Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games that haven't aged well.

CastletonSnob

Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time haven't stood the test of time with the former being even worse since it was one of the first games released on the Nintendo 64.

• Brohoof 1

Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time haven't stood the test of time with the former being even worse since it was one of the first games released on the Nintendo 64.

Whoa there, those games still play very well and still have some good visuals for its time, those are the last games I'd say aged poorly.

My vote goes to a few early console shooters like Goldeneye and Medal of Honor/Underground, modern controls feel so much better and going back to these games are a real chore due to their archaic control scheme(as much as I love MoH). Really wished Goldeneye got the same treatment Perfect Dark got

Final Fantasy Vii graphically, character models are pretty fugly, especially compared to VIII and IX

Also, a good chunk of NES games. Save for a few exceptions like Super Mario, Punch Out, Megaman, and Contra, most games aren't as fun to play as games that have made improvements to their original formula, especially if it's a long running franchise. Metroid is such an easy game to get lost in especially with the lack of maps, starting with a third of health and a password system for its kind of game is bullshit, and the original Zelda is one of the most fucking cryptic games ever, Castlevania is a game where the difficulty feels artificial and more frustrating than genuine difficulty, and Final Fantasy just an incredibly basic game when you get down to it with that really weird "buy your abilities" system. Just in the next gen, Super Metroid, ALTTP, Castlevania IV and FFIV/VI completely curbstomp them

• Brohoof 3

Whoa there, those games still play very well and still have some good visuals for its time, those are the last games I'd say aged poorly.

Their portable remakes do a much better job and capture the magic that Nintendo had originally envisioned but couldn't utilize because the Nintendo 64 had limitations due to being a console that relied on cartridges. I do agree that Goldeneye 007 hasn't aged well especially since other multiplayer games have come along and blown it out of the water.

With the Mega Man games on the NES, only the original hasn't stood up very well because of its ridiculous difficulty.

Goldeneye 64/Perfect Dark.  Both games were huge hits when they came out and I remember playing them a lot when I was a kid.  Looking back on them, though, the aiming system requires a large amount of dexterity considering the design of the N64 controller, and it was almost always more efficient to just run straight at your enemies and hold the trigger down instead of standing still, holding right bumper and trying to maneuver the reticule on target.

Fallout 3 hasn't aged well either.  Once again, it was an amazing game when it came out and there was so much to do, but compared to its sequels, it's really mechanically bland.  There aren't a whole lot of weapons to choose from, and New Vegas, alone, added so much more content that Fallout 3 simply became an inferior version of the former (I'm referring to the mechanics, not the story, PLEASE DON'T HATE ME AAAAAAA-)

Another one of my favorite games that hasn't aged well is the first Mass Effect.  When I first played it, I was blown away.  When Mass Effect 2 came out, I found it really hard to believe my friends that it was so much better than this.  As it turned out, after playing Mass Effect 2, it kinda was.  Not only were the animations, framerate, and enemy dialogue improved, but the entire inventory system the first game had was thrown out, which simplified things incredibly for me because inventory management became incredibly tedious.  The worst part about the first game was the repetitive side missions, and those were thrown out, as well.

• Brohoof 3

i have to say fallout games befor fallout 3 imo I got into the games with 4 and I enjoyed it so I looked up the first one and I have to say

it does not look as fun as 3 or 4 and pokemon red /blue! I still like the games tho!

i have to say fallout games befor fallout 3 imo I got into the games with 4 and I enjoyed it so I looked up the first one and I have to say

it does not look as fun as 3 or 4

I'd say that those games simply have a different playstyle.  Fallout 1's and 2's gameplay is still relevant, it's just not what the mainstream wants.  Taking a top-down isometric turn-based game and turning it into a first/third-person real-time one was an excellent move on Bethesda's part, since it made the game much more appealing.

I might be wrong, but I believe that the general definition of a game that "hasn't aged well" is one whose mechanics/gameplay are no longer relevant in the modern games industry, where objectively better concepts are present.

Agreed with those who mentioned Godeneye and Perfect Dark: those games aged really poorly. There's no question that they helped popularize the modern FPS -- but when I tried going back to play Perfect Dark about a year ago, the poor controls and sluggish gameplay were readily apparent. The N64 and its controllers were not kind to those games, either.

• Brohoof 2

I went back to playing both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 earlier this year and completely agree with what everyone said. It's too difficult to play because the awkward controller makes it easier to accidentally let go of the joystick while targeting.

Speaking of Nintendo 64 games, I feel Shadows of the Empire hasn't aged well either. The debug code is almost impossible to do now because of all the effort that has to be done (it's very easy to lose grip on that control stick). The flying levels are still the selling point, while I feel the third-person shooter levels felt like an afterthought.

The original Megaman games have aged horrendously in my opinion. The insane difficulty do to poor design really makes those games very unfun to play these days, at least to me.

Mario Kart 64, as much as I love the game, just hasn't stood the test of time. The rubber banding AI and lack of overall content brings the game down. Still a fun game though despite that.

Some have mentioned the original Perfect Dark. I think the one that has aged worse is the sequel, Perfect Dark Zero. That game now feels absolutely ancient in pretty much every gameplay aspect. I give the original some slack because it was essentially the epitome of shooters for that console. PDZ was on a system that essentially later mastered shooters and it also launched alongside Call of Duty 2, which was vastly superior gameplay-wise.

Rock'em Sock'em Robots Arena is a PS1 fighting game that didn't age well either. It was cool for the time but it was already fairly outdated compared to other 3D fighters at the time and you can kinda tell how that doesn't mean anything good for nowadays.

The original Megaman games have aged horrendously in my opinion. The insane difficulty do to poor design really makes those games very unfun to play these days, at least to me.

Mario Kart 64, as much as I love the game, just hasn't stood the test of time. The rubber banding AI and lack of overall content brings the game down. Still a fun game though despite that.

Some have mentioned the original Perfect Dark. I think the one that has aged worse is the sequel, Perfect Dark Zero. That game now feels absolutely ancient in pretty much every gameplay aspect. I give the original some slack because it was essentially the epitome of shooters for that console. PDZ was on a system that essentially later mastered shooters and it also launched alongside Call of Duty 2, which was vastly superior gameplay-wise.

Rock'em Sock'em Robots Arena is a PS1 fighting game that didn't age well either. It was cool for the time but it was already fairly outdated compared to other 3D fighters at the time and you can kinda tell how that doesn't mean anything good for nowadays.

MK64 has FEWER courses than the previous game, Super Mario Kart. SMK has 20, and MK64 only has 16. Even if we count battle courses, MK64 still has fewer, since SMK would have 24 total courses, and MK64 would have 20. 

I also like SMK's Rainbow Road better. IMO, MK64's Rainbow Road goes on too long. 

Edited by VG_Addict

Weren't Psychic types overpowered in Red and Blue, because of their high Special Attack? 

Special attack and Special defense weren't invented yet, so it was only one special slot that was powerful on psychic types, I think.

The only type that was super effective against psychic was bug, but there were like no attacks that were able to take use of this.

Dark and Steel type had to be invented in Gen 2 because of this.

Old Pokemon games have not aged very well. Especially the first two generations. They are practically unplayable by today's standards. The improvements that have been gradually added over the generations since have made the games MUCH better, even if I still think that Generation II added the most to the games.

• Brohoof 1

Any of Rated M Games (expect for Grand theft Auto in which I used to play as a Kid)

Could you go more in depth with this?  Do you mean all rated M games made within a certain time period?  Because if not, then I obviously and whole-heartedly disagree.