Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Who else was pleasantly suprised by the premiere?

SolyWack

Tried to keep the title spoiler free, as the premiere is still fresh as a ripe apple,

To be honest, I thought they were really going to push the "All Powerful Baby" trope in the premiere, and that's not awful. Fairly Odd Parents did it okay. But I think DHX can do a lot better, and they did. They used the baby to set up the problem (the snow storm), then quietly pushed Flurry Heart back so the snowstorm was the problem.

What I'm most pleased about is what they did with Starlight Glimmer. I thought she was gonna be a side thing, but she was very much a major part of the story. They left it very open at the end of S5, so I'm very pleased with how they continued it. A lot of people did not like Starlight and/or her reformation. I think this will solve a lot of that.

Sunburst was there, and he turned out to be a college dropout, which made a pretty sweet emotional scene in the house. The emotional scenes are my very favorite part of the show.

Lastly, Spike did stuff. Stuff that didn't make me want to cut my wrist at how terribly stupid, nonsensical, or cringy he was. Spike is a really cool character when he wants to (e.g. Equestria Girls), and I love it when that comes out.

And IMO, Skyla is a way better name than Flurry Heart.

So that's me. Was anyone happy with how they handled the premiere? Or maybe you didn't like something? Was it worse than you thought? (I hope not)

Edited by AppleJack_Wack
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not even surprised. I never expected the episode to be as bad as Fairly Odd Baby for several reasons. I like how the premiere handled everything and I'm excited to see more episodes. Good job on not screwing up, Josh Haber.

• Brohoof 1

I was pretty surprised that Celestia knew Sunburst! well my headcannon was confirmed so I'm good. Other surprises that I got me were there was no antagonists but rather a pony vs nature kind of conflict. 

I always set my expectations low for any premire or episode in order so that I cannot be disappointed of an episode failing to meet expectations but to be surprised by what an episode does right and see if it can contrast with the rest. The season 6 premiere was a pleasant surprise for me.

I'm glad they nerfed it. So, the contrivance of the OP baby will only be contained to the opener. Spike was written very well, and Tia and Luna did something. Sunburst was interesting, and I kind of liked him. I was disappointed that the S5 finale is going to be the extent of Starlight's redemption. In all, there were goods and bads.

Hopefully gong forward, Spike remains in this "assistant teacher" kind of role. And hopefully they don't do anything like "the spell is wearing off! princess alert!" for easy plots.

I'm still nervous at the lack of the old writers tho.

• Brohoof 1

I liked it, especially how Starlight wasn't just pushed as a side character and had an actual impact on the story. That, and all the cute close-ups of her was great. I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't a song, but hey the episode was jammed packed of action and events though, so there's that.

• Brohoof 4

Lastly, Spike did stuff. Stuff that didn't make me want to cut my wrist at how terribly stupid, nonsensical, or cringy he was. Spike is a really cool character when he wants to (e.g. Equestria Girls), and I love it when that comes out.

I know, right? If we get a Spike-centered episode with THIS Spike then it will be a golden one. It's not that Spike needs to never make any mistakes. Just that he needs that consistency and character progression we've been shown.  :wub:

I like how the premiere handled everything and I'm excited to see more episodes.

While I don't think this was the best opener possible, it defintely ranks as a solid one and a good watch. They did well and I'm also hyped for episodes to come.   ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I ended up rather liking the episode.

While I don't love the episode, I found it be rather good.

I was pleasantly surprised with how Spike was portrayed in the premiere, and how Starlight Glimmer didn't go through a rehash of Rainbow Rocks and actually warmed up to me somewhat.

I was.

I didn't expect much out of Starlight, Sunburst or McFlurry

Thankfully Starlight went better than expecting and I loved Sunburst. He may even become one of my top 10 favorites. McFlurry was bad as expected though I was happy they nerfed her in the end

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

I was pleasantly surprised, but that's not saying much. After Friendship games, I was expecting an absolutely horrible episode from Haber.
Instead, I got a Medicore episode that wasn't a trainwreck. Was I happily surprised? Yeah, I was in the same way that you're happy when you find out that your car will only cost a couple hundred bucks instead of a thousand to fix. But was I really HAPPY with the premier? No.

The premier was firmly Mediocre "meh" tier, and massively inferior to every Season premier except S3's premier: S4 and S4's Premier's BTFO out of this one, and its really just "meh."

Like, Haber, you can do filler in the middle of the season. but this is a TWO PARTER. I expect TOP QUALITY for these things, these are the "big" episodes. This was absolutely nothing to write home about.

I'll be honest, I was pretty close to knocking this episode before I saw it, but what mainly did it for me was how genuine the interactions between Starlight and Sunburst were. I like the message of how honesty and confidence really is the best thing for a friendship. It truly tests how strong your relationship with another person is.

• Brohoof 1