Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted 3D Rarity - Do her eyes look wrong to you?

Detritus

So, a while back, I made this Rarity model in Blender, and I thought I'd have another go at improving it. There are a lot of problems with it, but there's one thing in particular that's been bugging me. There's something wrong with her eyes, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Does anyone else have any idea? Is it just a by-product of converting a 2D character into 3D?

image removed

image removed

I've made models of the other mane 5 characters and Spike, and most of them have similar issues. Fluttershy is the only one that looks right to me.

If this is just a 2D to 3D conversion problem, I may just give up and try drawing again instead. Doing exaggerated facial expressions in 3D is also much more difficult than it is in 2D. :lol:

Edited by Detritus
  • Brohoof 8

It looks great. The only problem I see is that it isn't Fluttershy. :squee:

Seriously though... the reason your Rarity may not look quite right to you is because you made her and you may have a negative bias towards your own work and abilities. The fact that this is a 3D version of a 2D character is also a huge factor as well. I like it though and I think it looks pretty accurate.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thanks everyone. I always have trouble figuring stuff like this out on my own.

I think (I'm not sure though,) that the eyes are tilting forward ever so slightly. I'm not sure if this was meant to be, or an accident.

You're doing great work, by the way. :rarity:

That might be it. I looked at a few pictures, and the eyes do seem to be slanted back a little more than I have them. I'll have to try rotating them back a bit. Thanks for your insight. :)

Edited by Detritus
  • Brohoof 2

Looks good!! The eyes could be a little bigger. Especially wider in the front view.

Ponies have BIG eyes...

Rarity-from-My-Little-Ponies-Season-1-Ep

But overall it's top notch.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Looks good!! The eyes could be a little bigger. Especially wider in the front view.

Ponies have BIG eyes...

sig-4334220.Rarity-from-My-Little-Ponies

But overall it's top notch.

Thanks. I think you're probably right. Trouble is, if I widen the eyes at the front, they'll probably appear too wide from the side and three-quarter views. I'll give it a try though. :)

Edited by Detritus
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, you certainly have the correct foundation, modeling the eyes at approximately a 45 degree angle between front and side, so they are clearly visible from both angles.  I've seen some ponies that were only modeled from ortho left and right, and they look like a fish.  Yours are quite nice looking.  I think they're better than you give yourself credit for.  Much better than Source.

• Brohoof 1

Well, you certainly have the correct foundation, modeling the eyes at approximately a 45 degree angle between front and side, so they are clearly visible from both angles.  I've seen some ponies that were only modeled from ortho left and right, and they look like a fish.  Yours are quite nice looking.  I think they're better than you give yourself credit for.  Much better than Source.

Thanks. Yeah, I think I've seen some toys that look like that (plushies if I remember correctly). They look great from the side, but when you look at them from the front, they look very strange.

• Brohoof 1

The body looks great. The hair looks way too shiny; the hair on the Fluttershy you did looks much better. The eyes could be a bit bigger and they seem to be floating off her face. Although that could just be the lighting. Overall, really good job with the models. Keep up the good work!

• Brohoof 1

I think she looks pretty. :) For some really weird reason her eyes look a bit too far forward, but maybe that's just 'cause I'm not used to looking at 3D art.

Thanks. You're right about that actually. I had to make a bit of a compromise between the front and side views, and that required moving the eyes a bit further forward than they should be. The side view looks a bit off as a result, but I couldn't think of a better way to do it without giving her a really distorted head.

The body looks great. The hair looks way too shiny; the hair on the Fluttershy you did looks much better. The eyes could be a bit bigger and they seem to be floating off her face. Although that could just be the lighting. Overall, really good job with the models. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I wasn't too sure about that shiny hair myself. It definitely looks too metallic as it is, so I'll probably either get rid of it or tone it down a little. As for the floating eye thing, I'm guessing that must be an optical illusion of some sort. The eyes are actually attached to her face.

So, a while back, I made this Rarity model in Blender, and I thought I'd have another go at improving it. There are a lot of problems with it, but there's one thing in particular that's been bugging me. There's something wrong with her eyes, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Does anyone else have any idea? Is it just a by-product of converting a 2D character into 3D?

sig-4333240.mWpbwrc.png

sig-4333240.GFcZNFv.png

I've made models of the other mane 5 characters and Spike, and most of them have similar issues. Fluttershy is the only one that looks right to me.

If this is just a 2D to 3D conversion problem, I may just give up and try drawing again instead. Doing exaggerated facial expressions in 3D is also much more difficult than it is in 2D. :lol:

No it's truly beautiful. Her eyes look wrong?IDK why you would think that.

• Brohoof 1