Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Helping critters in need. Do you guys do it?

ManaMinori

I don't like seeing dried up earthworms on the sidewalk after it rains, so when I take walks and find one struggling to stay alive, I can't help but pick it up and throw it back in the grass. Maybe it's the Fluttershy in me, but I can just step over them and let them dry up on the pavement, if they're still alive.

Does anyone else go put of their way to save struggling animals- worms, birds that fell from nests, abandoned furry critters?

• Brohoof 2

Let's see I've saved 3 dogs from starving and got them homes, two cats that needed help and got them homes, taken in an old beta fish and gave it a new badass tank, my kitty now is a rescue, Ive saved a baby squirrel and two baby birds. Yeah I'd say I help.

• Brohoof 2

I haven't done any of it personally unless you count me helping my dogs through some tough times, but my parents did kind of help my brother giving a dog he once had to a new owner because he and his family couldn't look after him because of being away for most of the day.

• Brohoof 2

Never had the opportunity. Actually quite the opposite, in fact. My grandmother is the type of person that responds to a sleeping chipmunk in the driveway with, "Get a shovel and kill it."

And me, I'm the type of person that doesn't like pissing off the person that provides a roof to sleep under. Sorry, Alvin.

Situations like this rarely arise for me, but if it does happen, I try within my power to help, though if I realize that me hoping could possibly make things worse, then I try to get someone that would likely be of more help to do it. Half the time I never know if I would just make the situation worse as I get stressed out easily.

Never had the opportunity. Actually quite the opposite, in fact. My grandmother is the type of person that responds to a sleeping chipmunk in the driveway with, "Get a shovel and kill it."

And me, I'm the type of person that doesn't like pissing off the person that provides a roof to sleep under. Sorry, Alvin.

oh my goodness. What's wrong with your grandma?! Can't you call a friend or vet someone to take in the animal you find?

I try to help animals as much as I can! There was once an abandoned kitten I found in the bushes and nursed back to health (though we had to give her away because my mother was allergic). When I was little, I tried to start up a neighborhood pet rescue club with some friends, and we did succeed in saving a couple of dogs before we all got too busy with studies. :derp:

I will probably turn into that old lady in the neighborhood who takes in all the strays. :P

• Brohoof 3

absolutely! :D
piece of advice: when you see a turtle crossing the road always take it to the side its heading :P and hold it away from yourself.. turtle piss reeks XD

• Brohoof 1

oh my goodness. What's wrong with your grandma?! Can't you call a friend or vet someone to take in the animal you find?

My grandparents on one particular side of the family are just really venomous. They are difficult, paranoid, anti-everything, self-serving, and controlling. They have a huge fence surrounding the house (which is gated), and we're not allowed to bring people in. If I tried to take care of it myself, they'd probably go nuts over "hygiene, rabies, waste of time, it's just an animal," or yadayadayada.

I was walking home a couple weeks back and spotted a beetle crossing the road.  I also spotted oncoming traffic.  So I tried, mostly in vain and at some minimal risk of being hit by a car, to grab and relocate said beetle to the side of the road, knowing full well it was just going to scuttle back into harm's way anyhow.  And whenever a spider or insect wears out their welcome in our home, I'll go to some trouble to safely extract them and place them outside.  A lethargic bee was sleepily gripping a roll of toilet paper in our bathroom once, and I just set the entire roll outside in hopes that it'd wake up and go about its business.

• Brohoof 3

pretty sure I've killed more animals than I've saved by every metric you can imagine.

I've eaten a lot of fish that I've caught for instance, and wiped out countless mounds of fire ants.

I've never even donated to an organization that saves animals, because I'd rather give to organizations that help humans.  

Helping critters in need is pretty much my life. Fixing feral cats, fostering kittens, rescuing dogs, nursing an injured raccoon back to health, helping an abused chicken and getting her to sanctuary, aiding in pig rescue, baby birds, snakes, toads, etc. Even the smallest matter. Just last week I moved a grasshopper and a caterpillar out of the road. Fluttershy is my spirit animal. :awuh:

• Brohoof 1

Two of my cats are rescues. My dog was a rescue. And since I've started watching the show, I've tried capturing whatever bugs I find in my home and take them outside (unless they're mosquitos or wasps, both which my parents are allergic to). Found a box elder bug at work and moved it away. Found a mouse at my last job, captured it and set it free. Found a butterfly, caught it and set it free. Also found a bird stuck in a shopping cart, tried to release it, but it just flew into the wall, so some customers volunteered to take it to the vet. 

Last month my family and I were eatign at a restaurant, and in the window, saw a really big bug, like a dragonfly, get stuck in a spiders web. We made the following jokes about what the spiders thought.

- "Whoa holy s--t! Meredith! Come luck at this! Our babies are gonna be fed for months!" 

- "Um okay, I'ver caught this thing. What do I do now?" 

