Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kae

Hello and howdy! 

Before I kick the discussion off, allow me to introduce myself: I go by Kae, and I am a fairly new member in the poniverse! When it comes to fanfiction, I often type up one-shot fics on my spare time, but I have never had the confidence to post my work, for I am a terrible self-critic. 

Anyways, I've often wondered whether or not the brony community had a consensus concerning original and canon characters. In your opinion, is one more favorable to you than the other? Whether you have the perspective of the writer or the reader, I am sure you prefer one over the other. 

Personally, I am biased towards canonical fiction as a reader. When executed well, the characters are fleshed out beautifully in dynamic situations that the show cannot tackle. However, the introduction of original characters is not "bad," in fact, I find many OCs charming. But regarding one over the other? Canon characters in fanfiction win all the way!

• Brohoof 1

I believe that unless there is a canon character, then most people aren't really going to read the story. OCs can be real show-like, but there are some pretty bad OCs. Canon characters are seemingly more interesting to see if the role-player are telling the canon's personality correctly or not. Sadly, OCs whether good or bad just don't seem interesting because so many people have one. -_-

Edited by CinnamonPop
  • Brohoof 1

The problem with writing fanfic using established characters is that a lot of people write existing characters badly.  Actually, badly may be the wrong word (in some cases). 

Any two people watching the same program on TV will likely interpret a characters motivations differently, and when that character is transferred to a fanfic a possible result is the character behaving in a way that that goes against the expectations of the reader.

Similarly, some people have the most bizarre headcanons which can cause you to dissociate the character in the fanfic with the character in the program.

Obviously, that is not always the case, some fanfic authors are very good at writing for the canon characters.  On balance though, I would generally say that writing with OCs is a much safer proposition.

Don't misunderstand me though, I'm not suggesting for a second that people shouldn't write canon characters into their fanfics if that's what makes them happy.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

I agree. It can be really hard to capture the personality and drive of canon characters in any fandom. One of the most problematic issues for canonical work, I think, is the one-dimensional execution of the Mane 6. While some of their personality traits are very straightforward, they also have deeper qualities that can be easily ignored or forgotten in fanfiction. It's really easy to fall into stereotypes.   

• Brohoof 1

As a published author and writer of fanfiction as well, I have to butt in with my opinion on the matter. In all honesty I just find reading about canon characters boring. In a way I liken it almost as bait so that someone will start reading. Because the main characters and other ponies that we've already seen in the show are so familiar, people choose to write about them because it doesn't stray very far from peoples' comfort zone.

It's safe. Average. Okay. 5/10. We already have an entire show dedicated to them, wouldn't it be much more interesting to explore other characters that are (most of the time) lovingly crafted and thought out that don't actually have screentime or exist within the confines of the show?

This is why I find it much more rewarding and interesting to write and read stories that don't involve canon characters. It's just so interesting to me learning about other characters, and it's part of the reason all of my fics are centered around OCs.

• Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

• Brohoof 1

I'm heavily in favor of canon characters. Generally when I read fanfiction about anything, it's because I care about the characters and not so much the setting. Because of that, I prefer to see OCs in a supporting role in fics, at best. It's not that they can't be handled well, and it's not like there are no exceptions to this preference, but overall canon beats OC every time.

First of all, welcome to the forums!

As for a consensus, I don't think there's any. There's too many people with different tastes, some like OCs more, some like canon characters more. Personally, I prefer to read stories with canon characters, though I don't object to the use of OCs in 'em. I think I can sum it up like that, I like canon chars in main roles and OCs in secondary roles.

I'm not a common reader of fanfiction, preferring visual art. But I have read some, and going on both sides, there are pros and cons to both.

Others have pretty much said it about canon characters. Canon characters already exist, so there's already a connection you feel to them, being that you know who they are, most of what they do in a situation, what they want, etc. However, many writers have trouble translating this creatively to the point where you have the writing equivalent to the Uncanny Valley, where the closer the character generally is to their canon counterpart, the more jarring a mistake is. This applies to visual art and fan animation as well; sometimes leaving out a detail or making small mistakes in replicating another artist's style causes mistakes to become magnified, the same way it does when replicating a real human through robotics or animation.

OCs are just as tough, because the audience doesn't know these characters. They need to be made compelling to get the audience to connect to them. There is a huge variation in quality between OCs; some have the potential to be more likable than even the canon characters whereas others fall into negative tropes like the all-too-common Mary Sue. The good in OCs is that they can fill a character niche that canon hasn't covered yet (my main OC was an adult blank flank for a year and a half), as well as combining or innovating upon the roles of other characters or stories. Arguably, writing an OC story means taking a bigger risk considering you're developing unknown characters, but the potential to tell stories that the main canon either can't or won't tell is strong, and some people can't help but want something new when they've had enough of those canon characters.

Overall, I consider the risks and benefits of both. Each one serves a story differently.

I like OCs. There are only so many 2000-word front-page fics you can make about OCs before it all gets tiring. As long as the OC is well-made and thought was put into it, and it's more than a generic archetype, I'll like it. Besides, you can tell stories about OCs you couldn't tell using canons.

I think a good blend of both... things about canon characters, things about OCs, and things with both. The most important thing, I think, is the quality of the writing. Pony OCs tend to work pretty well... we're a lucky fandom in that sense. So do whatever makes you feel happiest. :)