Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Celestia gets the shaft

Swifty

This link says it all.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/03/equestria-daily-interviews-mlp-season-6.html#comment-2638472194

Just scroll up for entire conversation in the comments section. It's pretty obvious that Renly won't get an answer from Big Jim. Why can't the staff just admit that they play favorites?

At least you know how things stand. There will be no time for Celestia to shine and this probably forever. It's disappointing, but it's better than to wait for something in vain.

Do you think we get more character development for Cadance? I heard that McCarthy likes her, but i'm not really sure about that.

Edited by Swifty
  • Brohoof 1

Now now, Celestia could be giving time to shine on her own which we desperately need sometime soon. I don't currently know if we will get more character development for Cadence but I'd like some.

The staff playing favorites would be pointless if they were to only write episodes about their "favorites." They just like a character or like writing about them, nothing more nothing less.

Considering that Jim Miller is not the only writer, nor is he the head runner for the show, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I respect the choices of the writing staff, but my perpetual headcannon  is that Celestia has been literally stoned for the entire show. 

Someday I'm going to write out an essay explaining this, but her minor role - despite being a millennium-old demigod of the sun - permits very little dialogue....but a very distinct image. She is the mother of the show. She knows what needs to be done. And she knows what is going on. Hence, to the younger demographic, she is the mother.  

But that also means she is chill.......chill as a cucumber.....nice, soothing voice, up-beat attitude.....

I think she is toking up in her spare time. That's the secret. That's why she is so seemingly incompetent at times. She's flipping high!

xD

I call her "Brolestia." 

Favorite pony by far.

I think the fans are asking too much. Just let her be the laid-back mother, man.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Considering that Jim Miller is not the only writer, nor is he the head runner for the show, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

He is not the head runner? I thought he would be in the same position as McCarthy was.

So much love for his favorites like Discord, AJ and Rarity since season five cant be just coincidence?

By the way, you all didn't just read the interview, right? The comments are the interesting things. The reason why Celestia gets nothing is that she is like a Superman model. Someone called Big Jim out for this nonsensical reason in a civil manner and Big Jim was never to be seen again.

Since so many people here are so unconcerned about this, it might be true that he hasn't that much influence, which i doubt.

Or maybe, you know, this indifference is just because of Celestia. Like: I don't care. GIMME MORE LUNA!!1 :derp:

Edited by Swifty

I think him saying that he wants to give her a killer episode is commendable but some of his logic is a bit flawed. But he didnt say that he or none of the other writes made a celestia episode (he denied that there would be a dragon episode). SO i think hoping for a celestia episode isnt foolish

By the way, you all didn't just read the interview, right? The comments are the interesting things. The reason why Celestia gets nothing is that she is like a Superman model. Someone called Big Jim out for this nonsensical reason in a civil manner and Big Jim was never to be seen again.

I disagree with that sentiment and furthermore I hate how Superman gets treated like he is OP all the time when he isn't. People don't understand the character.

With how much the characters obsessed over Celestia in the first two seasons, I don't have much of an issue with this. 

Yet we had little to no development or knowledge on what her actual character is or anything to bond with her really.

Compared to other characters on the show, Celestia is woefully underdeveloped as she's pretty much this supposed powerful demigoddess that gets her flank kicked by any new villain of the week as the designated jobber. There comes a point where frankly they need to just at least give some character to Celestia and not rely on this tarnished image of her being this wonderful ruler to carry her through the show because it's gotten to the point where she's literally nothing more than a prop to be used as there's no character or anything to her for anyone to really bond with her or like her outside of headcanons or liberties to her.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 5

"Superman syndrome"? That depends on the story and medium because a character is only as strong as the story needs. There's too much history behind Superman's comic book background since he's been around for almost 80 years, so he may have been "overpowered" (depending on how one defines "overpowered") at some point, but most adaptations weaken him so his problems won't be so easily solved. This is sort of what the show does with the alicorns since they don't seem ridiculously powerful as well, so making problems for non-Twilight alicorns to solve shouldn't be that difficult.

I can only guess what happens behind the scenes, but it still a shame that Celestia has been ignored for so long. I've pretty much given up on the possibility for this reason.

She needs a good episode, desperately. 

I've been always thinking about how many times Celestia could've been handled better in previous episodes but at this point, I'm not sure what the heck the writers think of her exactly.  The 'Superman Syndrome' ? I feel Celestia is not even remotely close to falling into that situation.  There are so many potential untapped avenues and questions of a fairly still, mysterious past for her that they could pull out with her (some missed opportunities). And also, seriously, there's been a bunch of questions that we keep asking about that she's obviously related as being involved in. Maybe it should be geared more towards looking at Celestia's past and what she's involved in.

Oh wait, we're just going to buzzkill any idea of her actually getting her own episode. Right, still disappointed if that's likely going to be case. She's really not in the 'Superman Syndrome', that seriously can't be why they haven't had a clue of what to do with her.

I thought it was because the writer's didn't give her any major roles or purpose outside of being Twilight's mentor.

Thus when Twilight became a princess, Celestia started getting less important to the actual show.

In season 4 she was fine due to still having a mission giver mode in the premiere and finale, as well as Twilight not being fully comfortable with being a princess.

But in season 5, where Twilight pretty much has no more problems with being a princess, Celestia is almost nowhere to be found.

She appeared and did so little in season 5, that at one point I actually forgot that Celestia was in it.

Plus with the Cutie Map being introduced as a mission giver of sorts, it also took away one of her major impacts that she had in the show.

So I am just glad that Celestia was not written out of the show.

Because I am pretty sure it would have been pretty easy to do so at this point.

Edited by cmarston1

If nothing else, I'd like to see an origin-story episode for the Big C, tell us the legend of how she became who she is, Grandpa Jim! *hops up and down in his seat* If we could get multiple episodes of her that'd be even better, but Celly issue #1 would be a good first one to start with.

Of course, Discord issue #1 would earn at least a peek from me; the transformation from wacky old pony wizard to interdimensional being must've been a long leap to make. There's a story there, too, somewhere...

• Brohoof 2