Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Am I the only one that thinks fighting games are the absolute WORST genre?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

3 hours ago, Megas said:

Stop sucking and get better I guess?

Why? It's a game, not a job. Games are supposed to be fun and entertaining. If a game requires a lot of work (that is not fun or entertaining) put into it before it can be fun, then instead of doing that, I could either play a game that's fun or do some non-fun work that earns me money.

24 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Why? It's a game, not a job. Games are supposed to be fun and entertaining. If a game requires a lot of work (that is not fun or entertaining) put into it before it can be fun, then instead of doing that, I could either play a game that's fun or do some non-fun work that earns me money.

You can say that about literally any game, but there's a massive difference between a game not being fun because of poor design and sucking at said game. Sure some games are easier than others by design, but that doesn't mean a game should just have a big "DO" button, you got to have some semblance of challenge, otherwise you get garbage like Balan Wonderworld. Difficult games can be hard to start but can be really rewarding when you get the jist of it. Sure Fighting games are hostile to new players, especially as it's a competitive and multiplayer focused genre, but they give you tools like arcade mode, practice mode, difficulty options, they aren't there for no reason, they are there to help you improve. If you suck at a game and are not having fun, just say they aren't for you, writing off games or entire genres as garbage just because you suck at them is incredibly disingenuous

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Megas said:

You can say that about literally any game, but there's a massive difference between a game not being fun because of poor design and sucking at said game.

Part of poor design is being hostile to new players. A lot of games are fun to play when just starting and are also fun to play later. For example, the Portal developers put a lot of effort to make the game fun to play for new players, teaching them the mechanics in easier levels. If Portal started with complex puzzles, it would not be as popular.

However, if a lot of people like some game then good for them. This can be said for both fighting games and hidden object games. Lots of people like them, I don't. I like it when a game is fun to play and does not feel like work. That doesn't mean the game has to be absolutely easy (though you won't see me setting difficulty level above what I think is the "default" or "normal"), but it also means I won't be grinding for hours to get to the "good parts".

• 9 months later...

>Smash bros.

>Fighting game

I wouldn't consider a mascot fighter an actual fighting game. They are more like party games. Even Sakurai made Brawl closer to a party game for the exact same reason.

Now, virtua fighter has always felt clunky to me, but I'm more into frenetic fighting games such as Melty Blood, Guilty Gear and Marvel vs Capcom. So unless you have only played street fighter and anything related to mortal kombat, then I really don't know what do you consider to be clunky.

As for fighting games being cheap? They are as cheap as one is unskilled. The whole thing with fighting games is about finding an opening in the oponent's defense. If one completely lacks defense, easy AIs are likely to hand one's butt.

As for them being casual unfriendly? They used to be, I won't deny that, but with modern fighting games having autocombos, most are quite friendly nowadays. Just spam a single button when you hit someone and enjoy, I guess?

I think fighting games are not for everyone, and that's ok. Just like survival-horror isn't for everyone. Fighting games require dedication and being a good loser because, while you get better, you're likely to lose most of the times you play. But the pay off is great, since you get a great hand-eye coordination and pulling good tech is a moral boost.

I think the games that pretending to be simulators are the worst genre. Why not just call it for what it really is: just a game.

Edited by RDDash
  • Brohoof 1

I can definitely say that, while the fighting genre still is not a top pick for me, Battle Royale has absolutely taken top spot for the crappiest genre in all of gaming, by far. It is basically no contest. I am actually excited for Tekken 8 I'll admit, whereas any BR game is just a soulless platform for endless monetization. 

On 2016-05-07 at 1:33 PM, Kyoshi said:

Full of cheap tactics and cheap A.I:

Thinking about the bosses in Street Fighter II when it came out in the arcades, the AI was made to eat your quarters. But the bosses weren't playable so their moveset was overpowering. Once they got playable in the next version of the arcade game, they were very difficult to play (so the AI always felt cheap to me too).