Mom asked me to go out and save it. So I took a ruler by the cash register and went outside. Turns out, it was actually a preying mantis that got stuck. So I cut away the webbing it was stuck in and set it free. Btu the thing started crawling upwards towards the rest of the web and I was like "No! You're going the wrong way!" The fam told me to give up at that point. But luckily when we left, the mantis wasn't stuck anymore.

Oh and I do donate to animal shelters and hospitals. 

A bit of advice on that though. Do not donate to PETA or the ASPCA. PETA ends up killing about 90% of the animals it takes in. And out of all that gets donated to the ASPCA, only 10% actually goes to helping animals. Be smart, and donate to shelters and animal hospitals instead. 

I always try to save a dog if I see it loose,   which has got me into some strange moments and late for work on more than one time.  I picked up my cat at a walmart parking lot and both my dogs were recused,   had my daisy for 17 years and my little poddle mix for 15 and my cats nine now.     If i see anyone hurting any animal, i try to stop it like a few days ago when I saw a collage kid trying to kick a crow with a bum wing and i yelled at him. 

My family found two black labs in a ditch outside our house and adopted one, giving the other to a neighbor. Both dogs were well cared-for and loved their whole lives and enriched our lives as well. Certainly worth doing!

My parents always put out food for animals too. When they lived in the country, they put out feed corn for the deer, and seed for the birds (even nectar for the hummers). And I do try to pick turtles out of the road when that time of year comes around.  :twi:

I love animals and insects, and I try to help them as much as I can! My current kitty is a rescue and I love him to pieces. I want to become a vet when I'm older as well, so I guess I'm going to be helping a lot more in the future hahaha

• Brohoof 1

I have not done anything major but have been nicer to animals and insects, even if I don't particulary like them. The interesting thing is, it helped me become more caring and compassionate about them. :kindness:

The biggest example is my attitude toward spiders. I used to absolutely hate them, and was terrified of them. I would scream if I saw one and would try to kill it (if I was brave enough to go near it). They terrified me and I hated them.

Recently, for some reason I decided to be nicer to them. Though reluctantly I would try not to kill them and release them if I could. I am still a bit scared of spiders, especially of the large ones, but I have grown closer to them and will not kill them. (Unfortunately some family members think otherwise).

I have found them to be fascinating, and even cute. Whenever I see one or really any insect (yes I know they aren't insects I am just trying to easily explain) I pick them up, though it can sometimes be a pain, and take them outside. Unfortunately I may have killed a few by accident.

It's not big, but I really appreciate wildlife, even the insects. It fascinates me now.

• Brohoof 1

Of course.  I might not do any major rescues but I do help animals out when I can.  Most of the time however, it's cats as strays or abandoned cats are around often.  I'll feed them, nurse them as much as I can if needed, bathed them if in need of it (to get rid of any fleas and the like) as well as giving them general attention.  If it's raining, I'll keep them inside with me until they're ready to leave.  I've helped so many in fact, that many of the cats in the neighborhood tend to stop by nearly daily as they are comfortable around here and know that there's always food and water waiting for them.  Or somewhere dry to rest before their next outting.  

There are also several types of insects which may not mean a lot to many but I've saved many of them from being crushed or harmed by doing something as simple as having them crawl on some paper and dropping them off somewhere as safe as I can find outside and out of people's way, whether it be on a tree or on specific area of grass.  

Now, if only there were frogs around for me to keep help.

Edited by AmarisNsane

The biggest example is my attitude toward spiders. I used to absolutely hate them, and was terrified of them. I would scream if I saw one and would try to kill it (if I was brave enough to go near it). They terrified me and I hated them. Recently, for some reason I decided to be nicer to them. Though reluctantly I would try not to kill them and release them if I could. I am still a bit scared of spiders, especially of the large ones, but I have grown closer to them and will not kill them. (Unfortunately some family members think otherwise).

I thank you, as one who loves spiders, for your endeavors of kindness towards arachnids.  Spiders are my second favorite animal (octopuses occupy the top spot), and I hate to hurt them and like to observe them.

• Brohoof 1

I have always had a soft spot for animals. If I can ever help one, I will. 

A lot of rabbits live around here and a good amount of them get stuck in our window wells. I cannot tell you how many I have gotten out and released. The same goes with frogs and toads as well. Not to mention, I am a veterinary technician & a groomer. I suppose it's safe to say that I help animals.

:grin:

• Brohoof 1

I've never had to help an animal in my life, although I probably would if I could do something. I'd at the very least call an animal ambulance if it was injured. I don't go out of my way to help bugs, though. I generally don't kill bugs that don't bother me, but that's as far as I've gone. Aside from this, if I see a monstrous bug that freaks me out solely because of its appearance, I will crush it into oblivion before it decides to...I don't know, scuttle harmlessly towards me or something.