Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why the fascination with seaponies in the movie?

ManaMinori

Frankly, I never liked them, and their g1 designs were creepy (and their personalities were mean), so I don get why all the hype exists for them, instead of, say, the Flutterponies, who are so, so much cuter, and magical than seaponies were

I dunno..because they are something different? And we don't know what they will look or act like yet. It is a bit early to decide whether you like them or not with nothing to go on except some comic book ideas and images and such. For all we know they may blow away the fandom and have us all wanting Seapony spin-offs. (But I seriously doubt it)

Personally I imagine they will be the Aquaman of the MLP universe and impossible to take seriously. But I would love to be wrong.

It might be simply a shout-out to the G1 series, since the seaponies played a key part in it several times. And like GrimGrimoire already said, they're something new that hasn't been seen in the FIM series, so it would be something to pique the audience's curiosity with.

It might be simply a shout-out to the G1 series, since the seaponies played a key part in it several times. And like GrimGrimoire already said, they're something new that hasn't been seen in the FIM series, so it would be something to pique the audience's curiosity with.

Outside of the comics that is yo :dash:. Anyway, it would be a nice to give a proper comeback to an old part of the whole franchise lore

• Brohoof 1

They did appear in the comics and I'd like to think that the Dazzling's Equestrian forms were based on the sea-ponies.

On the subject of the sea-ponies, since generation four was able to do so much good regarding Lord Tirek and the Smooze, I'm sure they can do the same thing with the sea-ponies and make them iconic characters.

Mermaids have always been popular an this is the MPL equilevent of that. Some people might be exited for the G1 references but I have never watched that so tagg is not the draw for me. Seeing a new "kingdom" with new creatures that look great and are different is.

Neither are new species, so I don't know where that's coming from.

People like sea ponies, especially older fans and even merponies have their fans, though not as many. Merponies have been around in G1, G3.5 and I believe even Filly Funtasia has them.

Though I wish the writers would get their species straight, since a sea pony is a sea horse and a merpony is a hippocampus.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

Honestly, I've been hearing more people complain than I've heard genuine excitement.

Personally, I'm just apathetic. I've never cared about G1, and seeing elements from that generation return isn't something I'm that eager to see. I trust that the crew will be able to do something interesting with them, but the concept alone doesn't get me that hyped.

Edited by BadHorse
  • Brohoof 1

Mermaids have always been popular an this is the MPL equilevent of that. Some people might be exited for the G1 references but I have never watched that so tagg is not the draw for me. Seeing a new "kingdom" with new creatures that look great and are different is.

so....um...yeah...G1 seasoned never had a "kingdom", in fact, it was the Flutterponies- with an actual queen (Rose dust) to first have any sort of kingdom in the franchise at all. All the more reason why their race, not the sea ponies, should be further explored in g4

I think it's because they're iconic to Escape from Nightmare Castle (despite showing up for one scene, having nothing to do with the plot, come completely out of nowhere-

That being said, I think there inclusion would be cool because it would be like the franchise had come full circle for us. For some of us, myself included, that movie was the first MLP thing we'd ever seen. So seeing the G4 take on something so "deep lore" in THE movie would be a treat.

• Brohoof 1

They did pop up in the UK G1 comics and books and as far as the show went, they really didn't do much. Though they showed up more then the Flutter ponies.

Plus the merponies didn't show up at all. I personally don't care for those ones though, despite the fact that Hasbro seems bent on shoving them at us every so often.

Mainly people are talking about them because that's really ALL WE KNOW about the movie, yeah? They're the only concrete info we have for the movie, the rest of the info is basically "BIg Evil darkness stuff attacks!"

Personally, I don't like seaponies, but I AM very happy and excited to see that they Scrapped their Aborted fetus looking G1 designs with fins for arms that they'd been using up till now and replaced them with hippocampi designs like the Sirens had in Rainbow rocks.
MUCH better looking IMO.

Mainly people are talking about them because that's really ALL WE KNOW about the movie, yeah? They're the only concrete info we have for the movie, the rest of the info is basically "BIg Evil darkness stuff attacks!"

Personally, I don't like seaponies, but I AM very happy and excited to see that they Scrapped their Aborted fetus looking G1 designs with fins for arms that they'd been using up till now and replaced them with hippocampi designs like the Sirens had in Rainbow rocks.

MUCH better looking IMO.

How does a seahorse resemble an aborted fetus?

so....um...yeah...G1 seasoned never had a "kingdom", in fact, it was the Flutterponies- with an actual queen (Rose dust) to first have any sort of kingdom in the franchise at all. All the more reason why their race, not the sea ponies, should be further explored in g4

I never said they had a kingdom in G1. But they do have one be in the film which I was refering and explaining why I am interested, not because some G1 reference.

Edited by snowflame

Because you can "call upon the sea ponies when you're in distress."  They're "helpful as can be ponies"; they but require that you "simply signal S-O-S."  As I understand it, they'll even go so far as to "see you to shore."

"Are you sinking fast?"

"Had some nasty shocks?"

"Feeling like all hope is gone?"

Don't get "washed up on the rocks."

"Signal S-O-S."

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

the lack of actual arms and flippers make them look preformed/malformed

Do sea horses have flippers and arms? Or do they have fins? Go look at a picture of a seahorse so you'll know what the rest of the world knows. That sea horses, like other fish have fins.

Do sea horses have flippers and arms? Or do they have fins? Go look at a picture of a seahorse so you'll know what the rest of the world knows. That sea horses, like other fish have fins.

Being true to nature isn't what's important, its making for an endearing design: The ponies look highly humanistic for example instead of being true to horses, but that's why we like them. :P

The real world Seahorse look isn't as cute as the Hippocampi design.

full.jpg

The answer, they are singing! 

Also sea ponehs can look good, actually.

sig-4743164.Storybook_illustration_of_th

Awww, dis Applejack is adorable. ~з~

What you posted was hippocampi: That's my argument, that they look good like THAT, but I hate their G1 "Biologically correct" designs. I have zero problems with hippocampi designs like the sirens and actually very much like those designs. I just hate the "Traditional" design like this.

large.jpg