S05:E25+26 - The Cutie Re-Mark  

368 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it

• Hated it
    • Didn't like it
    • Meh. It was OK.
    • I liked it
    • That .... was ....AWESOME! <3

That ending... made me want to shoot some random Barbie dolls... That Starlight's reformation scared me... that ending sequences scared me... something is off... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Josh Haber, I love you but you ruined one good villain... Good finale but that ending will haunt me for a month... Barbie and My little pony CANNOT CO-EXISTTTTTTTTT

• Brohoof 2

Starlight's backstory was so forced and rushed, as well her acceptance.

Even Sunset had to go through all of Rainbow Rocks to gain the school's trust.

Starlight's backstory was weak as well.

We never even hear her friend speak. We weren't given any time to develop that emotional connection to Starlight and really feel for her.

An example done right was Moon Dancer. There was build up. We saw how she and Twilight interacted. We were SHOWN the significance of Twilight and Moon Dancer's friendship, therefore allowing the viewer to better understand the emotional issue.

With Starlight, we're TOLD the importance and very briefly and hastily shown that experience. Imagine how much less powerful the fight between Celestia and Luna would have been if it hadn't played out, but instead we saw a quick version narrated by Celestia? We saw the tears, dialog, and everyone. We witnessed the event play out, rather than recapped in a rushed manner.

Although I liked the time travel stuff, it would have strengthen Starlight's arc more if we had followed her past.

Did her friend really just get his mark and disappear? Could we really not have afforded some screen time to showing us a bit more? Perhaps some dialog between young Starlight and her friend? Get us to develop that same emotional connection that we got for Moon Dancer?

And then the resolution was also rushed. They accept her way too quick. Even with Sunset, the last we see her in Equestria Girls, she's down in the dumps repairing the school. There was no song and parade for her.

The episode felt like fanservice and used a generic reformation plot as a vehicle to guide the scenes.

• Brohoof 4

Actually they were at an impasse, as Twilight herself said they could have fought each other for all eternity and it is unlikely either of them would have gained enough of an advantage for victory. If Starlight Glimmer was really so much more powerful than Twilight, this would not have been the case Starlight clearly would have been the victor in that case. In other words they were both even, so much so that they may as well have been fighting themselves. How Starlight became so powerful is likely a combination of natural talent and years of training, sure most unicorns wouldn't get anywhere near as powerful yet as we saw with Sunset Shimmer in the Equestria Girls movie it is in fact possible to become that powerful without being an alicorn but probably more difficult without the power boost from it.

But here is the thing Twilight is an alicorn where Starlight is just an unicorn which kind of makes me think that Starlight would have won if not for this fact and that pisses me off since, as it was already stated, magic is supposed to be Twilights element and in this whole season ( no matter how good it has been) I haven't seen any new development of Twilight and her magical talent. It seems to me that her being the princess of friendship is her role to play from now on and any individuality is to be completely disregarded I mean she can hardly achieve anything by herself when it comes to friendship problems and while all the rest of the mane six get to have their talents further explored throughout the series Twilight has just been sort of...there in the back this whole season. Don't get me wrong I love all the mane six but Twilight has been my personal fav and this development saddens me 

NUUUUU .... why did you make her join the clique, why ;-; Starlight, I was hoping for so much more out of you ;-;

War, war, war, war! I want to declare a war My fist breaks your porcelain nose There are other things that hands can do To create or to destroy Mini gods and goddesses First person singular Set it, set it, set it off!

Ah the fanfictions, the fanfictions everywhere.  I'm only kidding.

Okay the so time spell back and forth was as terribly bad as I thought it was going to be used.

And it wasn't as bad as I'm making it sound. At least they acknowledged about giving Starlight Glimmer some depth with her background history.  I was wanting for more, but at least they gave a bit.  I guess this just leaves me to believe that Starlight's Glimmer's magical ability and capability was actually self-taught technique. Which makes it quite impressive for herself, at least an explanation for why she got as good as she is with her spells and fighting with Twilight as well. 

Still the most interesting thing to me was her having to learn to get over it and stop being so scared of the future that hasn't come yet.  But like two things, I was on the back of my seat and kept thinking - please don't make this just a cliche revenge plots, please don't, (up until at least first half of the 2nd part, I was getting a bit worried), but SG at least made it interesting (man did I actually raise my hope waiting for the backstory on SG), and Twilight acknowledged that SG was actually, not your average unicorn and was quite talented, that I felt was a nice touch to finally admit that.  Was I hoping for more depth in SG's backstory? Yes. Was I expecting only a small fraction of what I was hoping for? Yes (but holy crud, they held out long enough to make me think she was almost not going to get one!).  They really need more time to develop our antagonists.  I guess I'll take a flimsy backstory over none at all. 

