Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Hasbro?

Lockheed

Hi Everypony

I came to the forums as a part of research I did for a paper. It is already a year ago and I just happened to stay here in the forums when my research ended :P Besides being a Brony, I am currently writing my master thesis where I want to study the relationship between fans and the producers of the media object (My Little Pony/Hasbro). Being a fan of various media myself I  couldn't help think that the fans' passion and enthusiasm were sometimes just taken advantage of rather than praised and celebrated.

But I want to hear it from you guys. Do you ilke how Hasbro behaves towards the community? How much do you think that Hasbro/the creative team should acknowledge and communicate with the brony community?

What would you like to see from Hasbro/the creative team in the future? Should they be more involved in what happens in the forums?

GO! :D

Edited by Lockheed

I don't think they're as evil as some bronies make them out to be. They aren't the best(definitely not), but normally they're a lot better with handling fans/fan-content than some fans believe, compared to most other companies

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

Hasbro isn't a entitiy that interacts with the fandom unless they want to take down fan projects or want more toy money. So overall they are kinda bad, I would love to see this changed but to be honest that will never happen

I can already see this turning into a mindless hasbro bashing thread.

For me, they're okay. :P

• Brohoof 3

Where I'm not a fan of what Hasbro has done in terms of C&D's and things such as redubbing that Derpy scene, they are becoming increasingly friendly towards the fandom. A good example of this was that episode entirely made of fan service.

Overall, I'm quite fond of Hasbro.  Over the years, they've become more accepting of the fandom which has sprung up around MLP, have been making some effort to produce higher quality toys and other products, and have even started marketing those products to everyone regardless of gender.  Spoken another way, they know about the diversity of their customer base and are marketing accordingly.  But in a benign way. ;)

Of course, there is the whole C&D issue, but to the best of my knowledge, that hasn't happened very many times, so Hasbro is fine by me.

Well, I hold them in high esteem, if only because they elevated the art of toy-selling into something more story-focused, which is why they've managed to survive to this day, imo. And while they have done some shady shiz in the past (and really, what company HASN'T?) They're alright in my book, if only because they treat their fans with a certain degree of respect that most companies don't.

As far as i understand the situations, Hasbro either shuts down Projects, because some Bronies want to make Money, by using the popularity of Mlp, without any permission, what so ever or Hasbro shuts down Projects, which are just plain disturbing, as some shitty Pinkamena Videos or Animations by Mister Davey.

Even though the Situation with Mister Davey got apparently solved.

Either way, i fully support Hasbro in their doings and decisions.

You are not allowed to make Money, using someone elses property and making disgusting parodys, that probably children could watch, is a pretty bad thing to, since it ads literally nothing to the Show, what so ever and is pretty much pointless.

Youre just doing it for the shock factor and the quick attention and views, that this kind of Videos give you, which in turn, allows your Channel to get more attention and you could theoretically use this attention to make money out of it, which again is illegal, since your using someone elses property.

Im not saying Hasbro is always right, but the SItuations i witnessed so far, were pretty understandable for me. Just saying.

I like how Hasbro is very laid-back when it comes to managing the show. yes, they mandate certain things but beyond that the creative team is free to act upon that as they wish. The only times I can see where their involvement went 'wrong' is in forcing the love interest into EQG, and wanting the battle of the bands to feature magic in RR, which created a massive plothole.

As for their attitude to the fans, well, I don't know. I haven't tried to get in touch with them and I have no problems with the way they handle things. Even the controversy surrounding a little girl's letter they apparently shredded doesn't bother me much, considering it's a company who have to take such matters or risk being accused of plagiarism if they were to somehow act on a fan's suggestion. By openly stating they destroy such suggestions and letters they save themselves a lot of legal hassle.

Lastly, about acknowledging us...they pretty much gave the brony community their own episode with Slice of Life. They didn't have to do that, and I think they're awesome for doing it.

They made FIM and Transformers. Besides the god awful Michael Bay films, they are in my good books. That is until Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber make guest appearances on the show as overrated pony singers. Don't do that Hasbro. And please stop making Equestria Girls movies. The show is fine as it is and doesn't need an excuse for girls to buy more of your products.

I am of mixed opinion on them, as a company they are much more lenient and reasonable in regard to fanworks than many companies are and haven't done anything corrupt that I am aware of like many other companies are. They get criticized for shutting down certain high profile fan projects and I can understand the frustration but believe that the law itself seems to be more to blame than them. This however dosen't mean that Hasbro hasn't made the occasional bone headed move that has warranted criticism, twilicorn which was very poorly done was clearly and executive decision rather than a creative one and was poorly implemented though it thankfully didn't become a jump the shark moment thanks to the show staff.

They made FIM and Transformers. Besides the god awful Michael Bay films, they are in my good books. That is until Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber make guest appearances on the show as overrated pony singers. Don't do that Hasbro. And please stop making Equestria Girls movies. The show is fine as it is and doesn't need an excuse for girls to buy more of your products.

EQUESTRIA GIRLS ARE A GOOD SERIES. The only people who wouldn't like the films would be g1-g3 bronies, and furries

EQUESTRIA GIRLS ARE A GOOD SERIES. The only people who wouldn't like the films would be g1-g3 bronies, and furries

Cool, if that's your opinion. G4 Brony here, I am not a fan of Equestria Girls. The best thing it did was Sunset Shimmer, who has basically been replaced by Starlight Glimmer for the show. Now they are pointlessly continuing the Equestria Girls movies, when really there isn't any need to do so when all the characters are perfectly fine to be left where they are.

the best thing would be if they made sunset shimmer canon(hopefully in the movie they make her canon)

But she is canon? Equestria Girls is also canon and co-exists with the show, but in another universe.

I don't feel strongly about Hasbro one way or the other.  Outside of wanting them to produce more show-accurate G4 toys...  I don't really care how or if they interact with the fandom.  And it's probably best if they listen to Bronies as little as possible concerning the show itself.

I don't feel really strongly one way or another about Hasbro.

Also I am pretty sure that it isn't the worst company when it comes to regarding copyrights and cease and desists.

Just look at what companies like Viacom do.

We could have it a lot worse than how Hasbro treat this fanbase.

Hasbro ignores Fair Use and continuously puts copyright claims on videos that have a right to exist. I think they're taking advantage of fan works, which is beneficial for them, a big company.