Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The strobe effect during "The Spectacle" a possible epileptic trigger?

Dark Qiviut

This is in connection to my other topic about not being able to play games due to photosensitive epilepsy.

One strong aspect about Friendship Is Magic's pastel colors is they're cheerful and bright enough to create a welcoming atmosphere, but they're dull enough to make it comfortable to the eyes. This is especially the case for me because my eyes are very light-sensitive, and I suffered a photosensitive seizure a long time ago. The only time where the colors really bothered me is the Rainbow Power M6, because they really clashed.

But none of it bothered me more than during The Spectacle. Now, the song's fine. My problem is the visuals. The overly saturated flashing beams and strobes during the song really burned my eyes and made it difficult to watch after a few seconds. Sometimes I skip the whole sequence out of fear that my eyes will twitch.

Did anyone here feel the same way? If not, can you see it as a possible trigger for epilepsy?

The normal colours of the show hurt my eyes when I watch it on the TV, so I have a problem there, but it's fine on my PC. And yes it probably could cause triggers of epilepsy and the likes, I don't think it's as bad as that episode of pokemon ages ago though.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not all frequencies affect epilepsy the same way. I assume they checked it before airing, unless they want to tempt the wrath of concerned parents.

Not every country has a standard to check for patterns and lighting to check for epileptic seizures, and I'm not so sure if the US has federal mandated laws regarding them other than warnings, either. (If they did, they wouldn't allow The Problem Solverz — a show that can trigger seizures — to air uncontested.) In the US, websites provided by the federal government are monitored by section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act at recommndation of flickering lights no greater than 2 Hz and lower than 55 Hz. Private websites aren't. Some UK broadcasting networks use the Harding Test to filter content that can trigger epilepsy. Japan did the same, especially after the infamous Pokemon episode.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Not every country has a standard to check for patterns and lighting to check for epileptic seizures, and I'm not so sure if the US has federal mandated laws regarding them other than warnings, either. (If they did, they wouldn't allow The Problem Solverz — a show that can trigger seizures — to air uncontested.) In the US, websites provided by the federal government are monitored by section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act at recommndation of flickering lights no lower than 2 Hz and higher than 55 Hz. Private websites aren't. Some UK broadcasting networks use the Harding Test to filter content that can trigger epilepsy. Japan did the same, especially after the infamous Pokemon episode.

Interesting. Then we should get some savvy Brony to put this episode through a wringer.

… Wait, recommendation at 2-55 Hz? Isn’t that actually in the common range for seizure induction? Am I just misreading?

… Wait, recommendation at 2-55 Hz? Isn’t that actually in the common range for seizure induction? Am I just misreading?

Sorry, I made a big mistake and edited the post you quoted. Here's the recommendation (from Wikipedia, bold emphasis mine):

In the United States, websites provided by federal agencies are governed by section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. The Act says that pages shall be designed to avoid causing the screen to flicker with a frequency greater than 2 Hz and less than 55 Hz.

(edited)

No TV people want a repeat of that one (now banned) Pokemon episode.

What happened with the hundreds of kids sent to the hospital is why so many programs are very cautious about photosensitive seizures today. But that doesn't mean shows or episodes don't slip through. The Problem Solverz's really bright colors clash the eyes and can really trigger a seizure warning at worst and eye damage at least. Some private TV companies have filters, but not all governments do.

Stop being so sensitive, it's honestly not all that intense man.

No, I won't "stop." Seizures aren't funny, and the strobe lights flicker are very intense. All of us should take this seriously.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

(edited)

Who would of thunk certain lights on a show could cause problems.

It definitely can, and it's not old news, either. In 1997, nearly 700 kids in Japan were sent to the hospital after watching a Pokemon episode that included seizure-inducing colors. Problem Solverz was panned for having seizure-inducing patterns and colors, Pinball and video games are attached with seizure warnings because the bright lights can trigger 'em. 1 every 4,000 people have photosensitive seizures, so it's a very big deal.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

To me the Spectacle is tame compared to another seizure incident known as the Cabbage Episode. Where flashing lights on a TV show called Soupe Opera caused 400 kids in France to have seizures.

So in a way it is recommended for the Spectacle scene to be slowed down in the UK because of that risk.

(edited)

@@superdogz1999, To me, a risk is a risk regardless of tameness, and it was a really bad idea to use the strobe effect. The fact that The Spectacle can hurt my eyes, possibly trigger a photosensitive epilepsy symptom, and have other people believe so is enough.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I don't think the strobe effect in the spectacle was anywhere near the proper frequency to cause a photosensitive triggered epileptic seizure. I even googled it and found no information on any cases. Still, I can see where photosensitive people would be worried. I liked the scene, but I think if it went on for any length of time I'd end up with a blinding headache. I know that's much lesser of a medical problem, but I suffer terrible headaches from cheap LED lighting that doesn't have capacitors to dampen out the "flicker" caused by changing AC to DC current.  

• Brohoof 1

Maybe wear sunglasses or just look away from the screen and listen to the music during that scene? I know it doesn't fix the problem, but at least its a work-around for that particular instance.

I don't think it could give seizures... but headaches are not fun either.

post-23903-0-78836200-1453351601_thumb.jpg

POKEMON.     I had to post this with all the mentions of it.   Also, I didn't even notice the flashing lights that much until i seen this.

One more thing....  ^^ Dick ^^

EDIT:  Not talking about you Zoraxe, you posted before i got to.

Edited by CodeHell

I didn't watch the whole episode all the way through, but I looked up the song.

I've never had a seizure, I'll get that out of the way, and flashing colors really never bothered me. I don't know why, but for some reason it was kind of hard to watch, I kept wanting to squint my eyes for some reason.

Stop being so sensitive, it's honestly not all that intense man.

Ummm... Seizures aren't really a matter of "being too sensitive", they are a serious medical condition. It's not really an issue of being "offended" it's a matter of having a seizure which can kill you.

Honestly I think the solution though is just put a warning before the episode so people who are prone to seizures are aware.

Is there like a special screen you can place over your television or computer monitor to filter out the glare?

Or maybe you can fiddle with the brightness and other settings of the device you are viewing your entertainment.