What did you think of it?  

229 users have voted

1. 1. How was the episode?

• Holiday jeers; man. >: (
    • Didn't care for it...bah humbug.
    • It was...total meh.
    • I'd say it was jolly decent!
    • WHAT A HEARTH'S WARMING THIS IS! <3

This episode did a good job of paying homage by taking a key element or two from A Christmas Carol and How The Grinch Stole Christmas, while still portraying itself in doing its own thing for using musical storytelling when telling a story. Not just that, there were songs sung by the three ghosts known as Past, Present, and Future which I might add that the songs all hit the mark.

I commend Mike Vogel for the writing of this episode and Daniel Ingram's music capturing the right feel for Christmas, even when airing in May. :P

10/10 from me.

medium.gif

• Brohoof 6

4.) How come twilight hasnt appeared in the story? I really thought she would be the spirit of harmony or friendship

Twilight played an important part as NARRATOR of the story. Charles Dickens presented "A Christmas Carol" as if he was narrating something he witnessed. Twilight played this part for Starlight Glimmer. Remember, she and Spike giggled over Twilight using her "Pinkie Voice" for one of the spirits.

(I loved that!)

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

At the Hearth's Warming Eve party, when Snowdash says that Snowfall believes that "we would all be better off spending time working to make Equestria a better place", everyone at the party boos. And when Snowdash says that Snowfall believes a better Equestria looks like "ponies working hard, learning, and using their abilities for the benefit of Equestria", Merry and Flutterholly laugh at that notion. But I don't think Snowfall's ideas there are ridiculous and worthy of being booed or laughed at. When Merry and Flutterholly say that a better Equestria looks like the Hearth's Warming Eve party they're at right now, I want to ask them "Well, how is that able to happen? What makes that possible?". It's only through the power of capitalism, harnessing resources, and technological progress - i.e., the hard work of lots and lots of people to make their fellow human beings' lives better - that we have the leisure time and wealth to spend on parties like these in the first place. I get that the intended message is probably to strike an appropriate work-leisure balance and not to tilt too far toward work, but I think that message doesn't come across very well in that scene.

I'm glad you brought this up. When I saw the episode live, I thought I had misheard Snowdash. The second time I watched the episode, I realized I hadn't and this was something that bugged me.

Like you, I understood there was some kind of subtext to their comments in that Snowfall was a slave driver of some sort and didn't believe in recreational time. But the way the scene played out, it seemed more like the ponies of Canterlot (which, I feel like should have been Manehatten since the Victorian architecture more closely matches that city) were entirely dismissing the notion of leaving the world a better place than when they entered it. It made all of the characters in the room come off as the antagonists instead of Snowfall.

The line Snowdash should have used should have been something like, "She believes we'd all be better off working hard just to figure out new ways to help make us work harder." It's not that hard a line to figure out, and I'm surprised this didn't get caught in the script rewrites since it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 3

Now there's something in the episode that I just can't get over. Applejack of course has an unbelievably beautiful voice to me but they gave her such a poorly written song. I feel like the writers don't put her gorgeous singing voice to better use so I have to say I liked Pinkie pie's song better because it was well written and catchy.  Also the episode of pretty good too :twi: .

• Brohoof 2

This was a real roller coaster of awesome and cringe on the first viewing. (I am very picky about musicals and their songs fitting together) But on a second watch, after understanding the stylistic intent, I loved it. I LOVE "Say Goodbye to the Holiday"  Kelly Sheridan's voice is lovely, and the music/ lyrics are great. 

I found this to be a pretty decent episode.

The songs are good.

So is Dragon Toenail some kind of drink mix? :sunbutt:

I could be wrong, but I assumed it was some kind of potion ingredient/spell ingredient.
  • Brohoof 3

I’m getting annoyed with all the references of Starlight’s evil past in her episodes. It’s the same problem I have with pointing out Sunset Shimmer’s in Rainbow Rocks.

• Brohoof 1

I’m getting annoyed with all the references of Starlight’s evil past in her episodes. It’s the same problem I have with pointing out Sunset Shimmer’s in Rainbow Rocks.

Yeah, I've gotten sick of that as well. :unamused:  If it happened only once I wouldn't be too annoyed.

It's a bit more excusable in the episodes because many different writers work on them and they don't know what each other has written.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Overused Christmas Carol spoof, rehashing of Starlight Glimmer's mistake, song after song.

I feel like the writers are now experimenting on how bad they can make an episode that bronies would stop watching it.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

Overused Christmas Carol spoof, rehashing of Starlight Glimmer's mistake, song after song.

I feel like the writers are now experimenting on how bad they can make an episode that bronies would stop watching it.

ive watched other christmas themed cartoons with the same spoof. i do concede its too overused

ive watched other christmas themed cartoons with the same spoof. i do concede its too overused

Overused Christmas Carol spoof, rehashing of Starlight Glimmer's mistake, song after song. I feel like the writers are now experimenting on how bad they can make an episode that bronies would stop watching it.

So playing homage to probably the most iconic christmus story ever is a bad thing? Okay LOL, also this was not a spoof, it was paying homage.

And your second point I am not sure what you mean by 'rehashing starlights mistake' you mean her season 4 mistake, or you mean snow frost?

• Brohoof 6

i couldnt have agreed more. luna as a spirit is sooo amazing!! that gaze. that voice

I second that with having Luna get her first solo song after the joint one with Celestia, Cadance, and Twilight back in Twilight's Kingdom.

• Brohoof 2

I think this is a really weird time to air a Christmas episode; I probably would have enjoyed it more if it aired in December :P

I did like Luna's song and AJ's song but the rest of the episode was meh for me.

• Brohoof 2

So playing homage to probably the most iconic christmus story ever is a bad thing? Okay LOL, also this was not a spoof, it was paying homage.

And your second point I am not sure what you mean by 'rehashing starlights mistake' you mean her season 4 mistake, or you mean snow frost?

Some spoofs were memorable even when overused, MLP did not serve that justice