Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Equestria Girls feel like Friendship is Magic?

ShadowSJG

good question but I have to ask you and the rest of the people another question on that same note. SHould EQG have the same tone/feeling as the main show or would that simply be rehashing stuff we have already seen.
to answer your question, the tone is the same but the feeling is different.

To me, no. FiM has this sense of wonder and magic within it at all times, it feels far more fantastical. EqG, it is just girls in high school, with some magic thrown in here and there. It doesn't quite feel the same to me. It's too familiar and realistic of a setting to have the same tone. 

Well, no. The Mane 7 had to use the magic of friendship to defeat The Dazzilings in "Rainbow Rocks."

Sure, The Friendship Games didn't have much aspect of friendship, the people in Sci-Twi's school were big dumb meanies but she discovered the magic of friendship in the end.

Depends on what you mean by "feels". In that it features the same(in a sense) characters we know and love being friends in a different setting, then yes. If by feel, you mean, everything we expect from Friendship is Magic such as the adventures of spreading the magic of friendship in a fantasy world while taking on threats to the magic of friendship, then no, EQG is a totally different thing

Depends on what you mean by "feels". In that it features the same(in a sense) characters we know and love being friends in a different setting, then yes. If by feel, you mean, everything we expect from Friendship is Magic such as the adventures of spreading the magic of friendship in a fantasy world while taking on threats to the magic of friendship, then no, EQG is a totally different thing

I think you're spot on with the first part, thats what I mean more

Not at all. Even taking the first film out of the equation and adding more of the Equestrian magic element, it still feels more like stereotypical, clichéd high school drama than a Friendship Is Magic spinoff. It's only MLP-related because they plastered the logo and cardboard, flanderized versions of the Mane Six on top.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Well, in the end, It doesn't feel like FiM, but that doesn't mean I consider EqG less as a result. It's just different. :)

• Brohoof 2

They put on the MLP trademark, just so they can gather a wider audience. If they used the same stories, just with different characters, i don't think it would've taken off.

So no, this dosen't feel like the MLP i know.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, EGQ was ok, but it wasn't comparable to Fim.

Before I took interest in Mlp, I saw EGQ first and then started watching the show. Fim was like a breath of fresh air, somewhere were I can relax and really enjoy the show. EGQ in the other hand, was full of high school stereotypes and teen drama that took the charm and fantasy from the Fim. If EGQ wasn't set in a "modern" like society, then the movie wouldn't feel like a parody of reality.

I don't think EqG does much of a good job recapturing the feel of FiM, mainly because the setting and characters were a big draw to the original. Here, they're reduced to mere variables.

The inclusion of Equestrian magic only seems to be a momentary distraction from what would otherwise be pedestrian and typical kids' high school movies. Also, I feel that the movies constantly have this sense that they need to remind us who all the Mane 6 are, and truthfully that's because who we're seeing on the screen are not the Mane 6 we've seen over the course of the series, but the Mane 6 in name and design only.

The lone high points of the series would have to be Sunset Shimmer's character arc and the Dazzlings' performance as villains. Other than that, EqG is a very take-it-or-leave-it spinoff that is worth much less than the franchise on whose coattails it rides.

The relationship between FiM and EqG feels like watching your favorite athlete endorse a subpar product.

Edited by Wind Chaser

• 2 weeks later...

I do in some respects... but not in a good way. I am honestly so freakin sick of the whole "I am an evil person but by almost destroying the universe I learned my lesson"... like, first they did it with sunset... then sic-twi, then starlight glimmer... I personally just think that it's getting to be a bit much. I really hope that in the new EG movie, it has a different ending lol! It's starting to get predictable!