Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Most disappointing game you have ever played?

SrFrog

I kinda like Sonic Heroes...especially Team Chaos...it wasn't absolutely easy...and it was a little intriguing for those who didn't read the (older) comics...

It wasn't bad, just worse than the rest of the series at that point, spinoffs aside.

Honestly, Skyward Sword wouldn't have been so disappointing if the game hadn't been treating me like a moron the entire time, if they'd actually given the characters background and conflicts, if they stuck some side-questy dungeons anywhere, if they had interconnected the land areas by anything at all, if they had made flight fun past the first 5 minutes, if they had more diverse and interesting enemies even with identical combat styles, if the motion plus actually worked well, if they bothered putting in any other villages, if Zelda made anything other than a brief appearance at the beginning of the game, if Ghirahim had some sort of stronghold or place of origin or army that were imposing, if any of the minigames were actually good, if any of the items were new or interesting, if their dialogue options actually changed the game, if Impa weren't a huge bitch, if there were any retribution for Groose or his friends trying to kill you and sabotage the race, if Skyloft weren't tiny...

(edited)

Every Pokemon game after Emerald! (And I've bought every. single. one. out of the main series!)

I don't care for the graphical improvements and though the gameplay was "phresh" in the first few games it really doesn't age well. I'm basically playing the same game with some more/different content and in an age of DLC it really doesn't excite me anymore than chewing gum, it's okay at first but it loses it's flavour within minutes, making it very forgettable. (Though I will be fair. Pokemon Black and White set a nice base for story and if Black-2 and White-2 are good I might hold off on disowning the Pokemon series.)

Edit: Did I say Emerald? I meant Ruby/Sapphire.

Edited by Zhinzo

Halo Reach: It couldn't compare with the other Halo games and as a huge fan of the Halo books I hated that they completely destroyed canon that was set with the books with this game.

I think they should have scraped halo reach and made halo 4 then because halo reach kinda ruins the first halo because there are all these new weapons etc. so then they had to make a remake of it.
  • Brohoof 1

I think they should have scraped halo reach and made halo 4 then because halo reach kinda ruins the first halo because there are all these new weapons etc. so then they had to make a remake of it.

And they did something unforgivable in Reach: They made the Elites look bloody ridiculous. I always loved the Elites and though they looked so darn awesome but in Reach they just looked stupid.

And they did something unforgivable in Reach: They made the Elites look bloody ridiculous. I always loved the Elites and though they looked so darn awesome but in Reach they just looked stupid.

this cutsceen really made no sense

Well for starters every halo game after combat evolved. As well I was very, very let down by 'Star Wars: The force unleashed' I rented it (thankfully) it took me about one hour to beat. The gameplay was shotty at best, the fighting you might be able to immerse in it if you hadn't played any other game. I won't start on halo because theres a lot of fans out there. I also won't pick up any game with a mech in it. Not quite sure why but I just can't.

You're right, and I'm sorry, but I just can't stand the way people treat games these days. Besides, everything I see says nothing otherwise. All I see on Gamefaqs, Kotaku, IGN, Youtube videos for games and trailers, etc. is complaint after complaint. Of every 1 user who likes something there's always 10 or more who will hate it and insult those who do like it for having "bad taste"

I'm the type who tries to respect all opinions but when it comes down to it people don't appreciate how much work is put into video games. They only see that it doesn't add up to their very particular preferences and that it sucks because it's not pandering to their every need. People allow one thing to ruin games for them no matter how good it is otherwise. Gameplay sucks but the story, voice acting and graphics are great: The game sucks balls. Gameplay is awesome but it has horrible voice acting and it's story is "childish" = the game sucks and you should be ashamed for liking it.

This is all I see day in and day out on every gaming related forum or discussion no matter where it is.

Well i'll give you something nice to think about. People often react to and mention negative things more easily than positive.

People who like a particular usually don't feel the need to tell that to everyone else who likes it too. But people who hate the game are much more likely to mention that the game is not good in. That's one of the reasons why you see more hate than appreciation.

Oh and trust me the user base of the particular sites you mentioned are full of trolls or just genuine ignorance. You shouldn't take them seriously. You should visit more fan sites for games you like. Also if you are playing on PC Steam forums have more reasonable people than i would have expected.

