Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite Retro Videogame

PyroMotional-Pony

(mine is the Mother/EarthBound Series)

Mother 2 is my favorite RPG. ^ ^

My favorite retro / classic title is Super Mario Bros. 3.  I'm also a big fan of early Castlevania and Mega Man titles; particularly Simon's Quest and Mega Man III.  I tend to enjoy a lot of old school platformers, turned-based RPGS, falling block puzzlers, run n' gun titles, and SHMUPS.

• Brohoof 1

Spyro the Dragon, one through three. The PS2 one, Enter The Dragonfly, was an absolute disaster that nobody put any effort into. The yellow gem model is used for 10 and 25, for crying out loud! A major part of the game and series as a whole, not even given unique models!

• Brohoof 1

Megaman X is such an awesome game that I have to pick it. One of the best action platformers ever. Killer Instinct on the SNES is also a great one, the SNES version is pretty much superior to the arcade version in overall balance. 

Killer Instinct is one of my favorite tournament fighters; I've always been enamored of the combo system.

post-26550-0-68981500-1456521052_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Back in my day, they were just called vidja games, none of this retro hooey...I've become Cranky Kong...

Super Mario Bros. 3...G.O.A.T.

Earthbound

A Link To The Past

• Brohoof 2

Killer Instinct is one of my favorite tournament fighters; I've always been enamored of the combo system.

attachicon.gifkilluh instinkt.JPG

Yup, I remember that glorious dark cartridge well. ^__^ Such a gem for the system. It didn't have the graphics and sound of the arcade exactly, but it sure was fun, more fun than the cheap arcade version for sure. 

• Brohoof 1

I may never forgive myself for letting go of Earthbound.

For shame. I have my original, with the box and manual/players guide. I tossed the scratch and sniff cards 20 years ago...because they were disgusting.  

• Brohoof 1

"This game stinks."  I only managed to find a naked copy in a pawn shop years after release.

You had that at least...you may come upon it again.

It's really crazy how the game has grown in popularity. I remember in school, I was the ONLY person I knew that had the game, or even hard of the game. I met maybe one person in high school who had played it...it really makes me happy that people can mention "Earthbound" and the automatic response isn't "what? Never heard of it."

• Brohoof 1

Have always liked either Spyro the Dragon(my nigga!), or Crash Banditcoot (every failure was totally hilarious, no matter how infuriating.)

Due to the fact that it was the only 2 games that I played on the original Playstation 1.(that was like 11-13 years ago of childhood, baby!)

*scoffs lightly * Yeah, Playstation has been my life...since forever.

You had that at least...you may come upon it again.

It's really crazy how the game has grown in popularity. I remember in school, I was the ONLY person I knew that had the game, or even hard of the game. I met maybe one person in high school who had played it...it really makes me happy that people can mention "Earthbound" and the automatic response isn't "what? Never heard of it."

I remember reading about Earthbound in Nintendo Power and really wanting the game, but money was more limited for us back then.  I usually didn't see a new game till around Christmas and my birthday.  I did once borrow money from my grandparents to get a game new in-the-box: Secret of Evermore.

• Brohoof 1

I basically grew up with the Sonic the Hedgehog games for the mega drive... unfortunately I had to play them on emulator, but now I do have a physical copy and still love them!

Other games... well, recently I've been playing Castlevania Bloodlines (A New Generation for PAL countries) and it really is great! It's the first castlevania game I ever played (consistently), and I still have to finish it, but it really is great. And a game I really would love to get my hands on is Chrono Trigger. I'd really love to play it sooner or later, and if I had the physical cartridge that would be wonderful :)

Is it even a surprise when I once again state: Chrono Trigger ?

I mean I love that game to death <3

For my own sake my personal definition of retro will precede the era of the PS1. Reason being is that the Spyro series already tops my list of favorite games, and I typically see that era as  the entrance to the modern era of gaming.

That said, my favorite personal retro game with be the old Sonic games; specifically Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles. I had spent so many hours of each of these games. <3

Following them would be the Castle of Illusion/Quack Shot/World of Illusion games, and maybe Virtua Racing as well.

• Brohoof 1

Where do we draw the line of 'retro'? I'll go with a list of classifications just to be safe:

Atari/NES (my idea of retro): ...Nothing, actually. I don't much like games from that era... They're either too simplistic or too hard...or both.

Pre-N64/PS1 (was there a Sega console, too? I don't know... Never had them) - Hm... Probably Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Pre-GCN/PS2/Xbox - Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Crystal, Paper Mario, etc.

If you consider anything beyond that retro, you're really starting to lose me and make me feel old. LOL.