Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Best Video Game Soundtracks

Discordian

One does not simply ask me that question.

Obviously, my choice is obvious:

Have fun listening to it. That is by far one of my favourite games of ever...

The soundtrack is so atmospheric, without it, the game could never be the same.

• Brohoof 7

I enjoy a lot of meta man soundtracks, but a personal favorite would be Crisis 2 - Insertion. It is such a suspenseful song, and keeps you on the edge of your seat wanting to know what is about to happen (in game).  And it was a big game saver

Edited by Retro_Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

I prefer Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2. The Temporal Tower music complements the tone of the story well. So does Primal Dialga's battle, and the Song I Don't want to say goodbye (English Translation.) when your player character disappears.

• Brohoof 6

MX vs. ATV REFLEX soundtracks :D why? I dunno...probably because I love this type of music :P AWESOMENESS LEVEL OVER 9000!!! I doubt any game will have better soundtracks than this one for quite some time :P

While I didn't think the game itself was as great as the vast majority of those who play it think (It was decent enough) the soundtrack to Modern Warfare 2 was really great (Hans Zimmer!!)

This is my favourite track from it: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7cjfcuKgk

And this track was great too:

Edited by Ion
  • Brohoof 3

Every Sonic the Hedgehog soundtrack.  :P

The Castelvania games stand out too, in my opinion. Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood are my favorites.  :wub:

F-Zero, Metroid Prime 2, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Ghen War (Google it) are also my favorites.  :)

• Brohoof 2

The professor layton games soundtracks (yes all of them) 

and one I think i'll list it here anyway since it has to do with a game, it's just that all the songs written for it are original pieces. and the lyricists did use  things that happened in the game  in the lyrics. Turnabout Musical: phoenix wright musical project. 

- Pokemon

- mario brothers

-  certain final fantasy songs (eyes on me, julia, waltz of the moon, one winged angel)  

• Brohoof 1

No TF2? It has some of the most epic music in video game history.

My favourites are the music from Meet the Sniper (Actually a slightly modified theme from Magnum Force), Rocket Jump Waltz (which isn't actually a waltz) and Meet the Pyro music. Yes, even The Loving Spoonful.

Half-Life 2 had some really good stuff, and my all time favourite: Still Alive from Portal.

• Brohoof 5

*Sigh* I'm sorry to say, but when it comes to video game soundtracks, All of the Elder Scrolls soundtracks, composed by Jeremy Soule, utterly destroy the competition. Soule composes the most relaxing, peaceful, ambient music I have ever heard. I guarantee you that if you play any score from the Elder Scrolls (save for the battle songs) while you're in bed, it will put you into a serene sleep, and give you some good dreams. Here are two of my favorite pieces from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuFXhcUz06s

He also has his signature song, which is in every TES game from Morrowind to Skyrim. It is the same song, but tweaked a little in every game. I suggest you look it up. It's called "Over The Next Hill" in Morrowind, "Through The Valleys" in Oblivion, and "The Jerall Mountains" in Skyrim. Excellent song, has an almost mystical quality to it.

Edited by Modphase
  • Brohoof 2

Bastion probably has my favorite game soundtrack of all time.  Not only does it sound amazing outside the context of the game, but the album itself is incredibly well put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGEiER7mkc

But. of course, what discussion of game music would be complete without the Ace Attorney games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3asDFaz98

• Brohoof 4

Obviously the Zelda soundtracks are great. They were the sounds of my childhood.

I'm currently quite partial to Midna's Lament.

(This is probably cuz I finally learned it on piano...)

And the entire soundtrack to Grim Fandango is simply...wow. Very much overlooked. I've learned this song on my trumpet, and it was probably in my top ones from the game, so here it is.

I love this style of music. <3

Here's the entire GF soundtrack. PLAY THE GAME!

Edited by Nicolas Cage
  • Brohoof 2

What's this? A Video Game Music thread without Persona mentioned? I shall fix this!

As for favorites, I have a few more, and this is going to be hefty, since I love game music so damn much

Edited by Megas75

I am quite fond of the skyrim and halo sound track,

i have all the syrim songs on my hard drive and i sometimes listen when not playing skyrim as they are nice and ambient other than that i cant think of any, some games have good individual songs but not a full soundtrack

I think mostly old titles on the Super Nintendo are the ones that stand out to this day. Mainly because the creators of those games HAD to have good soundtracks, it was a full-on game feature back then, not just something to set the mood (even though it still does that).

In example:

Both of those are in my song media playlist :P

Also

gets an honorable mention from me.

the sloprano from conker's bad fur day because what is more epic, awkward or more distubingly hilarious than an opera sung by a giant shit monster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vdd4rBlsj2o

Great Mighty Poo:

Ahem-hem. Mi mi mi mi miiiii ...

I am the Great Mighty Poo

and I'm going to throw my shit at you.

A huge supply of tish comes from my chocolate starfish.

How about some scat, you little twat?

Great Mighty Poo:

Do you really think you'll survive in here?

You don't seem to know which creek you're in.

Sweet corn is the only thing that makes it through my rear.

How d'you think I keep this lovely grin?

(Have some more caviar!)

Great Mighty Poo:

Now I'm really getting rather mad.

You're like a niggly tiggly shitty little tag-nut.

When I knock you out with all my bab,

I'm going to take your head and ram it up my butt!

Conker: Your butt?

Great Mighty Poo: My butt!

Conker: Your butt?!

Great Mighty Poo: That's right, my butt!

Conker: Err ...!

Great Mighty Poo: My butt!

Conker: Agh!

Great Mighty Poo: My Buuuuuuuuutt!

Great Mighty Poo: Ah! You cursed squirrel! Look what you've done! I'm flushing! I'm flushing! Oh, what a world, what a world! Who'd have thought a good little squirrel like you could destroy my beautiful clagginess! Ah! I'm going! Oh! Ahh! No! Aaaaaaah!

Conker: Huh huh! Now that's what I call a bowel movement!

• Brohoof 3

Every Sonic the Hedgehog soundtrack.  :P

http://sthgg.kngi.org'>Relevant to your interests?

My favorite game OSTs would probably be Sonic 3 & Knuckles (kind of biased toward that, being my favorite game of all time), Final Fantasy X, and Kingdom Hearts 2.

Deus Ex HR is a fantastic pick, and the Elder Scrolls series is kind of obligatory for a thread like this. Jeremy Soule also composed for the Guild Wars series, and he even did an OC ReMix of "Terra" from Final Fantasy VI.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely either Earthbound or Mother 3.

Instead of providing an explanation, I'll just give some examples.

Earthbound:

Mother 3:

Edited by Night Shine