music Best Video Game Soundtracks

Discordian

Super mario 64 had some amazing song in that game and if you ever played it you know exactly what I mean by that. Just listen to this! 

The legend of zelda games particularly the ocarina of time had some memorable tunes in them too.

Another one I will mention is Pokemon Red & Blue. 

Check that out!

Metal Gear Solid 3 has an amazing soundtrack. It ranges from action to idle to saddening. I am completely in love with the music in MGS3. Here's an example of faced paced.

Team Fortress 2 also has great music. The Art of War is probably my most favorite one.....

....next to the Mann vs. Machine one.

And here's another one for the heck of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SeIuG0F4Vc

I swear i've posted in at least 3 of these threads. Well, anyways, my avatar kind of speaks for itself. The Ace Attorney series has one of the most awesome soundtracks i've heard. Personally i think the third game has the best soundtrack. Here's some examples:

• Brohoof 2

Final Fantasy IX, easily.  I absolutely love everything about that game, and the music is a big part of it for me.  Such a stunning and moving soundtrack.  It evokes such amazing memories every time I hear a track from the game.

I'm actually very excited, because I'm going to an Anime convention soon that Nobuo Uematsu (composer for the FF series) is going to be at, and I'm going to have him sign my copy of Final Fantasy IX.  SO excited.

My favorite song from God Hand is Broncobuster, it gets you in that ass kicking mood

Seriously, I'm so glad I found this game, if anyone still has a PS2 or PS3, get this game, the gameplay and soundtrack is awesome

• Brohoof 1

My favorite song from God Hand is Broncobuster, it gets you in that ass kicking mood

Seriously, I'm so glad I found this game, if anyone still has a PS2 or PS3, get this game, the gameplay and soundtrack is awesome

OH GOD!!! How could I forget about Godhand!!! This game is truly a fun game. I cannot believe I forgot about it. I'm going to be kicking myself for a while now.

I swear i've posted in at least 3 of these threads. Well, anyways, my avatar kind of speaks for itself. The Ace Attorney series has one of the most awesome soundtracks i've heard. Personally i think the third game has the best soundtrack. Here's some examples:

I believe you forgot

I love all of the music in Pokemon Red/Blue rescue team especially this

Everytime I hear it I need to play PDM again

• Brohoof 1

Omigosh, I completely forgot. Has anyone here played Maplestory? That game's soundtrack was (and is) sensational. I sometimes spend evenings listening through all of the different ones, accumulating feels.

Omigosh, the Eos Tower music.

The Slime Tree music!  :wub: 

Mother 3 hands down is MY favorite soundtrack. (Hmmm..or Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam..) Its so characteristic. The songs stand out and there very memorable! There catchy, creative, and sometimes EPIC!!

Old shool Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Sonic & Knuckles! Nothing beats those tracks. Could be cuz Im a huge Sonic nerd for the old gens I listed.

I love old school Sonic music.  The ending from Sonic 2 was so magical to me as a kid.  It was the first game I ever beat, and that song over the whole ending sequence made the whole experience incredibly memorable.  Plus, I think it helped solidify how important music in games would become to me.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking pack at my PS2 games, and I almost forgot about Odin Sphere, which has a very pretty soundtrack. This song inparticular feels like something out of Harry Potter or a Disney movies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxnT9rDBe7g

Other good tracks include this and this

EDIT:

Since I was talking about God Hand earlier, I'll go ahead and throw Devil May Sly in as well, didn't want to forget about that song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5lqJdak2I

Edited by Megas75

My favorite video game soundtrack has to be Simple and Clean from the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qN0qIOaLw

I Listen to it once; Stuck in my head all week.

Not sure if I posted on this thread already, but i'm still gonna post xD

Heres the list of my favorite game soundtacks.

StarFox Adventures

Banjo Kazooie and Tooie

StarFox Assault

Paper Mario- all 3 games

Neopets the Darkest Faerie

Spyro the dragon-first 3 classic ones

Little Big Planet-Though half of the songs arrived from other artists

Alice-Madness Returns

Sly Cooper-All 4 games

Kirby Air ride

Sonic Adventure 2 battle

I love most the games you listed( But never played Alice- Madness Returns though, Not much of a fan of horror games. However I love the soundtrack "Flying on the Wings of Steam"). I do agree with you on their awesome soundtracks! (though some of the games I never heard of.)

Edited by TequitoClown
  • Brohoof 2

I think I'll do my top three soundtracks, because I can. (Treating 'em as a whole game.)

1) Maplestory

This soundtrack is incredible. It fits the game perfectly - it's an MMORPG that's bright, cheerful and doesn't throw you into ambience often, so almost all the soundtracks have beat, and all have depth. What I think is genius is how the BGMs correspond to how far away on your adventures you've gone, and will make wherever you are seem like the greatest trip ever.

My favourite example is this BGM. It plays in a toy-based town called Ludibrium, which is a town made out of Lego (yes, that's right). The first soundtracks you hear of the place are fanfare-like, waltz-based and with a good-spirited yet progression-based tone to it. Then you go to Eos Tower, which is 100 storeys high, and it's still continuing that vibe, but once you go outside... this plays.

This is, in one soundtrack, a breath of fresh air, a fantastic piece and a signal that this isn't just some town full of toys - it's got grand scale and it's a great adventure. It makes you feel on top of the world - literally. I just can't stop smiling at how talented the composers were at Wizet.

2) Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Sky

Like Maplestory, this game knows how to make a soundtrack - your first dungeons in the game are ambient yet reasonably light-hearted jingles, and they set a friendly tone. You'll start progressing through the game thinking it'll follow in the same vibe, and then when the game drops you through the most unexpected plot twist, the soundtrack makes it a hundred times better. It knows about story progression's influence on the BGMs - the final dungeons of the game, being the hardest and being the climax of a hard, heart-wrenching and completely epic journey, have the most epic music of any game that I've ever played on a Nintendo platform.

It's reliant on context, but I'll throw in Temporal Tower. It just screams "this is it". It screams "you've come so far, and this is your final trial".

3) Ace Attorney

For a soundtrack starting on the GBA, this soundtrack can compare with most games spawning orchestras nowadays. Ace Attorney is one of the most plot-based games out there. The trials that you go through (courtroom trials... and actual trials) contain so much character development and relationships to really make you feel attached to them, so as mysteries unwind in and out of the courtroom, the soundtrack needs to be exceptional. And it is. It captures the desire of your protagonist, Phoenix Wright, to bring justice for their client and save them from a guilty sentence - and bring down the villain. Context applying, this is a soundtrack you'd be hard-pressed to forget.

Here's my favourite example. This song plays when you've solved the final case of the game:

The final case was the hardest, and the darkest, case of the game - a seemingly unstoppable villain, a huge amount of work, and emotions pulsing, but everything ended up okay - and this song is testament to the exhausted happiness. I love it.