Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In the Bats song, whose side were you on?

Tarnation

In whose side were you on?  

33 users have voted

1. 1. Whose side- Applejack or Fluttershy?

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy

(edited)

Personally, I was on Applejack's side, as her life and work would be ruined if she let the bat eat her orchard up.

Edited by Cocoa-sweet-Rarity

If this was real life, Applejack. The bats appeared as an invasive species in the episode, and not as a nuisance species. 

• Brohoof 4

If this was real life, Applejack. The bats appeared as an invasive species in the episode, and not as a nuisance species. 

Agree plus I still miffed at Fluttershy for making AJ applogize to the beaver for HIS dam which he did on purpose. Applejac has all the right obe pissed but no Fluttershy cares more for animals then her own friends.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely Applejack. The bats weren't just some simple annoyance, they were being a huge threat to the livelihood of the entire Apple family. That is enough to make me resent the bats in the episode. Sure, they are just doing what they do to survive, but so are the Apple family.

• Brohoof 1

What a fun question! What made you ask?
I'm a bit ashamed to say, but I was on Applejack's side. At least until Fluttershy explained AJ's orchard would be all the better off for it.

I'm siding with Fluttershy on this. While the vampire fruit bats meant no harm, had Applejack just done as Fluttershy suggested originally, they would not have had to deal with Fluttershy becoming a vampire bat pony herself and Applejack admitting that her plan to get rid of them via a spell from Twilight was the wrong idea in the first place.

Simple as that pretty much. I can sympathize with Fluttershy's point of view, but there is a limit, and that's especially so with the Apple family's livelihood and one of the major sources of food for Ponyville at risk. Honestly, if anything, Fluttershy would've done better to have convinced the bats to move elsewhere...if that was possible at all.

• Brohoof 1

I was on Applejack's side. It's not like they were trying to kill the bats anyway, but they were still a huge threat to the farm and family. I personally kind of hated how the episode forced you to be on Fluttershy's side, considering the Apple Family wasn't really doing anything wrong there.

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually quite surprised so many other people went with Applejack. Of course I went with her because #BestPony, but also I saw this as a "best species wins" type of deal. One of 'em had to go, sorry Flutters.

I would have to side with Applejack. Flutter's cause is good too but I'm afraid that losing all year's harvest of apples would effect the Apple family and quiet possibly a good part Equestria's food supply.

(edited)

they bullied fluttershy into doing something she wasn't comfortable with.

Where's the neither option? Both ideas were too extreme and neither Applejack nor Fluttershy were willing to compromise.

fluttershy gave a logical alternative path, and it was shot down without discussion.

it doesn't matter what side you are on, the methods were abhorrent.  

But I really don't understand how you can be on applejack's side when we see the results of everyone being on AJ's side.  its a disaster.  

more than that, it's predictable that there will be a disaster.  The solution suggested is shockingly severe and poorly thought out.  Fluttershy is being the voice of reason.

I understand that you buy into AJ's panic and believe that she isn't being overly dramatic, but even then, doing anything so untested in a panic shouldn't be something we celebrate.  furthermore, a character that doesn't listen, and dogmatically yells up a storm is not someone to celebrate.  There was time to talk things out, and there was time to explore the option presented by the resident animal expert.  

Edited by weesh

No question about it, I'm siding with Applejack. I had actually talked about this pretty extensively on the episode thread itself right here. I did make arguments for both parties but I took a realistic approach to the situation, which led me to taking Applejack's side.

The episode tries so hard to paint Applejack in a negative light, but the points she makes are, at their core, perfectly valid and never entirely refuted. Sure, Fluttershy makes a decent point when she mentions potential long-term benefits, but can the bats really be expected to stay in their "sanctuary"? They're an invasive species and an immediate threat to Applejack's livelihood. I *might* be more split if the episode didn't favour Fluttershy so strongly, but I dislike the episode's slant enough that I sympathise more with Applejack. 

• Brohoof 3

Though at first I was on Fluttershy's side, now I see that if this were real life Applejack has my vote. The apple farm is part of how she makes money and the fruit bats are damaging, I guess what you could say "sales".

Easily Applejack. The vampire fruit bats are an invasive species with a history of causing Ponyville to starve and nearly crumble. Fluttershy's logic does more harm than good and should never be treated in the right.

My stance is

• They were wrong to pressure Fluttershy into doing something she didn't want to do
  • Twilight was reckless to monkey with the bats' eating habits

But there was absolutely nothing wrong with Applejack wanting to boot pest animals that threatened her livelihood off of her land.

• Brohoof 1