Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Discussion Thread

Colon Leftbracket

Hello all, I am a new pegasister to the forums and the mlp fandom. But I've been a long time fan of Star Wars and a fan of swtor for about a year. Since we have no mlp mmo yet, I was thinking it would be cool if I found others on here who love both swtor/ Star Wars and mlp: fim. I love playing with others in swtor, but sadly only have one friend who really plays anymore and his computer is screwed up right now so he can't play. Anyway, I was thinking how cool it would be to have a mlp guild on swtor. Unless there already is one??? If so, let me know!

• 3 months later...

Haiz! I was wondering if any of the bronies here in our community are players of the game Star Wars the Old Republic, because if you are; I'd LOVE to hear what you think about the game and stuff :3 I play on the Harbinger, Begeren Colony, and Jedi Convenant servers if your wondering ^_^

Update: I still play it for the storylines, since I'm just one of those people who will endure through the game downsides just to experience the story. Some I have been dissapointed with, but so far I've been through Jedi Consular and Imperial Agent to 50, currently working on others. I dunno why I stick around :P I have met some amazing people from that game, and have been friends with them for atleast a year, we're all in the same guild as well <3

Edited by Stary Dreams

I use to play for a little, but i kinda stopped after my 1 year ran out, dunno.

I like star wars and stuff, i just dunno ;p.

I loved Swkotor though. Played the crap outta it. Played a decent bit of Swtor. But not a whole ton, only got to like 26 or something on my sith, my highest.

And i no longer have a membership, nor the game actually since my computer broke and i'm on a new crappy one that can't run the game anyways.

• Brohoof 1

I liked it at first, it was immerse. But the game was boring to me. A lot of the abilities were too easy to identify from other classes, which made me lose a sense of individuality from them. For example, Commando's and Bounty Hunters have the exact same healing style, and look very similar. There really isn't anything that makes Bounty hunter stand out more than the commando when it comes to that specialization.

Same goes for the melee classes, they share the same attack styles among the respected class types. This caused me to be uninterested in playing the game as no one felt special, or unique to their own class/abilities. When I play WoW for example, every class has almost different animations and particle effects for every role they can perform. A shaman and monk do not have the same spell effects. A Human and a Orc do not have the same melee animations. There is more diversity in WoW than there was in SWTOR; and in the end, that was more immerse than the story of SWTOR ever could be. Well, if you ask me at least.

Considering how old WoW was, and how recent SWTOR was, I was just disappointed.

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki

I liked it at first, it was immerse. But the game was boring to me. A lot of the abilities were too easy to identify from other classes, which made me lose a sense of individuality from them. For example, Commando's and Bounty Hunters have the exact same healing style, and look very similar. There really isn't anything that makes Bounty hunter stand out more than the commando when it comes to that specialization.

Same goes for the melee classes, they share the same attack styles among the respected class types. This caused me to be uninterested in playing the game as no one felt special, or unique to their own class/abilities. When I play WoW for example, every class has almost different animations and particle effects for every role they can perform. A shaman and monk do not have the same spell effects. A Human and a Orc do not have the same melee animations. There is more diversity in WoW than there was in SWTOR; and in the end, that was more immerse than the story of SWTOR ever could be. Well, if you ask me at least.

Considering how old WoW was, and how recent SWTOR was, I was just disappointed.

Yeah... SWtOR had people disappointed, and Im not surprised either. The lag on the servers and the restrictions for F2P are ridiculous, and you share a point with the skillsets.

• Brohoof 2

I used to play SWTOR, and I even payed for it a few months after it came out. I eventually stopped due to school stuff, but I came back to find this... monstrosity of a free-to-play game.

Though, I really did enjoy the PvP a lot more than WoW's PvP, and it was nicer to stare at the game than WoW in combat. Not really impressed with the PvE either. 

