Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you change the finale?

Bronium

Let's face it. "The Royal Wedding" was far from perfect. Still a great episode but not as good as other episodes.

So how would you change the episode and why?

You can change the whole episode if you want or just change the smallest detail it's up to you.

1) I would have removed a few scenes that I felt unnecessary to the whole episode such as the bridesmaids attacking Cadace and Twilight.

2) I was really looking forward to the fight scene. It looked like it was going to be fantastic, but they just recycled what was essentially 6 pictures. Now hear me out here. I felt that all my favorite episodes had this one amazing scene or had multiple great scenes. Like the whole training montage with Fluttershy or the craziness of Twilight in Lesson Zero but the wedding had no memorable scenes. I think that the fight scene could have been a lot better but again, the animators were probably stripped for time.

3) Now the real issue with me is probably the ending. It felt so corny. Now I'm not saying that I could have done it better, I can't even think of an ending right now, but they are professionals, I even heard one of the writers say about how MLP was about the story and the writing and to see that sorry ending, well I'm just annoyed.

4) The episode was quite centered around Twilight and I felt that it should have focused on the whole Mane 6, like "The Best Night Ever". This is not about any particular pony in general *coughfluttershycough* but they could have gave them more speaking parts. The ending gave the impression of "Twilight and friends" whereas it was really about "The Adventures of the Mane 6". The whole team had an extremely talented cast and it seemed just wasteful not to fully utilize them.

This is why I would change it.

Hasbro really marketed the episode and I'm quite certain that at least a few non-bronies would have watched the finale. The whole episode is the opposite of the series. The episode felt like a Disney Princess movie (not hating) while other episodes felt like a Pixar Experience, with their great writing. Many of the non-bronies who were getting the first impressions will probably brush of the series as girly, because lets face it, it was. (Not saying girly is bad btw).

I got no good ideas on how to change the ending but I bet all the writers on the Forums will probably think of something. :D

I loved the episodes for the most part, but I would have liked for them to have mentioned Cadence's relation to Celestia and Chrysalis's name on the show. ;)

The animators thought we want only 1-2 seconds of the ponies we wanted to see again. No, we want them for at least like the half to the whole episode! D:<

More Vinyl Scratch, better sonic rainboom and I don't know how but somehow change the way Chrysalis was defeated. It felt kinda too easy..

How about Chrysalis winning everypony ? :P

Joke aside(though I would like Chrysalis winning :P) The ending was just horrible, out of the blue love power and 1 hit ko everyone. It was cliche and very Deus ex machima and unfitting for the villain after such build up(like beating and traping Celestia) . I loved the rest of it so no other complains xD

I would've liked a longer fight scene between Chrysalis and Celestia. Also, Luna needed more appearances, so they gave her like 1:00 minutes total in screen time? Do they not like her or something? Also, I would've liked Chrysalis to burn instead of getting flung away.

Apart from the rushed ending, the only other part I would change is the pacing of the first part. Several scenes could have been cut without effecting the actual story in anyway. Yes, i realize we needed to introduce Shining Armor and the Princess, but the way they were introduced seemed sluggish and dragged on displaying how evil Cadence is. Especially the rehersal accusation scene, while setting the mood for the next episode, only really served to supply momentary doubt to the audience that maybe Twilight was overreacting and this could all be explained (despite everything we had been shown up until that point).

...For all of maybe a minute to thirty seconds, before those thoughts are immediately squashed beyond a shadow of a doubt that "Yep, she's downright evil. Twilight was right".

Also, more Luna. I can't be the only one who would have loved to see Luna kick changling ass right?

I thought that Chrysalis's defeat was too short of a battle. There should have been more battle time before using "love" to win. And yes, more Luna and Vinyl, indeed.

(edited)

I would have liked the royal guard to actually do something when Chrysalis (hope I spelled the name right) looked out the window at all the ponies running away in Canterlot. I would have at least liked to see the royal guard doing something to help and stop the changelings.

Edited by Thebeardedone

(edited)

Here's what I would have done:

1.The changelings invade Canterlot from the gates.While Chrysallis is holding the Mane 6 hostage,Luna and the royal guards are making a last stand against the changelings until they get overwhelmed.

