Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If Equestria becomes a republic/democracy

cider float

One of the downfalls of any democracy is that it would have to account for the various wishes and needs of it's varied population. Not only are we speaking of the divide between unicorn, pegasi, earth pony, crystal pony, and, if Griffinstone is in Equestria, griffons, there is also the cultural and geographical variance that would differentiate places like Manehatten, Cloudsdale, and Appleloosa. As such whomever is voted into the seat of power would have to not only keep all of this in mind, but also learn how to compromise and realize that not everypony will come away happy.

For the ponies it would be quite the culture shock; I think.

Of course, to answer the question, if I were to vote for someone, I would likely vote for...Celestia I suppose. Stability seems to be a common thing in Equestria...aside from the villainous elements.

Celestia for president for life, with Luna as vice-president.

Hey, you can't deny the track record.

If we go by track record, Luna would go straight into impeachment trial. Celestia may be impeached too, although she may be able to be acquitted.

If we go by track record, Luna would go straight into impeachment trial. Celestia may be impeached too, although she may be able to be acquitted.

Over a thousand years of a relatively idyllic society sounds like a pretty good run to me. And Luna served her time.

This is a quote from "So long and thanks for all the ponies" by Sir Ginger...

Democracy had never really been considered as a political practice in Equestria. Celestia was basically a benevolent ruler, and she was certainly willing to be guided by other ponies, But at the end of the day, any elected official would have to be able to demonstrate the power to raise the sun and moon every day, and keep life on the planet from ending forever. This is a fairly effective barrier to any candidate, as nopony, regardless of political belief, is going to consider the “Let Everything on the Planet Die” Party.

• 6 months later...

I think I would vote for Celestia or Twilight.

I actually came across this as I had a daydream of someone saying "Vote like Zecora".

If Equestria was a democracy, would Zecora vote, how, and for whom?

I would move out and watch as the nation descends into civil war. When you give power to the people, the people will fight among themselves for that power. Every pony in Equestria will think their way is the right way, and condemn anypony else who disagrees. A minority will get to make decisions for the majority.

Presidents don't have that much power, as they have to answer to the checks and balances system. A congress and a supreme court will need to be applied. So it's really a ruling group. Only Prime Minsters have sole power in a country. And if there were a president, woudl the citizens elect like a true democracy, where bigger cities decide for smaller ones. Or woudl it be a constitutional republic like the U.S.? Representatives from those cities & regions decide, giving everyone an equal say, but potentially disagreeing with the popular vote? 

If anything, democracy woudl be more restrictive for Equestrians, as fro I've observed, Equestria is an anarchy. No centralized government binding the various towns together. The royal guard is akin to the secret service for the princesses. Each town is on it's own in terms of protection. Civilians are the first respondents and primary means of defense.  The only reason the princesses have power is becasue each town and the majority of the populace have agreed that their best to fill the roll, cause somepony has to. That and they keep the planet alive. 

But if I had to choose, I'll vote Discord. Cause the country is gonna end up a huge mess whether we vote for him or not. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

Well, what kind of representative government are we talking about here? Is it unitary or a federation? Would the legislative body be like the English Parliament, or the American Congress? Would the head of state be a monarch, an elected representative, or a body of elected representatives? What powers would the central government have? How would representatives be elected? Regardless of any of these, I find it doubtful that most of the cast would seek election. Applejack has her farm. Rarity and Rainbow Dash have their careers. Pinkie Pie might actually run, but her "Party Party" would likely not be successful. Twilight may actually run, too, but why would ponies vote for members of the Quadarchy they had just overthrown? Keep going through the cast, and it's hard to find viable candidates who would have cause to run. Maybe Fancy Pants, or the Mayor of Ponyville. These are the only two who seem to be prominent politically inclined individuals, honestly.

If Equestria were to become a republic, I'd probably vote for Twilight Sparkle. As it stands, I think she'd make a good Prime Minister, since my personal headcanon is that Equestria is a Constitutional Monarchy, albeit with substantial powers reserved for the Head of State.