Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have the Cutie Mark Crusaders run their course?

BrawnyCharger

Now I don't mean to offend anypony here who's a fan of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, because I don't dislike them at all. But I feel I'd be lying if I say don't feel as though Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are starting to get a little bit stale. 

It's been 6 seasons since they were first formed and the CMC have come full circle when they finally earned their cutie marks last year. Now where else can their characters be taken. I don't think there's anywhere else for them to go.

So what I suggest is that maybe the writers should start having fewer episodes focusing on the Cutie Mark Crusaders. You can have them appear from time to time as side characters to episodes, but I think the CMC have run their course as main characters, so I think it's time for the creative staff to start focusing on other undeveloped side character ponies in order to keep the show fresh.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

What do you think? Have the Cutie Mark Crusaders jumped the shark as main characters?

• Brohoof 2

Nope. Getting their Cutie Marks was only the beginning of their journey; now they have to apply their talents to life, love, and everything else in between. Still plenty of nuggets to mine with them growing up and growing wiser.

• Brohoof 10

I enjoyed the Gabby episode, so I like the direction of their journey.

I also do not want to see Scootaloo fly. I'd like to see that brought up that she can be a fulfilled pegasus without flying.

• Brohoof 4

Nah, they've still got potential. I want to see more episodes of them helping others with their cutie marks, as well as what challenges they face as they keep growing up.

Same thing with other characters too, I want some more episodes of Dash dealing with being in the Wonderbolts, or Twilight dealing with problems even now that she's a Princess and a teacher. Reaching a goal doesn't have to end a character's journey, there' still plenty of potential afterwards.

I want to say no, but I honestly don't like the idea of 'helping ponies find their purpose' because this implies that they specifically need some important purpose. I wish they would just help them find what they like to do most or something similar, use different words for it. Not sure if what I am saying here makes sense but I want to see them approach things in a more simple way. I am not tired of them at all and they have tons of potential.

• Brohoof 2

They could still use an episode with Pinkie Pie. For one thing, their first episode all together was with Fluttershy in Season 1, then they had another with Twilight in Season 4, and one with Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Applejack this season, but not a single one with Pinkie.

If we get a Season 7, there's still a chance for Pinkie/CMC. An easy way this can happen is in a circus episode, which there also isn't one of in the show, although lots of other shows had at least one circus episode.

Edited by FirePuppy

The Crusaders may of gain their marks but that doesn't mean their journey as characters end. The potential to show Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo something more than focusing on cutie marks in general are worthwhile. We see them learn who they are, we see them grow, and build strong relationships with their older siblings and other ponies. I want that to continue, to built upon that character.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say yes. Sad to say, but since getting their marks, the CMC have gotten significantly less energetic and cute. (AB in Hearthbreakers being one exception.)

If anything I feel like the CMC have the potential to keep G4 going after the Mane Six's story is done, perhaps as G4.5. The only issue is that the writers seem intent on rehashing things they've already done, while it's relatively easy to give them new adventures that don't retread old ground. It's not that their characters have become useless, it's that they're not being used to their full potential right now. To be fair, though, I don't think the Mane Six are being used to their full potential either this season.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like most of the characters in the show has run their course- most ponies that had a clear goal in the beginning has met the goal. However, I think that if the CMC could have adventures of their own that wasn't just the same episodes and lessons over and over, they should be the ones that the mane 6 pass the torch down to. I would like to end this season (and the series), watch the movie, and hope the CMC are the manes in G5. If that were to be the case, we'd be talking about a series that focuses more on developing as a person, rather than just friendship lessons. I feel like that could be beneficial for a children's show if done right. It's unlikely to happen, but I can dream.

(For some reason I wanted to say that the CMC can be done when they'd council their way out of an apocalypse. HEIGHTEN THEM STAKES  :P )

"The Cart Before the Ponies" was pretty stale and boring, while "On You Marks" and "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks" were really good episodes IMO. I feel like as long as they focus more on thier new purpose instead of having random forced episodes that feel like they never got thier marks in the first place, then the CMC should be fine. I would suggest throwing in some episodes about them going outside of Ponyville (with adult supervision of course) to help Ponies.

The CMC's first story has ended, but a new one has begun. Yeah that's a generic statement, but it's true. A character's story never ends because their life goes on. Even if they happen to die, there are still stories to be told involving their influence and possible legacy. Death is just one easy/cheap method to take if a storyteller doesn't want to use a character anymore since not everyone that dies is remembered. They just need to be smart enough to come up with more interesting stories involving the CMC.

There's also definitely room for side characters to get more screentime, particularly the non-Twilight alicorns.

Nothing has run its course that still has good writing to it. If and when the well of inspiration completely dries up, the CMC, as well as anything else that the writers can no longer handle, will be done. The same question applies to anything and everything in the show. When the inspiration dies, so does the show.