2.Vinyl Scratch talks

3.MOAR LUNA!

But other than that,I'd have kept the same plot.

Edited by The Awesome One

I felt that the ending party was far to short, and wish they had done more with Vinyl Scratch. Also i think they could have used Luna for a bit more than she was. Overall though i really didn't have many issues with the episode.

The sonic rainboom was so rushed. Rainbow Dash just flew maybe the equivalent of 10-20 feet in the sky, and without effort, made a sonic rainboom. What happened to flying so fast, building up momentum, and then making a sonic rainboom after trying? I would definitely extend that scene, or maybe edit it some. As in, the ponies are talking, except for Rainbow Dash, and then they look up. And there, in the sky, is a sonic rainboom.

• Brohoof 2

A battle with Celestia and Chrysalis that didn't last ten seconds. I go on about this all over these forums when I get the chance, but it's true. The one time poor Trollestia gets off her arse and tries to fight she get's pwned in ten seconds. I get that Chrysalis was temporarily stronger than her due to the love of the couple, but jeez. In my opinion they could have had Celestia having an epic battle with Chrysalis, then all of Chrysalis's minions break through, Celestia tells the Mane 6 to go find the elements like she originally did, and then only upon returning from their failed fight with the changelings, do we see that Celestia get's defeated. That at the very least, would have been better than what they did. If even more leeway was given, I would love to actually watch said fight scene instead of it being implied whilst we watch the Mane 6.

• Brohoof 2

I wouldn't really change anything. Time is of the essence, so trying to add more to the episode would simply rush the narrative even further. I quite agree that the ending had a fairly quick resolution which felt a bit anti-climactic. But what else could really be done? They only have 44 minutes for the whole of the two episodes. I don't know if an elegant solution exists.

Another part I might like to alter a bit is the sequence in the caves. It seemed as though they were setting up for a longer exploration through the caverns, but it never came to fruition. The whole matter of being trapped is rather easily dealt with in a brief montage. Thankfully, that montage includes "This Day Aria", so all is well. I can't really dislike the rapid escape sequence simply because that song is terrific.

Any other tweaks to the finale would be minor and probably not worth mentioning.

Pretty much everything that was epic about this episode was either seemingly rushed, or too short.

Let's face it, only 44-minutes isn't long enough for the "perfect" episode/special. It's amazing, though, how they were able to cram all of that stuff in just two episodes. So much emotion conveyed, great amount of fanservice, well y'know, Friendship is Magic in general.

If they want to make the perfect episode, it should be a full-length movie, so they won't have to worry about rushed sequences, corny excuses for plot protection, etc. If you ask me, I'm rather impressed with how much they were able to put into the special, it was incredible finale, no doubt at all.

Here's to a two-parter that balances no corny rushed plots and tons of awesomeness!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Funny, I JUST came back from watching that episode.

I didn't like it that much either. I thought it went by a little fast; I felt that the revelation of Chrysalis' identity came too easily, I think the conflict could have been longer (maybe 44 minutes wasn't enough). And plus I feel Chrysalis just kind of comes out of nowhere, she didn't really have much of an introduction.

Luna didn't have much of a role, I really didn't like that, I would've loved to see more of her.

The battle between Celestia and Chrysalis definitely could've been longer, it didn't make much sense to me that the Goddess of Equestria could've been defeated so easily.

And I did not like the cliche "love conquers all" theme at the end. I'm not gonna lie: I actually gagged a little. I thought for sure the writers could have come up with a more original ending.

I think the problem was that the writers just didn't have enough room to work with; everything had to be done in 44 minutes. I wonder how they would've done with 88 minutes or even 120.

Edited by Twilight Yagami

I thought the pacing on the first half was done quite well, but not so well on the second. So if there was any way to remedy it, I'd change that.

Kinda along the same lines is Chrysalis and the changelings' expulsion from the kingdom. Would've liked more closure than the "Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off again" mentality.

Finally, that final song. Didn't dislike it, but I thought it could be a little better, perhaps up to par with the other two in the episode. And don't get me wrong here -- usually, I quite enjoy what Daniel Ingram puts together. This one just didn't sit with me as well.

• Brohoof 1