Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why wasn't Scootaloo made Rainbow's sister?

LordDiscord

If you look a the CMC you can see similar traits to 3 of the Mane 7, Rainbow, Rarity, and Apple Jack, however only 2 of the CMC are actually siblings to these 3 ponies, Rainbow Dash is just more of a role model for Scoots rather then a actual sister. And it always made me curious as to why she wasn't made Rainbows sister, I mean, every other Mane 7 character (with the exception of Starlight Glimmer) has some form of brother or sister. Apple Jack has a older brother and litter sister, Rarity has a younger sister, Fluttershy has a younger brother, Twilight has a older brother and sister in law and Pinkie has 3 sisters, yet Rainbow Dash does not have a brother or sister of any kind, yet Scootaloo seems to be the perfect archetype to be her sister, just like Applebloom matches AJ and Sweetie Belle matches Rarity. It makes me wonder if at one point she was going to be Rainbows sister, but was cut for some reason. 

Lauren Faust never made them, in fact she never intended for them to be surrogate sisters like they are now

Honestly, the fact that they aren't related is what makes them more special to me

• Brohoof 14

Scootaloo always strived for that special bond between Rainbow Dash since the beginning. As a young Pegasi, she always seen Rainbow dash as an role model and that role essentially changed when she became closer to her in subsequent episodes. We see it unfold were she and Rainbow Dash not only become great friends at first but also developing a very close bond just like how Applebloom and Sweetie Belle exhibit with their sisters. It takes more than a blood relation to show how Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash can be sisters and that very moment I all I ever wanted for the both of them.

The explanation I heard was that Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were originally going to be sisters as well. Hasbro's board rejected the idea, however, as they thought it stretched the bounds of credibility when the other two Crusaders also had siblings in the Mane Six. Lauren Faust ultimately rethought the idea, as she decided that Dash would be the sort of big sister who would tease and prank their younger siblings endlessly, and finally agreed that Rainbow Dash made a better role model for Scootaloo than a sibling and left it at that.

Why are people trying to make Scootaloo be more like a Rainbow Dash mini me. I think Scootaloo has potential to appear as a separate individual apart from Rainbow Dash but people keep trying to push her to be more like RD.

Well, to be honest, Since every Mane Six has a brother or sister by relation, I'm kinda glad that RD doesn't have a biological sister or brother. I know many try to relate to the characters. Doesn't it make sense for at least one of them to be an ONLY Child?

• Brohoof 1

I don't know why there would be a need to make Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo sisters.

Actually, making Sweetie Belle and Rarity sisters felt random when it was first revealed in "Stare Master" since the two haven't been shown doing anything onscreen together before that episode.

Why are people trying to make Scootaloo be more like a Rainbow Dash mini me. I think Scootaloo has potential to appear as a separate individual apart from Rainbow Dash but people keep trying to push her to be more like RD.

People are saying they want the two to be sisters, not turning Scootaloo into a RD clone

there's a huge freaking difference

No specific reason was given, but portraying a family-like relationship between non-family characters is a big part of it. It still doesn't excuse the fact that absolutely nothing has been said about what Scootaloo's family situation really is, and opportunities have been missed at portraying alternative living arrangements.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

Scootaloo and Rainbow both share a very distinct trait in the show: We know literally nothing about their family. We don't know anything about their parents, their siblings if they have any, not even cousins. I find this incredibly odd since these are the two that share a bond with each other. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe we can get an episode in which both are explored? How awesome would that be? So many mysteries would be solved and perhaps in that episode, Rainbow can sorta adopt Scootaloo as a sister or something. Problem solved. :3

• Brohoof 2

As an only child I really love Scootaloo and RD's relationship. Everyone has a sibling on most shows, it's nice to have only child representation. (That said, I hope either of them suddenly has a brother appear or something...though i did like the episode with Fluttershy and her brother.)

I remember reading an interview which Lauren Faust said she didn't think RD would make a good older sister because she was too impatient or too self centered or something like that. I'm glad the new writers didn't go with that concept because it made for excellent character development for RD.

As an only child I really love Scootaloo and RD's relationship. Everyone has a sibling on most shows, it's nice to have only child representation. (That said, I hope either of them suddenly has a brother appear or something...though i did like the episode with Fluttershy and her brother.)