I just wanted to point out that Crazy Bus was a Proof-of-concept for a Genesis BASIC compiler and never released commercially and Captain Novalin wasn't really meant to be a widespread game, it was just for teaching kids about diabetes.

And there ARE terrible games today. I mean sure, there's nothing actually unplayable like there was in the NES days (looking at you, Action 52), but you can't say every piece of shovelware released to the Wii and DS and every tie-in to a movie was mediocre, much less good.

It doesn't just matter how much work goes into a game, or how nice it looks. If it's boring, broken or enragingly hard, it has failed at the point of a game. Which is something that you'd actually WANT to play. (Opinions differ depending on the game of course)

On the actual topic, I'd say Sonic Heroes really. It's mostly my fault for building it up for myself and I really loved Sonic Adventure 2. I haven't really had many other games that have disappointed me otherwise much.

I would understand someone arguing a game is average if it was something like M&M's Beach Party easily. But I truly cannot understand how something can be a bad game in any way as long as it is technologically solid. M&M's Beach Party was well programmed for the most part, though it was short and easy but still served it's purpose as a mini-game collection. As for enragingly hard....well there are games meant to be just that and I've seen it said that if a game isn't hard enough it's not good enough (more silly thinking imo) such as Demon's Souls or Ikaruga or Ninja Gaiden which are made to be hard and people think all games should be like that.

There are games these days that were not programmed correctly and thus mess up the gaming process through glitches, this is true, but those games are far inbetween and you'll be far less likely to find them these days than back in the early 90's.

Like I said: I can understand a game not being a part of one's preferences, but it's when people treat a game that's not a part of their preferences as crap because it's not for them and thus insulting those who like it in various ways when I get riled up.

Well i'll give you something nice to think about. People often react to and mention negative things more easily than positive.

People who like a particular usually don't feel the need to tell that to everyone else who likes it too. But people who hate the game are much more likely to mention that the game is not good in. That's one of the reasons why you see more hate than appreciation.

Oh and trust me the user base of the particular sites you mentioned are full of trolls or just genuine ignorance. You shouldn't take them seriously. You should visit more fan sites for games you like. Also if you are playing on PC Steam forums have more reasonable people than i would have expected.

I probably spend too much time on sites like that. As you can see, it's what started this whole thing in the first place. I'm not around enough reasonable people who know that a game that doesn't pander to them specifically doesn't automatically make a game horrible. Remember how I was talking about forums making jaded gamers? In a way I've become that, not in the sense that I've become the type of person who stops liking games but in the sense that I get too caught up in the drama of forums. I almost feel like I have to white-knight every game people hate just to prove to the masses that there is someone out there who likes a game and isn't afraid to be vocal about it. I like the Sonic series, every bit of it, even Sonic 06. I like Star Ocean 4 and Duke Nukem Forever.

There are points where I will admit a game is horrible, like Sonic 06, but only because it was not programmed correctly. I liked every other aspect of the game besides it's mega-glitchiness and bad load times and I find it perfectly valid to like these things. But every other game I will not ever say that for as long as there is no programming flaws.

I admit, I get riled up when I'm on forums. One of my flaws is that I can't stand to see people put something down so much that no one will even give it a chance themselves because "I heard it was crap"

Timeshift: It's all "Hey, you've got a suit that can alter time!", and you're all "That sounds fun for a FPS!"

NO.

The game is friggen boring, and the mud and dirt look like plastic.

Fable 2 was kinda blah. Fable 3 was worse, though. God, I'm not even going to discuss it, it was so bad.

Pokemon B/W

Seriously? An ice cream pokemon? (Ironically, it was the only american designed one). Timburr and Gurrdurr were friggen ugly. Ducklet was lame. A lot of the new pokemon were lame.

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this, but Skyrim.

You dont deserve getting shit for it. Its hard to live up to Morrowind. I do play and love the everliving shit out of Skyrim however.

• Brohoof 2

I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this, but Skyrim.

I agree to an extent, it got kinda old fast for me. I liked Oblivion more. :3