Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else think its weird that...

weegeez

twilight's parents named their children SHining Armor and Twilight Sparkle. I love the 2 characters, but really, what were they smoking naming their son Shining Armor, and their daughter Twilight SParkle(to a lesser extent than the first)

I assume a land of magical technicolor horses probably have a different naming standard. I assume it makes better sense to them then it does to us.

Also, I just noticed, 'Sparkle' is kinda like 'Shining', Shining and Twilight's cutie marks both incorporate sparkles, and they both have a purple magic aura. Definately family, all right.

Edited by Jadefire
  • Brohoof 3

I can imagine parents wanting their son to grow up and be a wonderful man (stallion) someday, a knight in shining armor type of thing. At least as a protector, a defender. The name Alexander means "defender of mankind." As for Twilight Sparkle, she may have been named with the idea that they were hoping she would be bright, which she is :) A human name that means bright (and noble) is Aubrey.

Check out baby name meaning websites, books, and such. Many parents do choose their children's names by their meaning and significance, kinda hoping to impose that upon their children in a positive way. As for the Cake family, they seemed to have chosen names that matched their children's colorings and gender that went along with their surname - which turned out to affect their personalities somewhat (Pound Cake pounding/beating/hitting stuff, Pumpkin Cake... eating... everything... okay, well, sorta related, lol. At least it matched her mane color, and Pumpkin being a food, she treated everything as a food, like technically all babies do).

Also, Shining Armor being white, they may have named him Shining to "match his coat color." Think of white/pale people "glowing/shining" in the sunlight. Armor, they may have given him hoping that the name may serve as a protection for him so that he may grow up safely, and also the kindness and strength implied that he would/could protect others. Twilight Sparkle has a purple coat, navy mane with purple and pink streaks, so surely her colorings reminded them of a beautiful Twilight scene or late sunset. Sparkle being they hoped she would "shine" in life, being successful and good and all that good stuff.

I think they named their children wonderfully :)

Edited by Iris Melody
  • Brohoof 2

A human name that means bright (and noble) is Aubrey.

My sister's name is Aubrey :)

Although the meaning we found for it was "queen of the forest nymphs".

• Brohoof 1

The real question is, how much apple cider had Pinkie's parents drunk when they named her Pinkamena Diane Pie? Then again, these are the same people who were rock farmers, so, maybe I'm better off not asking. ^_^

Edited by Batbrony

My sister's name is Aubrey :)

Although the meaning we found for it was "queen of the forest nymphs".

Name meanings can alter between the place/origin. German origin considers it bright/noble, so considering your sister's version is "queen of the forest nymphs," I daresay that makes her noble and most likely bright :) Some can be vastly different, though. Check out babyname sites to see what I mean. Most will be like: Name - German x French y Yiddish z Celtic w.

i guess i just find the same SHINING ARMOR to be really weird, i know why he is named it, but its weird IMO, and this almost seems supported by the fact that nobody called him that while directly speaking to him in a conversation

The real question is, how much apple cider had Pinkie's parents drunk when they named her Pinkamena Diane Pie? Then again, these are the same people who were rock farmers, so, maybe I'm better off not asking. ^_^

Uh, you do know that apple cider is not an alcoholic beverage, right? You can buy it in any grocery store. Hard cider is alcoholic, and it takes a lot longer then one day to make. Apple cider is just pressed apples, just as shown in the episode.

You know I think they name their foals once they know about their personality.I mean,how else does the name always match with their character?

Parent: Hello, son. Until we learn more about you, your name will be no-name! Isn't that great?!

Colt: ...

• Brohoof 1

Uh, you do know that apple cider is not an alcoholic beverage, right? You can buy it in any grocery store. Hard cider is alcoholic, and it takes a lot longer then one day to make. Apple cider is just pressed apples, just as shown in the episode.

Yes, yes, just having a little bit of fun is all. I am a Michigander after all, so I know apple cider's not alcoholic. Just wasn't about to say something like "I wonder how much hard liquor Pinkie's parents had drunk," or anything like that, ya know. Although to be fair, even though I know that regular apple cider can foam quite a bit, I have heard that only fermented hard cider foams like the apple cider in MLP does, so, who really does know what the Apple family is making? (LOL :lol: )

• 4 years later...