Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which episode felt like a fan video?

cider float

So there is been some pandering going on. So have you ever felt a video was like more of a fan video than an official MLP episode?

Slice of Life was definitely like a fan video to me. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the animators were bronies that made the episode and sent it to Hasbro and they approved it but pretended they made it.

Edited by cider float

Yeah... Slice of Life is the one that definitely comes to mind. Especially the whole Octavia and Vinyl Scratch scene. That most certainly was fan-level content. It was also extremely hard to watch because of that. These things should have never been made official.

• Brohoof 2

That's an unusual comparison. I mean, not all fan videos are going to be perfect and free from fanservice, but I don't really like comparing any official episode to fanmade videos. It's a pretty cynical attitude to have and makes it as if sound like all MLP:FiM fanmade thing is poorly made, which is untrue.

Edited by Odyssey

I think Power Ponies was the most like a fan video. I bet the Board of Hasbro Executives was like, "Hey we need an episode idea! How about.... All of the mane 6 get sucked into Spikes comic book. That's corny and un creative enough!" "Frank, you are a genius!"

Edited by Best Poni

I don't know if I'd say SoL felt like a fan animation. While it featured background characters, it was a relaxing and fun episode that had a lot of heart in it.

If I had to pick out better examples, I'd name the Twilight vs. Tirek fight in Twilight's Kingdom and the battle against the Tantabus in Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?. Which isn't to say that those were necessarily bad episodes, it's just that Twilight absorbing everybody's magic and using it to blow up mountains and fight some kind of demonic figure sounds very fanfic-y. And as for the latter example, it was extremely surreal and packed with memes :derp:.