting my Dreamjob, got kicked out of multiple work places and feel depressed.

And that all just, because i cant talk to people and cant befriend myself with them.

Sure, i talk here....about how stupid i am and my life is...and sometimes about uninteresting things, like, what old Filmation Cartoon i watched...but who cares?

In real life, most people dont even know, what im talking about.

My Lesson was : Either you talk or you die. Well, and i still have nothing interesting to talk about. At least not in real life.

Why a cube won't fit into a round hole... It took me 17 years to finally understand it!

It's because the cube is square and the hole isn't.

But I have yet to figure out why the triangle won't fit... Oh well. I'll get eventually.

Edited by Kagami-sama
  • Brohoof 3

I think the hardest one I have had to learn is....well, just the reality of my future. In many ways, the future terrifies me and it has been difficult coming to terms with that. I don't know if that one actually counts, but another one would be self accpetance. This is a lesson that I still struggle with to this day and it has not gotten any easier. 

Do not play with adult snapping turtles...

This is some pretty good advice I'd say. XD

My parents will not always be there for me. I'm scared.

You and me both...I think hugs are in order for both of us here. *hugs*

• Brohoof 3

Do not play with adult snapping turtles...

You LIE!!!  Im 23 and still have fun with them. Bastards are heavy too.(this is coming from the guy that still plays with RattleSnakes when he finds them in the woods.)

I know this cliche' but  being myself and not caring what other people think about me. That doesnt mean fuck other peoples opinions. You know who your true friends are when you show who you really are.  ( This isnt a Gay post. Dont get mad over me saying that either)

If you are going to pull a gun on someone, be prepared to die yourself.  Criminals these days think there almost invincible when they have a gun.   If someone tries to rob me or something, most likely one of us will end up with a bullet in them, and i dont plan on it being me.

The truth doesnt always prevail in the eyes of the law.

They say that they will take care of you forever, They Lie.

• Brohoof 1

The hardest lesson I've learned is that real life has no mercy, it will kick your ass if you aren't prepared to deal with things.

The hardest lesson I've had to learn was that honesty and sound logic isn't a sure ticket to getting your message across. People prefer to hear what comforts them and have the tendency to reject what they find uncomfortable. A robust narrative becomes an inconvenience at that point. I tried hard to show myself that honesty and intelligence alone will take me through and so I pushed this to the bitter end -- and very bitter was that end.

The thing is, people have something called an ego which encompasses every aspect of the self-image -- from your appearance to whatever you believe is right. It's very uncomfortable to be wrong so people will use every trick -- fair or not -- to secure their interests. Sometimes, playing fair can be disadvantageous. Is it any wonder then that politics is so filthy?

You must account for public relations... Because regardless of whether you are correct or incorrect, public relations more or less determines whether or not you'll even be listened to.

• Brohoof 2

One of my hardest lessons to learn has to be the day I realized my friends weren't my friends. I used to think I had a lot of friends who all loved me and wanted me to be with them, but no, they did thinks without inviting me and without even caring to tell me about it. It sure was a hard thing to take in, and I did the foolish mistake to go back to those "friends" a couple of times. The same thing happened every time. I thought that they liked me, they disappointed me and they talked behind my back. And then after all those times, realizing I had been an (insert whatever word here) towards my so called best friend. Still one of the hardest things to think about.

• Brohoof 1

That you have to appreciate what you have, and that nothing is guaranteed for your future. Nothing at all.

As I've probably stated a billion times here, in my high school years I was ...a mess. I complained and whined so much and people called me the most depressing person they have ever met. I practically wallowed in it, as I told myself things just couldn't get worse. That wouldn't happen to me. So it's just perfectly fine to be sooo depressed by these things.

I was wrong. Very wrong. Now reading any of my blog entries from back then almost literally makes me sick. How could I have so much, have so much hope for the future and be that way? I'd give anything to go back to that life...

To let go of people, of dreams. I loved my first girlfriend for four long years (we were in high school, so it was comparatively long to everybody else's) and I decided to propose to her. A few stupid decision ps later, and she's finally left me this past August. Not only did I lose my fiancé, I lost my best (and sometimes only) friend. Whenever I needed to talk about anything, she was there for me. I tried to keep her as my friend, but her new BF hated me trying to talk to her so much.

I'm still learning this lesson, trying not to see her everywhere and moving on with my life. I have other friends, a new online gf, and Yet I still feel like I'm alone, like my soul has been ripped apart.

I think the hardest lesson I've learned is that, hate can be your best guide yo what you want in life, believe it or not. Of course it's a double-edged blade, but if used correctly, you won't become what sort of person you hate, and by elimination, it will reach to the point where you like to be in life