Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Harriet Tubman to Be the New Face of the 20 Dollar Bill

Jaxsie (Inactive)

The United States Treasury has announced that Harriet Tubman will be the new face of the 20 dollar bill (1, 2). Some sources say that Andrew Jackson (who is currently on the bill) will be on the back of the 20 dollar bill -- while others say he will be relocated to the 10 dollar bill. Time will tell which is true, as the official designs will be unveiled by 2020 and in people's hands by 2030.

This is what it may look like:

20-dollar-bill-transfer-transferframe198

So, what are all of your thoughts on this news?

(Please refrain from spinning this topic into a debate.)

• Brohoof 4

F--k Andrew Jackson. That bastard violated the constitutional rights of the Native Americans and sent them onto the trail of tears, all while spitting in the face of the supreme courts. Keep him off any and all currency. I support this move. I don't care who else. Put George W. Bush on there for all I care. Just not him. 

• Brohoof 7

Jackson was a swine, so if anyone gets the boot, it should be him. I have no objection to Harriet Tubman replacing him.

What I'm wondering is why they originally wanted to replace Hamilton on the $10 rather than Jackson on the $20.

Edited by Slime Mold
  • Brohoof 5

I'm pleased with it being the $20 and Andrew Jackson, as they originally were going to replace Hamilton (!) Which made zero sense, considering he was, I don't know, first Secretary of the Treasury! That would have made me a little pissed to be honest.

I like their plan for new portraiture on the back, plus keeping Jackson on the back if the twenty is fine too.

Harriet Tubman is a very good choice for first woman to be main bill portrait.

• Brohoof 2

Good. Jackson doesn't deserve to be on our currency. A real American hero like Tubman, who is representative of a monumental advancement in human rights (the abolition of slavery), is a much more worthy candidate.

• Brohoof 5

This is a terrible idea, the design looks awful, the face is emphasized to the point where it seems to leap out at you and scream "HEY, EVERYONE, LOOK! THIS IS MODERN AMERICA! WE LOVE OUR BLACKS! WE LOVE THEM SO, SO MUCH! WE ARE STILL GOOD, EVEN THOUGH MANY OF US ARE WHITE! SEE? SEE? WE EVEN PUT THIS ONE GUY'S FACE ON THE DOLLAR BILL! PLEASE STOP TRASHING OUR STORES!" while crying.

Good. Jackson doesn't deserve to be on our currency. A real American hero like Tubman, who is representative of a monumental advancement in human rights (the abolition of slavery), is a much more worthy candidate.

I thought one of the presidents did that? Also, wasn't Jackson a war guy that saved America or something?

They just unveiled it at the wrong time. I think it's a great idea, but a lot of people seem to not welcome change anymore. Most of it has been for the worst.

I think Harriet Tubman should rather have a museum about the history of the Underground Railroad. :catface:

This is a terrible idea, the design looks awful,

that design looks awful. 

Just so you know, that's not the real design. It's a mockup made in MS Paint or something. The official design won't be revealed for awhile.

I thought one of the presidents did that? Also, wasn't Jackson a war guy that saved America or something?

By "that", do you mean the abolition of slavery? Well, it took the combined efforts of millions of people for that to happen. What I meant was that Harriet Tubman is one of the most famous symbols of that movement.

Jackson was a very controversial president. One of the examples of his terrible policies includes the Trail of Tears

• Brohoof 2

Just so you know, that's not the real design. It's a mockup made in MS Paint or something. The official design won't be revealed for awhile.

By "that", do you mean the abolition of slavery? Well, it took the combined efforts of millions of people for that to happen. What I meant was that Harriet Tubman is one of the most famous symbols of that movement.

Jackson was a very controversial president. One of the examples of his terrible policies includes the Trail of Tears

Oh no he did a wrong!

I can direct you to someone that can name over thirty things Obama did that are way worse than this. Judging someone from an old era by modern ultra-sensitive standards is a pretty easy way to demonize anyone. Don't get me wrong, forcing a bunch of people to relocate and making some die along the way with his Death Note sounds pretty horrible, but Obama did worse things and I don't see anyone trying to get him removed from dollar bills.

Also, why is it always something slavery-related with these things? Why not a scientist, or a scholar, or someone that did pretty much anything non-slavery-related?

• Brohoof 1

The guy responsible for the Trail of Tears being replaced by the women who was an inspiration for both women and blacks not to mention she helped with the advancement of abolishion

I like this

• Brohoof 8

Judging someone from an old era by modern ultra-sensitive standards is a pretty easy way to demonize anyone.

I actually agree with what you mean here. George Washington owned slaves. Does that mean he deserves to be kicked off our currency? Nope. While slavery is obviously wrong, for his time George Washington was an innovator who helped pioneer America into the thriving country it is today. He was a historically revolutionary figure. It isn't completely fair to judge him and others back then to today's standards. His presidency helped progress us along as a country.

Jackson on the other hand, was a failed president who did more harm than good.

Also, why is it always something slavery-related with these things? Why not a scientist, or a scholar, or someone that did pretty much anything non-slavery-related?

Because slavery was an extremely controversial practice and pivotal point in the history of America. It literally divided the nation, causing a bloody civil war between two sides of the country.

but Obama did worse things and I don't see anyone trying to get him removed from dollar bills.

Obama is on our dollar bills?

• Brohoof 10

I totally forgot about the whole Trail of Tears thing (did American History back in 2011-2012). 

I'm not against this in any way, but I'm kinda iffy on this because I have known the current $20 as long as I can remember. It's not an immediate change, but some people don't like to subject to change. It's not like the bills that are currently in circulation will be removed once the new ones are put out right? There are still $2 bills out there, and my dad manages to get them at the bank.

(After googling "2 dollar bill", there are multiple news articles talking about how Harriet Tubman would be better on this bill instead of $20, which would mean kicking off Thomas Jefferson, a founding father of this nation.) 

• Brohoof 1

This is a terrible idea, the design looks awful,

It is just a mock up, the final design won't look like that.

"HEY, EVERYONE, LOOK! THIS IS MODERN AMERICA! WE LOVE OUR BLACKS! WE LOVE THEM SO, SO MUCH! WE ARE STILL GOOD, EVEN THOUGH MANY OF US ARE WHITE! SEE? SEE? WE EVEN PUT THIS ONE GUY'S FACE ON THE DOLLAR BILL! PLEASE STOP TRASHING OUR STORES!" while crying.

Or maybe we are recognizing American heroes.

Oh no he did a wrong!   I can direct you to someone that can name over thirty things Obama did that are way worse than this. Judging someone from an old era by modern ultra-sensitive standards is a pretty easy way to demonize anyone. Don't get me wrong, forcing a bunch of people to relocate and making some die along the way with his Death Note sounds pretty horrible, but Obama did worse things and I don't see anyone trying to get him removed from dollar bills.

Andrew Jackson told the supreme court to piss off which is a violation of how our country's constitutional law system works. It's simply un-American to do that. He forced thousands of people to walk to their death and when they arrived they were treated like second class citizens from the land that they founded. I can assure you that Obama has done nothing even remotely close to this in terms of how horrible it is. What Andrew Jackson did was simply un-American and went against what this country stands for.

Harriet Tubman is a far bigger patriot because Tubman despite being a slave believed in the American system and fled slaves to the north where she fought to end slavery. Tubman never advocated for the death of the white men who enslaved her, she put her faith in America to fix the problem. She was a true American hero that didn't put the blood of others on her hand over politics. She is far more deserving to receive this honor than Andrew Jackson.

Ben Franklin was a scientist.

I wonder how many would flip poop if Jesus was on all the currency. He did the most good of all.

Except you know... The millions who were brutally murdered in the holy wars in the name of his father by his followers and thousands of years of religious discrimination. If you ignore all of that, sure.

Just knowing about the Trail of Tears is enough to make me happy to see Jackson's face booted to the side. Not even sure why he is on that bill to begin with.

I think it was because of the Battle of New Orleans (the war was already over by the way.) And being one of the last presidents to have a balanced budget without any national debt.

Jackson sucks, this bill does too

When I look at it, my face turns blue

Just like the Photoshop that was used.

Ok now that thats out of hte way, I hope the real design is better. Otherwise I have no issues

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1