• Brohoof 1

27 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I can definitely say that, while the fighting genre still is not a top pick for me, Battle Royale has absolutely taken top spot for the crappiest genre in all of gaming, by far. It is basically no contest. I am actually excited for Tekken 8 I'll admit, whereas any BR game is just a soulless platform for endless monetization. 

Battle royal.... Gambling, placing bets... Usually for that...

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2023 at 2:10 PM, ZiggWheelsManning said:

I worry people don't have a :sunny:heart for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers:  The Movie (SEGA Genesis) being that Magazord fights are in it, that game needs more love:love:  

The Movie game on Genesis was a Beat-em-up. The Genesis game based on the regular TV Show was the fighting game

Spoiler

Power Rangers Fighting Edition on SNES was the better fighting game

I have always had a difficult time getting into fighting games outside of the original Mortal kombat but i can value the fun it has as a genre. I have played many fighting games but could never master one but even so, i think the beauty in fighting games comes from mastering the moves and the character lore around it.

Edited by CocoCody

On 1/1/2023 at 6:10 PM, ZiggWheelsManning said:

I worry people don't have a :sunny:heart for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers:  The Movie (SEGA Genesis) being that Magazord fights are in it, that game needs more love:love:  

Oh my god i own that game in the box for the genesis, i actually love that game!! The music hits really hard.

46 minutes ago, CocoCody said:

Oh my god i own that game in the box for the genesis, i actually love that game!! The music hits really hard.

You like the music that plays when you select the White Tigerzord, the head folds out entering ;)Warrior Mode with that :squee:electric sound sequence?  

What's your favorite track for it?  

34 minutes ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

You like the music that plays when you select the White Tigerzord, the head folds out entering ;)Warrior Mode with that :squee:electric sound sequence?  

What's your favorite track for it?  

Yeah man~! I really love that part with the electric sound sequence, such a Grungy, Metal, Sega Genesis Twang.

My favourite tracks are, The first boss battle on stage 6, Stage 1, The opening intro, The hornitron boss battle and Lord zed/ Rita meeting cutscene.

What makes the music so effective for me, is that there is a surprising amount of suspense in it and that it feels very bold in a cinematic way. 

Everything has that crunchy, bold, punch to it, that makes a street brawl fighting game so fun to play.

Are you are a big fan of Sega genesis's games by any chance?

Edited by CocoCody

On 2/25/2023 at 12:22 AM, CocoCody said:

Yeah man~! I really love that part with the electric sound sequence, such a Grungy, Metal, Sega Genesis Twang.

My favourite tracks are, The first boss battle on stage 6, Stage 1, The opening intro, The hornitron boss battle and Lord zed/ Rita meeting cutscene.

What makes the music so effective for me, is that there is a surprising amount of suspense in it and that it feels very bold in a cinematic way. 

Everything has that crunchy, bold, punch to it, that makes a street brawl fighting game so fun to play.

Are you are a big fan of Sega genesis's games by any chance?

"Call the 5-4-1" was also used in the Goldar zord battle:yay:  

Beware Zedd's giant hand:blink:  

Tigerzord convert to Warrior Mode:secret:  

The SEGA Game Gear version had no White Tigerzord in it:okiedokieloki::unamused:  

Cars running over Ooze men:Pharynx:  

Throw barrels at Zedd's Putties:fiery:  

Goldar flies up and, is he doing what I think he's doing:mlp_gag:  

No Tor the Shuttlezord?  Deeply insulting:dry:  

That blue ninja guy who helped in zord fights, Ninjor, isn't here either:(  

Same for Shogun Megazord:maud:  

Giant Ivan Ooze Megazord has haunting electric sound:lostit:  

Rocky, Adam and Aishia reminisce how they became Power Rangers:D  

Loss of the Green Ranger powers and Tommy becoming the White Ranger:(  

I'm big fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog games:kirin: