Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro and Mattel in Possible Merger Talks

takai

As reported here on IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/04/mattel-and-hasbro-reportedly-in-merger-talks?watch

We all know Hasbro and Mattel are some of the biggest toy companies in America, and are well known across the globe. They are of course rival companies, but a possible merger could happen. There's no guarantee however as it appears to just be just talks.

Is this a good or bad thing? What do you think would happen to My Little Pony with this merger?

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of it. Would they still be called Hasbro and Mattel? Or will they be HasMat?  :lol:

In all seriousness, I feel like Hasbro should just stay their own company. I don't want to see My Little Pony x Barbie. Ever.

Note to Mods: If this is in the wrong section, please move to the correct one!

Edited by takai
  • Brohoof 1

I doubt it'll happen. They're pretty big rivals. Aside from inevitable monopoly, I can't see them getting along at all

• Brohoof 3

if it did happen it would speak volumes about the poor economy, they wouldn't be wanting to merge if it wasn't for survival.

That wouldn't be the case, as both companies had a great showing, with increased revenues last year (into the billions on both sides).

• Brohoof 1

That wouldn't be the case, as both companies had a great showing, with increased revenues last year (into the billions on both sides).

Indeed, also as IGN explains, they both own the rights to certain popular Disney franchises. They would most certainly be a "mega" company.

As long as MLP stays untouched, that's all I care about.

This would certainly be huge as they both are the biggest powers in the entire toy market. If they would do a merge, then that would create one massive toy Monopoly. On top of that, Hasbro owns Monopoly! Double Monopoly. Doublopoly. I honestly can't say for certain if that is a positive outcome, but only time will tell, that is if they do the merge at all. 

I doubt it'll happen. They're pretty big rivals. Aside from inevitable monopoly, I can't see them getting along at all

It may not create a monopoly. Lego are currently the biggest toy company in the world. I imagine if they are going to merge it's likely to compete with lego. 

I'm surprised Disney hasn't gobbled up Hasbro yet on its way to world domination. 

As for Mattel, I don't know enough about it to be able to say either way. As long as it doesn't affect the quality of the show negatively I doubt i'd care much.

• Brohoof 1

Even if this were in the preliminary stages of planning I have a hard time seeing such a merger come to fruition. It wasn't that long ago with Dollar General and Family Dollar were on the merge of a, well, merger when Family Dollar pretty much did a face turn and merged with a small company (Dollar Tree) as a result of fears US regulations being harsh on the merger with the bigger company.

I'm not sure of the rivals aside from Hasbro and Mattel, but I wouldn't be too shocked if US regulators would find issue here.

I doubt that such a large company could be run sustainably. Hasbro should instead try hooking up with a media company.

You really think so?  Even together Hasbro and Mattel are still tiny compared to large companies that seem to function well enough.

The two of them individually are both smaller than Electronic Arts, even together they are smaller than Sony, and they are dwarfed by large companies like Amazon, GSK, Alphabet, Apple and so on.

You really think so?  Even together Hasbro and Mattel are still tiny compared to large companies that seem to function well enough.

The two of them individually are both smaller than Electronic Arts, even together they are smaller than Sony, and they are dwarfed by large companies like Amazon, GSK, Alphabet, Apple and so on.

Mainly it's because of the sector they're in. Most companies in the toy sector have been on shaky ground at best lately. Innovation would save them more than any merger or acquisition would. A merger could hold some benefits if done right, but a backfire could be disastrous, thus the risks might be too great.

It could end up like the Penn Central merger. Merging the two largest railroad companies in the northern US might have sounded like an awesome idea on paper, especially when rail travel was declining and companies needed all of the help they could get. In the end, it was a desperation move that led to the biggest bankruptcy in US history.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not usually what you'd call a violently outspoken bronie, but I must say this. I will personally kick Barbie's ass and snatch her bald if she ever steps foot in Equestria!

Didn't mean to break it to you but she already did.

cute_starlight_glimmer__by_8_notes-d9iii

P.S. I wouldn't mind if you did shaved her bald and kick her ass.

Edited by cider float

I've seen this all over JPtoys and RebelScum, too. I, personally, do not hope it happens. There's no guarantee that this would increase quality control (in fact, it destroyed it when Hasbro dissolved Kenner), but it's almost certainty that Discovery would use this as a way to further try to inch Hasbro out of their contract on Discovery Family (they've been pushing a lot already). Would probably be disastrous for us Bronies. It would essentially be what happened to TCW with the LucasFilm sale, and we all know how that turned out. *cough* slashed budgets *cough*

Hasbro and Mattel, huh?  That could potentially create a monopoly on the toy market.  If this merger goes through, and some other company tries to file a lawsuit to prevent the merger, would that be a Has-Matt suit?

:squee:

I didn't even bother to make the obvious monopoly joke, since one of them owns Monopoly...

Edited by Time Shield
  • Brohoof 1

Hasbro and Mattel, huh?  That could potentially create a monopoly on the toy market.  If this merger goes through, and some other company tries to file a lawsuit to prevent the merger, would that be a Has-Matt suit?

:squee:

I didn't even bother to make the obvious monopoly joke, since one of them owns Monopoly...

Hahahaha why not? I would have jumped at the chance. Oh yeah MLP monopoly sounds hot.

As long as MLP isn't affected, I really don't care about this possible merger. I never cared for anything Mattel has, and Pony is the only part of Hasbro I enjoy. This merger won't really affect me of Pony isn't ruined by it. I collect anything Pony related, anyway, so the quality doesn't matter to me most of the time. If a pony themed Barbie comes out, I'd buy it anyway.