But like why .... why must she join the clique .... nuuuu ;-; I didn't want this.  Oh well, guess I can't see it wrapping up any other way (atm).  Not really enthusiastic about this, but also at least a calculate and thought out decision on Twilight's part (compared to some other princesses who I will not mention).

Edited by pony.colin

it's funny because I was poring over my head someone as non-powerful as starlight glimmer could keep the building hype that each progressive season finale had had - as soon as she said going back in time I knew she was going to go and stop the rainboom - as that was why she was at the presentation to begin with - it managed to use t he powerful season finales from all the other seasons to make it even more epic.

Also I know a lot of people are going to be mad that she was forgiven so easily - but as a spiritual leader I believe this is a VERY important lesson the WORLD needs to hear - that in these times when wars are fuelled off hate it is the forgiveness of people that is needed if anything is going to change - everyone has something in the past that turned them into bad apples, and usually if you can address that you can change them entirely back to good people - people need a chance, and it is those that are never given it that become bad people. I am glad she was forgiven.

I have a feeling she won't have as big a role as people might think though - I think she will go back to being a leadership role in her own town - albeit a less creepy town at this point, with cutie marks :)

also the dischord future seems to be the least terrible future :P

I liked how luna and celestia had afros :P

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 2

I just got done watching it, WHY IS A SHOW FOR LITTLE GIRLS MAKING ME CRY SO MUCH???

10/10

I might have cried more this season than any other one prior. Lost Mark and Mane Attraction in particular but some others too.  :ooh:

Will Starlight actually become the newest member of the group? Or will we only see her about 3 times next season like Discord? Either way, we won't know until Season 6 airs next year. Now, it's time for the fandom to take over for about a year while we wait.

I really want her to have a bigger role, akin to Sunset in EqG. And the fandom take over? I'm writing fimfiction as fast as I can! :icwudt:  

• Brohoof 1

True, but what Twilight said at the end was that 'Starlight had more talent than almost any other unicorn she knew'. She didn't include herself in that, but considering Twilight has been studying magic for all her life and her talent literally is magic, Starlight has to be ridiculously talented and powerful to fight on an even footing with Twilight. Sunset brought Twilight to the human world, where the magic is much weaker, but Starlight was in Equestria and Twilight should have more raw power.

Aside from this, Starlight altered one of Star Swirl the Bearded's spells. When Twilight did that, she ascended to becoming an alicorn. Why was that different for Starlight, and how was she able to do this in the first place? How could she possibly know so much about Twilight's map, when even Twilight doesn't know some of these things? There is something about Starlight that worries me, and I wonder how it will be resolved.

it was the power of friendship that turned twilight to an alicorn - starlight glimmer did it after being hurt by a lack of friendship - and since friendship is the most powerful magic in equestria, it most likely grants the power when it is used at its most potent.

One of the lingering questions so far on my mind, in that final future/present, the windswept barren wasteland... What the hell caused that to happen? :blink:

Edited by JavaJive
  • Brohoof 1

I think it ended well, Starlight Glimmer was like Sunset Shimmer, a unicorn who only thought she was bad, but really, acting out on hurt feelings.

I think the reason why Twilight understands Starlight, Sunset, and Trixie cause she knows how difficult it can be.

• Brohoof 2

Really Enjoyed this  episodes.

That was great episodes, surprice with all this time travel, it was a bit dark. War with these fighting. Good to see some background ponies and Moondancer. Thought it never happen but it did Starlight Glimour change and begin to like her more. It be great if she see her old friend. Wonder what to expect in season 6.

Edited by Adam Burt

Really Enjoyed this  episodes.

That was great episodes, surprice with all this time travel, it was a bit dark. War with these fighting. Good to see some background ponies and Moondancer. Thought it never happen but it did Starlight Glimour change and begin to like her more. It be great if she see her old friend. Wonder what to expect in season 6.

Seeing Moon Dancer again was a delight, even if it was only for a few seconds! She's so adorable and it was a nice touch to have her at Twilight's speech :)

Anyone who cries at THIS episode, must have the constitution of a little girl.

Or is one. 'Target Audience', and all.

Or maybe, just maybe, they geniunely liked it.

It's cool if you didn't, but don't say that others have the intelligence of little girls if they liked it.

• Brohoof 5

This season finale could have add one future timeline "potential villain tease". That would keep us all busy talking about this one villain who might show up in a future season.

• Brohoof 1

Loved this episode!