@,

Being refined is not the same as "dumbing" down. For example: A lot of the talents that were removed were redundant, and pointless filler. It is simpler to an extent yes, but it makes much more sense than it did before cata/Mop. And you will always have cookie cutter builds, so in that regard, the game can't be "dumbed down" as it always had the "Mandatory" build for w/e spec.

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki

I used to play it about nearly 100 hours but then i took a Dota 2 beta invite key in the face. Now i am a MOBA gamer but not a MMORPG gamer anymore.

EA and Blizzard are dumbing down this genre.

To be honest, imo the MMO genre as a subset of gaming is pretty dead. It's nigh impossible to develop an MMO that truly has innovative and engaging gamepley without glaring flaws, nonetheleast of which is the paradigmatic reliance on grinding. I HATE grinding.

That's why MOBA games are so much better. You get the feeling of playing with thousands of players, you unlock things without endless grinding in most of them, the gameplay is extremely deep, complicated, and rewarding, and they have the highest level of teamwork available in modern gaming.

There's nothing like getting a group of buddies and face-rolling unprepared and uncoordinated noobs.

Back to the topic. I never personally played SWTOR but I had a few very close friends who did and they universally said it pulls you in in the beginning but then it becomes boring, and even terrible at times, pretty quickly, so I never bothered to try it myself.

Not a huge fan of MMOs to begin with. Star Wars games that weren't lone RPGs were never great either.

Edited by Dusknight Haze

To be honest, imo the MMO genre as a subset of gaming is pretty dead. It's nigh impossible to develop an MMO that truly has innovative and engaging gamepley without glaring flaws, nonetheleast of which is the paradigmatic reliance on grinding. I HATE grinding.

That's why MOBA games are so much better. You get the feeling of playing with thousands of players, you unlock things without endless grinding in most of them, the gameplay is extremely deep, complicated, and rewarding, and they have the highest level of teamwork available in modern gaming.

There's nothing like getting a group of buddies and face-rolling unprepared and uncoordinated noobs.

Back to the topic. I never personally played SWTOR but I had a few very close friends who did and they universally said it pulls you in in the beginning but then it becomes boring, and even terrible at times, pretty quickly, so I never bothered to try it myself.

Not a huge fan of MMOs to begin with. Star Wars games that weren't lone RPGs were never great either.

Everything has its glory age and its downfall. In the end, every MMO ends with uninnovation and time in which all-mighty dollar started everything then ending everything.

We can formally say that the money itself is the beginning and the end.

I've started playing TOR when it was f2p already. First I wanted to just learn stories for each class, then I've joined guild and started doing group quests. I have to say- for first few months game was fun, but then it started to get boring. Almost no new content, terrible new armor designs (at least IMO) and learning story of every class is almost impossible, because You have to do same quests all the time and it can really get annoying. Another problem is that while I played only on RP server most people were (sorry for such word) just idiots. Or they were just playing role of idiots (nobody specified which role should be played :P). On republic AND imperial fleet it was just normal than someone was arguing about some pointless stuff. Also on first flashpoints I was almost always ninja'd by someone. Another problem is that game mechanics are just copy-paste from World of Warcraft, is it really hard to invent Your own mechanics instead of mindless copying WoW? And some skills were ridiculous (XS Freighter Flyby aka bombarding from orbit in closed cave? Seriously?). Overall it was game with lots of potential (as every SW game) wasted. And don't get me wrong. 16 jedi knights slashing one enemy for 5 minutes look just ridiculous, when considering what lightsaber is capable of in other SW games or movies. 

I played it for a while, a pretty long while actually, even bought the Hutt Cartel expansion, however like the other ponies who posted before me attest, it gets boring fast, so after I got off of Coruscant with my Jedi Consular, I just couldn't motivate myself to continue playing. It saddens me really because I wanted to like the game so much!

• 10 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Had fun playing it but lost interest several hours in. That, and also my computer can't run it on high graphics settings so I had lowest graphics on.

• Sad 1