I remember reading an interview which Lauren Faust said she didn't think RD would make a good older sister because she was too impatient or too self centered or something like that. I'm glad the new writers didn't go with that concept because it made for excellent character development for RD.

I can understand that, but that could have also been a lesson that Rainbow Dash had to work toward. She would learn she needs to take up that mantle and even as a role model she still does a good job at watching over Scootaloo, I just feel that her role of being a role model would not be jeopardized by her being a older sister to Scoots. If anything it would make her more determined to make Rainbow proud of her. It's just that, if feels weird that 2/3's of the CMC are sisters to the Mane 7, it makes Scootaloo feel like the odd one out despite the archetype they have clearly made for Scootaloo, just like Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belles shares traits with their sister, Scoots shares traits with Rainbow, which is why I feel had Rainbow had a younger sister Scoots would fit the role perfectly. 

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I think all 3 of the CMC being siblings of the mane six would have felt a little too "Perfect", I'm glad they didn't do that. She's pretty much Dash's adopted sister now anyway, and that fits just fine.

Also, I'll say I think it's nice at least one of the mane six is an only child, as one myself. It's not a huge deal to me, but it does feel a bit strange to me in shows when EVERYONE seems to have a sibling. I can appreciate a good sibling relationship, but I can't really relate to it. 

Edited by BasementGlimmer
  • Brohoof 1

I can understand that, but that could have also been a lesson that Rainbow Dash had to work toward. She would learn she needs to take up that mantle and even as a role model she still does a good job at watching over Scootaloo, I just feel that her role of being a role model would not be jeopardized by her being a older sister to Scoots. If anything it would make her more determined to make Rainbow proud of her. It's just that, if feels weird that 2/3's of the CMC are sisters to the Mane 7, it makes Scootaloo feel like the odd one out despite the archetype they have clearly made for Scootaloo, just like Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belles shares traits with their sister, Scoots shares traits with Rainbow, which is why I feel had Rainbow had a younger sister Scoots would fit the role perfectly. 

That seems a bit formulaic. Especially with Rarity already having to learn how to be a better sister and less self centered herself. It's all the more meaningful because Rainbow could easily just look at Scootaloo as a fan. She had no obligation by blood towards her and considering Scoots disability (or delayed development, depending on what ends up happening down the line) and admiration of Rainbow Dash it's all the more touching when she finally does reach out to her.

Edited by Aurora Storm

That seems a bit formulaic. Especially with Rarity already having to learn how to be a better sister and less self centered herself. It's all the more meaningful because Rainbow could easily just look at Scootaloo as a fan. She had no obligation by blood towards her and considering Scoots disability (or delayed development, depending on what ends up happening down the line) and admiration of Rainbow Dash it's all the more touching when she finally does reach out to her.

A lot of things could be seen as formulaic, but with how brash and stubborn Rainbow can be I feel a lesson like that is something she needs to learn more then Rarity did. Again, being a sibling does not mean, that Scootaloo can't admire Rainbow Dash or that her being a sibling makes it less memorable. Its just, is it really that far of a stretch that 3 ponies fillies just so happened to meet each other and are siblings of the main cast of characters? Considering the fact they all live in Ponyville, go to the same school and know 3 of the main characters, even when said main characters became linked though a event one of them performed in childhood.

A lot of things could be seen as formulaic, but with how brash and stubborn Rainbow can be I feel a lesson like that is something she needs to learn more then Rarity did. Again, being a sibling does not mean, that Scootaloo can't admire Rainbow Dash or that her being a sibling makes it less memorable. Its just, is it really that far of a stretch that 3 ponies fillies just so happened to meet each other and are siblings of the main cast of characters? Considering the fact they all live in Ponyville, go to the same school and know 3 of the main characters, even when said main characters became linked though a event one of them performed in childhood.

I see what you're saying, but I still think that it makes RD and Scoots relationship all the more meaningful with RD take Scootaloo under her wing (excuse the pun) than if they were blood relatives and "stuck with each other." Even if the other CMC crusaders weren't siblings of the mane six, I'd still think that way. And it's nice for us only children to have someone to relate to. Everyone has a sibling. It often seems the only time a character is made an only child is to bring out  how spoiled they are like Diamond Tiara or someone equally unlikable (prior to her redemption.)