+Excellent use of time travel. Completely paradox free. 
+The costume design was phenomenal. 
+The story was mature, even for this show
+The "violence" was still silly, and didn't turn into a TK level, brutish, dick measuring contest.
+The best villains are intelligent, not psychotic beyond reason. Starlight was shown the impact of her actions and like Moondancer, was capable of radically changing her ways. 
+I love exploring alternate dimensions. 
+Definitely not a TSPH. The whole episode was about how powerless Twilight was. 

Great episode. Best 2 parter since ACW, and this had to be the best season so far. I didn't think anything could top S4.
  • Brohoof 5

This season finale was really interesting. Exploring Equestria if those villians hadn't been stopped was an awesome idea because I know a lot of fans, including me, were wondering what it would have been like.

Very cool indeed.

I knew all along that Starlight Glimmer was going to be reformed, though. I just had a feeling that it was going to be the end result. I am so excited to see if Starlight Glimmer will be the 7th member of our main cast. 

She could prove to be useful considering how powerful she is.

It's not my favorite finale of MLP:FiM, but it comes in close 2nd.

Man this ep was good.

I feel like Starlight could have been an even better villain if she wasn't just reformed by words like... BAM there we go. Her backstory was a little rushed (I know there's a time limit but it was still a little rushed). I'm not sure whether some of the kids in the age demographic would get all of what's going on... like the way it keeps changing is very quick. 

However, the new designs (such as soldier Rainbow and Guard Rainbow and all of the ponies in the Changeling section) amazed me. I especially like the changes to Rainbow (totally not because she is like, awesome already but) they were just so cool. Starlight is one of the most sophisticated villains we've had on this show, because of how she is just a normal pony. No super-monster from Tartarus or the God of Chaos or something like that. Just a pony with a very twisted psychology. She is different to everything to happen yet. It's just unlike any episode I've seen from this show. It's pace, the characterization and the really beautiful scenes in the different futures. 

And also how there's fanart already ^3^

rainbow_dash_in_the_war__s5_finale_spoil

• Brohoof 2

Okay, I loved these two episodes. I loved the dystopian versions of the present, and I liked the time travel plot more than I thought I would. There is one thing that bugs me, however: how the hell is Starlight so powerful? Twilight is literally magic incarnate, her talent is magic. How, then, is it possible for Starlight to outshine her so much?

I hope the Season 6 opening episodes will explain Starlight's insane talent a bit more, because this is just begging for some kind of explanation.

On the slightly less positive side of things, I did think Starlight's excuse for being the way she was was a bit weak. Losing a friend as a filly is sad, but it shouldn't consume your entire life in the way this did. They could have at least given her more cutie mark related friendship woes, if this is the route they wanted to take.

To end on a cheerful note, though: the song. I love that song, and I'm quite sure I'll be listening to it a lot while waiting for Season 6.

Glimmer being more powerful than Twilight who deserves her talent made me sour. Magic is super powers now in the show, not about the quality and experience of a character. 

I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

The exploration of the different realities was done so well and allowed for some great villain returns. I felt Starlight's redemption was a bit rushed, but I'll be fascinated to see if she becomes a full mane character in the next season.

While it's not my favorite finale, it's still brilliant and overall a strong finish for this season.

• Brohoof 2

With regards to your questions..

• Is Twilight kind of like a mentor now, like Princess Celestia was to her?  - It certainly looks that way.. and I love it, hope to see more of her in the future..
  • Mane 7 confirm? - Maybe, it does seem she's parallel to a certain individual in equestrian girls we know and love.. 
  • How the hell did Starlight Glimmer find the spell and how was she even able to do the spell if Starswirl the Bearded could only even go back a week? - Watch it again, she's mixing the spell with the cutie map, which is why the map continues to exist in all of the realities even when things are altered... it has to for it 
  • Brohoof 1

Quite a few people have been saying that many of the episodes in this season could have been better served by being two parters.

Anyone else fell this could have been better served as a three parter?

• Brohoof 1

3 things. 

1. This proves once and for all that changelings aren't just looking for a food source. They want to take over Equestria and are just like any other parasite
  2. Nightmare moon is the only villain that the ponies will be willing to fallow. Not because she isn't a tyrant but, because she is a good leader. Seeing as though ponies tour the castle
  3. Finally Who's future was the last one? In every example one of the villains took over Equestria until we got to a reality that looked like a scene from Fallout. Unless. Don't quote me on this one but, what if It was Starlight Glimmer's? A future where no pony can do their job and Equestria dies. Cutie Mark magic is what makes the very weather happen so if it was taken out of the equation it would make sense that the world would fall apart like that.
  • Brohoof 3